Were You in the Classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CFClassroom, Sep 11, 2011.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2011

I just posted about my memories from the classroom on 9/11/01 here. Were you teaching at the time? I would love to hear other people's stories.

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 11, 2011

I was in the classroom....as a student! My teacher was horrified. She put on the news and we just watched it all day. Lots of kids got picked up by their families.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 11, 2011

I was in the classroom as a teacher. The principal came to each class and told us that something terrible had happened in another part of the country. She did not even elaborate as to what "IT" was. She asked that we NOT turn on TVs or discuss anything with the kids. Our school was put on lock down as was every school in the district. The kids were unaware. Many parents came and picked up their children who were blissfully unaware. Of course as the day wore on, the teachers found out about the tragedy in whispered voices. The schools stance was that they wanted parents to be the ones to sit down and tell students about the tragedy. It felt right to me too. It seemed like something a parent should share with their child, so that there were no misconceptions and if they chose to shield their child in some way that was their choice. If they chose to have the days events on the TV and watch with their children then that was their choice. We received minimal flack for not telling the students about the tragedy as it unfolded. However, there were a select few parents that felt that we should have used that moment as a teachable moment. There was no right or wrong way that this could have been handled. I just did exactly as I was asked to the letter.

5. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

I was in college....sleeping instead of at my 8:00am class :unsure:
    My friend came bursting in and told me a plane crashed into the WTC. We watched the news thinking it was a freaky accident.....and then as we were watching TV we saw the second plane crash live. I remember us hugging on the couch, crying. It was so powerful even just through my TV.....I can't imagine having lived through the reality. :(

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 11, 2011

I was teaching kindergarten. We were put on lock-down. Some parents came to pick up their kids early. We left with the kids at the end of the day.

As parents came they told us what had happened. At lunch we listened to the radio. I remember the principal wouldn't let a teacher take a phone call from her husband. He was a marine in DC.

I remember the rumors about riots in Dearborn, Michigan home to the largest Muslim population in the U.S. I took a different way home to avoid Dearborn.

At some point in time there were also bomb threats at the federal building in Detroit. Either that day or the next. That part is a blur.

7. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Sep 11, 2011

I was at school, but because we're in a different time zone, school hadn't started yet. We were in band practice. I was a high school sophomore at the time.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

It was the start of year #2 as a Stay at home Mom.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

I teach just a few miles north of the George Washington Bridge into NYC. I was teaching that day. Our principal came around, told the teachers and an announcement was made that we would have indoor recess that day. The kids were told that they were treating the grounds for bugs that day so we shouldn't go outside. I was able to check the news on the computer while my kids were at a special. At lunchtime we all got together and watched he news channels in the library. We didn't know if parents would make it to school to pick up their kids that day and our town sent first responders to the towers. Dh was driving across the bridge when one of the planes hit the towers. He was sure the bridge would be targeted as well. We lost friends who were in the Pentagon that day. I tutor a student whose dad was on one of the planes. It was a long time before I could wake up in the morning and not have that day as my first thought. It was my first thought this morning. Terrible day.:(

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 11, 2011

I was a college student and a friend called and told me the news. I remember being confused. I went to class and students were in the lounge gathered around a TV. I went to two classes and remember being furious that our Christian college was not canceling classes. In hindsight, I realize they were trying to keep people calm. We did end up having a prayer chapel a few hours later.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 11, 2011

I was teaching third grade. We were informed via in house email and had to tell the children later that afternoon because many children were upset without knowing why. All they knew was the teachers were acting funny.

12. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 11, 2011

I was working as a Purchasing Manager in a small rural hospital. One of our custodians stopped by my office and said a plane had hit a skyscraper. I didn't think much about it at first, but decided to walk down the hall towards our patient rooms to find a TV.

I found a lot of my coworkers gathered around the TV in the first room watching the events unfold. Then the plane hit the 2nd tower and we just stared in shocked silence. Nobody said a word. We just stared at the screen and at each other in disbelief and we knew our world had just changed forever.

On this day, let us never forget the innocent victims of ALL races and cultures that day nor the selfless heroes that willingly rushed into the heart of danger that day to save the ones they could...many at the cost of their own lives.

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2011

School hadn't started for us yet. I was getting ready and my neighbor called and told me to turn on the tv. At school, I was amazed at the somber atmosphere in the lunch room that day. I worked in the Deaf Ed dept. For the most part, those young deaf kids ignored tv news but it was beautiful and sad watching the older Deaf students explain to the younger ones what had happened.
    ASL is such a vibrant language and facial expressions really tell a story. All the feelings and emotions I felt were in Kathy's face and hands as she told the story. It's still as vivid in my mind as the videos on tv of the planes hitting the towers.

14. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

I was teaching 7th grade science and social studies. My class was in the media center. A math teacher came in and told me a plane had just hit one of the buildings of the WTC. I took my kids back to the room. They were very concerned. Though it was suggested that we not watch the news, I turned it on in my room. We were watching as the second plane hit.

To this day I still have kids from then, in college now, who have thanked me for letting them watch instead of keeping them in the dark.

This day should by an official national holiday in my opinion- in order to celebrate the Americans who survived, and the heroes in emergency services, and the heroes of Flight 93 who sacrificed everything for their fellow citizens.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 11, 2011

I had a two year old at home, a 2.5 month old in ICU and a marriage in deep trouble, so I'd decided that being a SAHM was what was best for my family.

16. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 11, 2011

I was teaching 5th graders. We watched about ten minutes of the coverage, and then went back to our 'normal' day. I was in a fog all day, and couldn't begin to guess what the kids learned that day.

The clearest memory from that day happened on the way home. I had to get gas, it was a gorgeous day, and the stranger across the lot who was also getting gas and I exchanged friendly reassuring smiles. It seemed as though there was a sense of closeness the tragedy brought us.

17. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

I live just outside of NYC. I grew up with a view of the Empire State Building from my bedroom window.

10:11 I had a class of 5th graders, and they walked in asking if we could put on the radio. I said, sorry, no... and they said that Mr. P's class (not their teacher) had it on and that NYC was being attacked and that there were jets flying over the city. I thought they must have heard about it wrong... there's no way. When their teacher came in she said, "Something very serious is going on, and we need to go back to the classroom and talk about it."
    My mouth hung open. My next class were 1st graders, so I couldn't find out just then what the story was. After that class ended it was lunch, so I called my girlfriend who had taken off of work that day to find out what was going on, while I went to another teacher's room to see the news. She told me that up to four planes were hijacked and that two of them hit the WTC... It was so unbelievable. At that time I got to the tv just to see the footage of the first building going down. I remember saying, "OMG, one of them collapsed." and she was like, "No, they are both gone." Then I saw the footage of the second building going down and I just burst into tears and just kept saying, "i want to go home." All the teacher had to get themselves together for the afternoon, and of course all afternoon kids left home early. By the end of the day my last class only had about 10 kids left, so the music teacher and I combined our class since she was across the hall. Some of the kids were upset and crying and asking if the school could be blown up next, and we assured them that they were in a very safe place.

The way home was surreal. Some of the major roads in my area were closed due to security, but when I caught site of the smoking skyline I burst into tears again. At home the air was pretty thick and there was dust on everything... I had a hard time sleeping for a few nights... esp. disconcerting was the sounds of the jet planes flying overhead.

A few weeks later I went to the funeral for the father of one of my students. His finger was found and identified by an inscription on the inside of his wedding band. One of our teacher's also lost her brother in law.

I still have difficulty watching anything about it. When I do it's always with a knot in my stomach and tears in my eyes.

18. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 11, 2011

I woke up that morning and took a positive pregnancy test. It was my second one in 6 months, and all I was hoping was that this one would stick. I floated into the building and was still floating around when the planes crashed. I had a room full of five year olds who had no idea what was going on. The entire office staff was outside of my classroom watching footage on my TV pulled into the hallway. I had to finally them what was going on. I took the kids outside at 10:15 to the playground so that I could call my husband to talk. It was horrifying. All day long - kids were being pulled out of my room, and I just keep telling the remainin kids that they were going to the dentist. by the end of the day, the remaining kids were worried that they had not gone to the dentist yet.

I left school and drove to an overlook where we could see the skyline, and watched the smoke - it was surreal There is a beautiful memorial there now.
    [​IMG]

19. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2011

I live in California so I was on my way to school when the radio spokesperson made the announcement of the first tower falling and then the second tower fell before I arrived at work. At first I thought it was made up, since I had no knowledge of the planes hitting the buildings, so I was how would the buildings fall? After listening for a while I realized it sounded for real. I got there and then the staff met and were told not to say anything to the children.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 11, 2011

Yes, I was teaching. I'm on year 19. I was teaching both 7th and 8th graders at the time. I remember that I was sick, and we were watching short story videos and tracking plot lines, so the room was dark. Between classes, a co-worker mentioned what happened, and I turned on the television. We ended up watching it off and on for the rest of the day. We didn't let the kids watch it nonstop, though.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

Well, I now know for a fact that the dean of men in my school wasn't in the classroom.

I was just watching the coverage-- I can't seem to stay away. And I saw him walk in front of the camera. He used to work in the financial district.

I can only imagine how painful this day is for him.

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2011

My younger sister was in 6th grade at the time. Our school was K-12 in one building. The older kids all knew what was going on (I was in high school), and we spent the day watching the news. The younger kids were kept unaware. My sister's class was unfortunately stuck in the middle. They knew something horrible was going on, but nobody would tell them what. As sixth graders, they changed a few classes, so they heard snippets in the hallway. My sister (and my mother, too) is forever grateful to her art teacher, who could tell when they came in the last period of the day that they were incredibly confused and scared, and finally sat down to talk with them.

23. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Sep 11, 2011

I was teaching in Bensonhurst Brooklyn at the time. You could see the skyline from the 4th floor of our building. We were heading into 2nd period and my ESL kids came rushing in saying that a plane had hit the towers. I didn't believe them, thinking they were up to no good, but they kept saying they had heard about it, and a few kids had been looking out the window on the 4th floor. I told them my boyfriend (husband now) worked right next door, so I would turn on my cellphone and if there was something wrong, he would call. I went on, reading "Strawberry Spring" by Stephen King to my kids, still really thinking nothing of it. My phone rang, and we all jumped. It was my bf, and he told me that a plane had hit earlier, and that he was waiting for evacuation orders. He started talking about the smoke and dust, and then the phone went dead. It was when the second plane hit the tower. At that point, teachers started gathering students together into rooms that had tvs and we were watching together. Parents started showing up and they asked anyone who could to stay until the last kid was picked up, but anyone who had an urgent need to leave could leave. I spent most of the rest of the day watching the tv and monitoring children. Debris from the airplanes (an inflight magazine) was found on our roof that afternoon. I spent the afternoon and evening trying to reach my bf in New Jersey, and finally at about 4:00 a.m. we met up somewhere in Jersey (I always get lost there), and ended up walking across the Bayonne Bridge back to Staten Island. We picked up my car two days later.

One of my students lost both her mother and father that day. I remember seeing her face when she realized she was an orphan. I still think of her every year. I also cry whenever I see anything. Although my husband was not in the buildings, the building collapsed on his building, and he could have been killed. He also has had to live with the memory of watching people jump from the towers.

24. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

I was in college during 2001. However, I was at the orthodontist's office when it happened.

25. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 11, 2011

I was homeschooling my kids on 9/11. We were a military family stationed in Monterey, CA. My ex-called home and told us to turn on the news and that the base as well as housing was locked down. He was not sure when he would be able to come home. I turned on the news and woke the kids up. We watched the news and talked about the events all day. When we did go out it was amazing to see tanks set up on street corners to protect military housing. This was not normal.

26. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

I was in the classroom, but as a student. I was in 9th grade, and still went the junior high, but 9th graders were still welcome to participate in high school activities. I had had an early morning practice at the high school, and my mom came to pick me up to take me over to the junior high. She told me when she picked me up. They tried to pretend it wasn't happening at school, so I got together with some friends and ditched out of school, we went to our friends house and basically watched TV until our parents called to find out where we were (since we were still there after curfew).

27. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 11, 2011

I was teaching 10th grade U.S. Government and 11th grade U.S. History that year. I remember teaching my 2nd period class about John Locke and Thomas Jefferson. When the bell rang, one of my 3rd period students came to my door and asked me if I had heard that two planes had just flown into the Twin Towers. I didn't even believe her at first, because it sounded so absurd to me, but she told me to turn on the TV in my classroom to see for myself. When I saw what was happening, I tried to find the other teachers in my hallway to let them know. The principal later came over the PA to make an announcement about what happened, and told us that we were having an early dismissal at the end of 4th period. I remember the roads being so quiet as I drove home.

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 11, 2011

I was a Freshman in college. Like most days, I woke up that morning to the sound of my alarm clock radio. I remember so vividly what the disc jockey was saying and I truly thought I was dreaming. I went to the living room, turned on the TV, and stood there in disbelief. I called my mom and we were both in a state of shock. It was so incredibly hard for me to grasp what had happened.

School didn't officially close that day; however, almost all my professors cancelled class.

29. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 11, 2011

I posted my story on one of the other threads, but I was teaching 4th grade math. (Fractions) I could just about list the kids who were in my room that day. Some teachers did let the kids watch the news. I didn't. I thought that was a decision for their parents to make, and honestly, I didn't know if I could hold it together to watch. They knew something was going on. Teachers were huddling together crying and talking. I explained to them in as simple of terms as I could and left it at that. I recorded the newscast this morning. (I had to stay up until 5:30 for my niece to come home.) I will now sit and watch it and cry all over again. I just remember feeling that all the security I had was gone and that I was helpless. That there was not a thing I could do to help those poor people.

30. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Sep 11, 2011

I was in 8th grade at the time. I was taking a science test in my gifted class when our teacher let us know that one plane had hit the first tower. One of the other students said, "Look, there's a second plane in the picture." (She showed us an Internet photo, rather than playing the news.) We didn't know until later that it was the second plane just as it was about to hit.

31. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 11, 2011

I was in 8th grade. The principal came over the announcements and told everyone to turn on the tvs and we watched the footage. Throughout the day, some teachers just had us watch the tvs/talk about what was happening and some turned them off and tried to carry on class as normal.

32. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

I was in 8th grade when it happened. I remember that were in our computer science class and instead of doing lessons, our coach/teacher had us playing games while he did football plays with the boys. Oddly enough I was playing.... Crimson Skies (airplane shooter game) on mine when the announcement came over the loudspeaker. The principal told all the teachers to turn on our classroom televisions and by the time we got ours on the second plane had hit. I don't know that I will ever get that image out of my head, the people jumping for their lives.... it's just something I'll never forget even though I'm one of those that tries to... forget the worst details.

33. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2011

I was a junior in high school and was in French class. Someone ran in to tell our teacher and they turned on the tv. I don't remember much, but when we went to our next class the vice principal had to come get me and take me out in the hall. My dad is a pilot for American Airlines and had called the school to make sure they told me he was ok.

34. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

I was in corporate meetings. We had about 50 employees fly in the night before. We had another 60 suppose to fly in that day, luckily none were on those flights. We had all sorts of rumors flying around the office as we did not have tv's, but they let those based in in NJ and NY go back to the hotel to call loved ones. The rest of us were in shock and tried to get through our meetings.

My DH was out of town on business and flying back on Friday. He decided to fly back and was bumped up to first class due to Elite Status. He was on one side of the aisle and a marine was on the other. The flight attendant came up to them and said "I feel comfortable with you two up here. I was a wreck until he landed!!!

35. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 11, 2011

I was running late for school. I had GMA on, and heard the first plane, and I remember them saying they thought it was a private plane accident. My husband is a private pilot, so I peaked around the corner to see what was going on, and just then the second plane hit. I couldn't move. I remember feeling like I was going to throw up. I finally drug myself out the door, at the time I lived a block from the school. I was running up the hill, and my super and guidance counselor were standing outside. They started to give me a bad time for being late, and I just burst into tears. I finally got it out to go turn on the tv. I was interpreting at that time, and we were just to go to class. I remember the history teacher going around and giving everyone updates, and I started dreading seeing him.

That night, I remember the lines at the gas station, as everyone was filling up before prices went up.

36. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 11, 2011

I was in the classroom, but we were forbidden to give our students any information whatsoever.

Here's my link.

37. fuzzyelmo

fuzzyelmo Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

I was in 6th grade when it happened. I heard about it as I was going to school, but we didn't know it was deliberate at that time. My World History teacher had the TV on as we entered the room and we watched it off and on during her class period. It was hard for her to teach as we were all being pulled out for early dismissal one by one, but I'm glad she let us watch the news coverage.