Were you hired after student teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Jan 23, 2018.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Jan 23, 2018

I want to know what my chances are getting hired in a district. I feel as if obtaining a Masters Degree in Elementary Education is unnecessary because I am not sure if a school will hire me. I attend Grand Canyon University online and I will be doing student teaching in August!. I do not want to get an advanced degree in a field where it will be hard to find a job. Please help. I am living in south georgia

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 23, 2018

Personally, if I was hoping to be hired by a local school district, I’d attend a local university.

4. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 23, 2018

how come

5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 23, 2018

I didn’t get a job until two years after I student taught, but I also applied in a much more competitive school district right after graduation than the one I’m in now.

I wouldn’t worry so much about what might happen. If you’re pursuing your degree now, keep at it. Education is never wasted. Do your student teaching and make some solid connections with people at your school. Networking can go a long way in education.

Your chances of getting hired depend on so many factors that no one here can really give you an answer.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 23, 2018

Because people have an inherent bias toward what they know over what they don’t. Most people look at online universities skeptically.

czacza likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2018

So you have already invested the money to take the course work for your master's, up to an undisclosed point, and now you think you may not get a job once done because you did all of the work online. Do I understand that correctly? Your alternative to finishing the degree you started is what, exactly? Is your undergrad a viable teaching degree? Do you need the master's to be competitive, either in education or content matter? Have you passed state teacher certification exams already, which would allow you at apply for jobs requiring a certificate? Are you lacking course matter that you need to qualify you to take teacher's exams?

It just kind of seems that you are kind of deep into the process to be having these concerns. How many credits have you earned to date towards this master's degree? Perhaps you don't have as many credits as I would of thought, therefore, you don't have as much invested in dollars and cents, which might make it easier to walk away from the program. Surely you must have had a plan, or talked to people about this way of earning your master's.

Did you complete a student teaching experience with your undergrad degree? I'm starting to think "NO", which would explain why you have jumped into the online master's program, but I am just guessing. Have you had your transcript evaluated to find out what may or may not be needed to take teacher exams, with or without the master's degree. If your transcript is strong enough and the state approves it, it would seem like you may be able to apply as an AR candidate if you can pass whatever teacher exams are required in Georgia.

You just seem pretty scattered and disorganized in this effort, but I am sure these is more to the story - there always is. I am somewhat flabbergasted that you could be attending classes without having answers - that wouldn't be my cup of tea. Good luck.

Caesar753 likes this.
  8. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jan 24, 2018

I was hired by the school that I student taught in. But I think it was a combination of making a good impression, having the recommendation of my MT and I think most importantly, there was an opening.

9. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 24, 2018

Hey Vickilyn. I chose this route because I have an undergrad degree in Sociology and Anthropology. I worked briefly in social services when I decided to make the switch to education. I needed the MEd because all the preparation courses required a certain GPA and passing the program assessment. With GCU, I was able to get into the program with my GPA and experience. I did not have to take a program examination. Yes, you are correct. I am in too deep to quit. It's just that my previous experience with missing the sub course is causing me to have anxiety and doubts. It was one way that I could have made an impression on the teachers and the district. Now, I have to wait until March

10. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jan 24, 2018

Well, I do wish I had studied computer science, instead....

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2018

You can't change what is done, but you can make changes that will prevent you from making the same mistakes repeatedly. I sense a pattern in not completely thinking things through, paying attention to details, or getting all of the facts before you act. Have you, in fact, checked with the GaPSC to make sure that your online master's is an accepted way to teacher certification in Georgia? I certainly hope so. Have you attempted to pass the GACE in Elementary Education? Usually these tests are all about knowing the content knowledge you would be teaching, not the pedagogy, so I would want to make sure that I could pass the GACE in my desired content area before jumping into a master's program of any kind.

I came to teaching through the AR program in my state, but you better believe that the very first thing I did was take and pass the Praxis exams required by my state, because if I couldn't pass that, the whole AR thing was kind of pointless. The AR will teach you how to teach, but not give you any more instruction in your content area (what you want to teach), so I didn't want to commit to the AR program if I wasn't able to pass the Praxis exams. The GACE is your content/subject matter test, so you really should be certain you can pass that before completing/paying for the masters, IMO. This kind of speaks to the part about getting all the facts before you act. Passing the GACE is kind of step one.

czacza and Caesar753 like this.
  12. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 24, 2018

Yes the GCU is accredited and the GAPSC accepts their program. I did research everything that I need to know and will be taking the GACE next month. I just do not want to spend all this money on an advanced degree and will not receive a position. I may have a good chance of getting hired at the school in my hometown which is 40 mins away. Being that it is in Florida I may have to apply for reciprocity

13. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 24, 2018

Also, what is an AR

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 24, 2018

I did not get hired in the district that I student taught in, but I also did not apply there. I moved to another state after graduation.

The district where I currently teach is so in need of teachers that they have created an alternate certification program. Candidates with a bachelors degree (in any subject) and who have passed basic Praxis tests can attend an intensive summer program, and weekly meetings, and after a year of satisfactory observations and submitting a portfolio obtain a teaching certificate. However, principals are more likely to hire someone with a Masters than someone in alt cert because the alt cert program does not have a great completion rate, so often those teachers are "one and done."

If the area where you are living is very competitive, it may be more difficult to find a job with a degree from an online college. But, if there is a teacher shortage in your area, principals would be happy to have you.

15. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 24, 2018

16. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 24, 2018

Thanks for the encouragement. I am also not sure if I want to do public school or preschool. so much decesions

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2018

In reading through what Georgia accepts for AR, they even accept people who don't have an undergraduate degree yet. You can teach and learn at the same time. Of course, you do have to get a school to hire you first to apply for the certificate that goes with that. I'm thinking that if they will consider people who haven't finished their undergraduate program, they will almost certainly consider someone who completed their master's degree. Will it be the district where you live?, Who knows.

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2018

Now you are thinking that Florida is a more likely place to work? Why didn't you just follow Florida's path to a certificate instead of Georgia's? It seems like a convoluted way of getting into teaching in Florida, and you may very well have to pass their teacher exams even if they accept your coursework. That is VERY common.

Of course, you could worry less about being hired exactly where you are now, and consider other locations in Georgia that might be desperate for teachers. Admittedly, elementary teachers are among the most plentiful certificates to have, and that is true in virtually any state.

19. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 24, 2018

Maybe I do need to look in other cities in Georgia..... You are right about that.

20. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2018

That seems more reasonable to me. You need to understand that I seek the most logical choices and plans. I'm a science teacher through and through, and it is just how I view and navigate the world. I don't expect anyone to be perfect - nature doesn't work like that; however, when I speak of life lessons I am dead serious and earnest. We will all make mistakes, but not everyone is destined to make the same mistakes over and over, because they learned the lesson the first time around. Most teachers have had students, however, who seemingly never learn from their mistakes, repeating them over and over. That, as a trait, isn't logical, and can be somewhat annoying. Even though I know that we don't all learn the same way, I have to wonder if the person who fails to learn from their mistakes is even remotely invested in learning. Do they want to truly acquire knowledge, or are they content to just mess with anyone who is trying to help/teach them?

I watched my son struggle to find a teaching job, and I understand being worried about outcomes. Fortunately, my son spent time learning why my plan of action was different than his own, which was all I wanted, and then he could make his own decisions about paths to take or change. There were trials and tribulations, and he often thought "why me?" I always quoted Einstein: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Paraphrased, it becomes change your input to get different results.

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 24, 2018

This is exactly what happened to me, too!

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 24, 2018

I was hired immediately after student teaching (actually, I was offered the job prior to wrapping up my student teaching gig). Worked out wonderfully. Twelve years later, I'm still in the same district.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2018

No. I student taught in rural Indiana (shoutout to @AmyMyNamey) and had no plans to stay there for my career.

24. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 24, 2018

I got hired during student teaching. I know a few people that did not get hired for a couple of years, however. I think it depends upon your subject, what positions come available during your internship and most importantly, how well you do during your student teaching. I will be honest, online programs like you've mentioned get less respect than more established universities. You might have to work a little harder at getting your name out there.

25. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 24, 2018

I thought that maybe Grand Canyon was a well-respected university. It is located in Arizona. I also know of a teacher that went the same route I did and was hired as a 3rd-grade teacher the following year

26. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jan 24, 2018

I graduated in the fall, long term subbed, and then got a job at the school I subbed at. If you can, use this time to network, network, network!

27. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 24, 2018

My district partners with GCU for teachers looking for continuing education or Master's to keep their certification current. They're accredited, it seems like their programs are pretty intense (6 week terms), and I've yet to really hear anything bad about them. Multiple teachers at my school are working on their master's through GCU right now. The GCU lady was actually at the school today. She brought us pizza (irrelevant to the conversation, but still nice).

28. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 24, 2018

I wouldn’t hire a teacher who got most of their training online as I’ve experienced how easy it is to BS your way through online classes. Masters degrees (non admin) are just about moving over on the guide so I wouldn’t care.

Just my personal opinion. I’m in an online program now for what it’s worth.

29. Kindergally

Kindergally Rookie

Jan 25, 2018

I would say follow through with student teaching and then start applying. If you don't get any job offers, start subbing and possibly long term sub. I think if schools see your teaching in action and get to know you, your performance is going to outweigh what university you attended. I graduated with my masters 6 years ago and no one has really inquired about where I went since then.

30. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jan 25, 2018

I was hired as a summer school math teacher after student-teaching. Then, a few interviews later, I was hired as a full-time math teacher.

31. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 25, 2018

I'm more interested in hearing from the people who were hired BEFORE student teaching.

32. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 25, 2018

I wasn't hired, but I was offered teaching jobs before I finished the program. I held out for what I really wanted and was fortunate enough to get it.

33. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 25, 2018

Yes. The MEd courses are extremely intense. Although the program is rigorous, the instructs are very nice and understanding. I wonder do we have to call around for student teaching or will the field experience counselor do it. In the meantime, I have to study for the teacher exam

34. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2018

Didn't GCU cover that in the literature you read before signing up for the degree? I believe that you will almost certainly be more involved in finding a placement than you would have been if you were taking the same coursework at a local university. It is something that I would learn about sooner rather than later, since much of it may fall on your shoulders. Just a thought.