Were Pep Rallies ever fun?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ELA 11 12, Jan 28, 2009.

1. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Jan 28, 2009

I was an athlete in high school, and am now a high school teacher. I never remember pep rallies being fun...

When were they invented and were they ever fun? Why aren't they fun anymore?

What happened to school spirit?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2009

I've been out for 10 years, but I loved our HS pep rallies!! We were a small town, small school and we revovled around football so we had great school spirit. I don't live in that town anymore, so I have no idea how the pep rallies are now.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 28, 2009

Ditto, STG. My graduating class was 50, so we were a really tight knit school. We had the same teachers all four years, and loved to see them make fools of themselves. Plus, I was in band so we got to play at the all the rally's. I had a blast in high school during those events. But I can see how it wouldn't be so much fun at larger schools.

5. smalltowngal

Jan 28, 2009

I was in the band too!

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 28, 2009

I've been out of HS for 9 years, and I always thought they were lame. It was good to get out of class, but I felt they were solely for the popular kids. "They" were always the ones who participated in any games or competitions. I'm not even sure how the people were picked to be part of pep rallies, but I wasn't interested in watching a group of friends (who I didn't even hang out with) compete with one-another. Oh, another part that was actually fun was yelling "Go home, Freshmen!"

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2009

I graduated from high school in 2000. I hated hated hated pep rallies. I was, and still am, not into sports (I mean, I do like to play sports, but sitting there and watching it is so boring). I thought it was a waste of instructional time too. This is probably one reason why when I was in the tenth grade I left high school and enrolled into home school (it was not THE reason, but still...). Boy was I much happier!

8. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jan 28, 2009

Ok i graduated wayyyyyyback in 1977, and there were at least 500 in my class, but I LOVED pep rallies! The first two years I was just part of the crowd...but we loved Football and dressed in school colors had "Spirit Dolls," Spirit Tags, Every club made banners , we even decked out our cars! Maybe it helped that our HS had a great band and great football team. For my junior and senior year I was in Student Council and were part of the planning crew! I remember loving getting out of class. We even had pep rallies at the start of most of the different sports.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 28, 2009

See, I don't ever remember having a pep rally that related to sports. They were always during spirit weeks (such as homecoming) and they involved watching the pom squad do a dance, and then each grade had reps that competed in different games.

10. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Jan 28, 2009

The high school I attended is a small one. The school celebrated it's 75th anniversary 2 years ago and I attended. It was like walking back in time. I graduated in 1970 and nothing has changed. The gym is still the original one, it is not even regulation size for BB games but it is still used. The gym has a balcony and that is where the freshmen still sit for pep rallies. Seniors got their own side(not sure how 170 people fit) and sophomores and juniors share the other side. The walls would rattle and the floor rumble when the rallies would start. The surrounding shopkeepers would come over and join in. Even though I didn't play sports or was in the band I knew I belonged to a special group...the students at PLHS. In 1997 my high school was used as the setting for the movie In and Out with Tom Selleck and Kevin Kline.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2009

I'm another child of the 70's, and our pep rallies were always tied to sports. I remember buying a Spirit Card for a dime every week - you would get all your friends to sign it - and Friday night bonfires. Our football games were on Saturdays, and I was in the band too. Oh, and we had dances every Saturday night with a live band!

12. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Jan 28, 2009

I forgot about the bonfires and dances with REAL bands. And yes, our games were always on Saturday afternoons. No one had night games.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2009

I loved them, too. Apparently you had to go to a really small school and be in band to love them. haha. That was true for me, too.

A pep rally was like a contest when I was in school, especially the one at the end of spirit week. We got points based on which class participated the most throughout the week, who had the best hallway and float (does anyone do THOSE anymore?) and then there was the spirit cheer. It was a call back cheer, but everyone had it memorized, and whichever class did it the loudest WON! We had a spirit stick that we got possession of, but I don't know that we really "won" anything (which is just another thing I like about it - we put a lot of energy into "winning" for the sake of winning.)

And here is the cheer, because I still remember it...

Spirit, 1, 2, 3, 4
    Spirit's what we're yelling for.
    Spirit, spirit, spirit, Hey
    With spirit we go all the way.
    S-P-I
    R-I-T
    Spirit
    For Victory!

Wow, that's corny. haha.

14. smalltowngal

Jan 28, 2009

Silver, we did the same thing!!! Though, not that cheer.

We used to do bonfires for the Homecoming game.

15. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jan 28, 2009

I always enjoyed Pep rallies in middle school and in high school. Like several others, I was in band, and I think that made me enjoy it more than I might have otherwise.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 28, 2009

I was in band, but we only played at the very beginning of pep rallies. That was probably the part that I hated the most. I hated being in band!

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 28, 2009

We always built the homecoming float at our place, so I think that added to the spirit. We have five acres at my parents', and it's way out in the fields, so we could stay up all night. We also had a hot tub, and we called it 'splashing the duck'. Everyone brought their 'feathers' and we would go in after working on the float. We had pizza places donate huge amounts of pizza (we all worked there) and it was a blast. In the winter, we had Snowcoming, and we built 'sinks' instead of 'floats'. We had them on wagons that we wheeled around the gym.

Man, I'm so nostalgic now. ;)

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 28, 2009

When I was a HS student myself, I didn't really LOVE them. To me, I looked at it as less time in our 1st period class. I could take it or leave it, it didn't matter to me.

Of course, someone who's an athlete, in the band, or some other club would probably find pep rallies more significant. I was in a few things, but they didn't involve pep rallies.

19. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jan 29, 2009

I enjoyed our pep rallies in HS. It was about cheering our team to a win. We had them first thing on Friday mornings. We didn't have any kind of competitions involving students. We did have the Victory yell and the class that was the loudest won the spirit stick.

I coach cheerleading now (6-8 graders). We only have one or two pep rallies a year. I think most of the kids enjoy them but I am sure that the teachers would rather spend that time preparing for the state test.

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2009

They were more fun than 6th period chemistry.

21. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Jan 29, 2009

I can remember a lot of people having fun at pep rallies. I used to hate those people. I was way "too cool" for pep rallies in h.s. But now I think I would enjoy one much more :) Too bad my attitude was so poor back then ;)

Sometimes I think that any change in schedule throws kids off. Some kids that are into sports (or whatever the p.r. is celebrating) will have a great time, but a lot of kids just want to do the same thing everyday. Sometimes those pep rallies (or we have a lot of award stuff that kids do) just disrupt their day.

22. MsT

MsT Rookie

Jan 29, 2009

I enjoyed pep rallies in high school. Yes I was in band too. My school won many state championships in various sports and it was a great time to celebrate. I also went to school with some very funny and creative guys who never ceased to amaze me with their skits. It was a blast!

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 29, 2009

I loved pep rallies in hs! I was a cheerleader, so we got to plan them. They were always the same format, the band played, a couple of chants, then the coaches would talk, some silly skit, we would do a dance or cheer, then the Battle of the Classes. That is so silly now, but it was sooo important. Our chant was stupid, now that I think about it, but it had been done (and still is today) forever, so we just did it. It goes like this:

Listen my children, and you shall hear,
    About the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
    Going up the alleys and down the streets,
    Saying <myschool> Warriors can't be beat!
    Stand up!
    Then the classes would stand up together and yell as loud as they could the name of the class. The teachers would vote on who was loudest, and that class was the champion of the week. No prize, just bragging rights.

How silly! But it was just so important, I remember. My sisters were both cheerleaders back in the 80's, and they did it, and when I graduated in 1997, it was just as important. They still do it today!

We always ended with the school song, and doing our routine. Everyone claps and yells, even today, it gives me chills when we have pep rallies!

They don't anymore, but we used to do floats for big games.

Oh, and my school is K-12, about 200 students total.

24. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2009

Class of 73. Football pep rallies. We wore our jerseys to school on the Friday of a game. Captains or coach might speak for a minute. Big rallies if we were in state playoffs. I liked them.
    School spirit and all that.

25. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2009

I graduated in 1986. We had great pep rallies!! I was in the band. We had them in the mornings so it set the tone for the rest of the day. My freshman and sophomore year our football team was awful but still had great spirit. My junior senior years were great. New football coaching staff. Winning seasons. We had a great band too. Fast forward 23 years. This past year since I wasn't teaching I went to the pep rallies. They sucked!!! My son is in the band and my friend's daughter was on the dance team. For one they only had them one home game days. For two they were at the end of the day. For three the cheerleading sponsor (who was a cheerleader in high school with me) couldn't plan for sqat. They were unorganized and unplanned. wow could I have been more neagative or what! BTW GO BIG BLUE!!! I still have school spirit!!! I am like the ultimate fan for our school. I tell my kids I bleed Bulldog Blue.

Oh I almost forgot we made into the playoffs this year.

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2009

Did we go to the same school?!? I loved our Pep Rallies. I was in the sports & the band so they were loads of fun!!! I think it's the people that participate that make it more interesting for the people as well!!

We made big wagon floats as well for homecoming & pulled them on wagons (Radio flyer size) for Snowcoming. I'm so glad you can relate to snowcoming. So many people look at me like I'm crazy when I say snowcoming!!! LOL!!!

27. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2009

Our pep rallies were Friday afternoons, the last thing of the day. I must be the bad girl here, because I just liked them to get out of class!

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 29, 2009

Hey, Diznee-are you a Whitmore Lake alum????

29. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jan 29, 2009

Same here. I went to a larger school and this is how it was there. I did like it when it was Friday afternoon and I would skip out on it and go home early. :D

30. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 29, 2009

I liked the pep rallies in high school. Maybe because I was one of the "stars". :rolleyes:

My kids love going to pep rallies. They love the skits. So much so, that the ultimate punishment is not missing recess, but the pep rally on Friday. Thankfully, I have only had one kid miss any of them and it only took one. I'm not that fond of them now, but mainly because I am tired on Friday afternoon, it's really loud, and it is usually hotter than an oven in the gym. There are a few every year that I enjoy though.