We're all bored

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missalli, Sep 24, 2008.

1. missalli

missalli Companion

Sep 24, 2008

So, I'm a remediation teaching 25 4th graders who have tested super low in Language Arts. 5 are resource, 3/4 of the class are ELLs. And this program I'm using, Language!, is exceptionally dull. It's worksheet pages, filling in blanks and writing sentences as a class, or reading out of the textbook. On the advice of a fellow teacher who actually likes this program, I have been trying to spice things up, adding some art and social studies. But the problem is that they are then even more resistant when we eventually have to go back to the regular old workbook work again. It got the point today where I actually pointed out that it was not my job to entertain them.

Basically this is first grade work and I think several of them are embarassed/insulted that they're actually in this class, so they act up. I'm going to try giving a pre-test tomorrow to find out if this stuff actually IS too easy for some of them. But the ones who are acting up to avoid having to do the work... I don't know what to do about them, other than sending them off to the principal.