Went to my room and I want to scream!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs_Barrett, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

So I finally got into my new classroom. Boy do I want to run back to my old district and my old classroom. My mother in-law thinks it's just my pregnancy hormones, but I don't think so. My room is full of boxes, which I went through today. I have lots of other things that I don't know what to do with. I have no materials for art projects or classroom stuff. I'm going back tomorrow to move my desk around and other things that I can't on my own. :eek:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

I'm sorry I"m laughing. BUt I felt the same way when I walked into my room a couple weeks ago. Don't worry it will all work out. How long do you have until school starts with the kids?

4. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

Kids start on the 23rd, but I don't think I will even have time to get all of my supplies. I don't have enough tables for my kids and I think I will have to order them or deal with what I have.

I guess I was just pampered at my old school. Everything in my room was 5 years old at the oldest. I had whiteboards, tables, materials and etc. Now I have chalkboards....Old ass materials (which I threw away most of them)....

Here is another issue that I have, one of my aides (I have two, but only one of them has been in the previous room and program). Anyway, she has a desk. I don't have a lot of room, and before there was only 8 kids in there at a time. Now I'm going to have 17 at a time. I also don't think it is fair for one aide to have a desk and the other don't. She left stuff inside the desk. Do I just empty it out into a box and give it to her on the first day of school? I don't want to make her mad, but personally I would be mad if I was the other aide and didn't have a desk.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

OH that is a hard one. I would get rid of the desk. It's your classroom. Go talk to your principal about it. It doesn't sound like there is enough room for a desk in there. Do you have a desk? Maybe the aides share a desk?

6. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

The principal probably won't have anything to say about it, because she is new to the building and is only there halftime. She is in charge of 3 buildings all together. :) Yes, I have a desk. I was thinking of the aides sharing the desk, but from what I heard the old aide would take over the desk from the new aide. :p I think I'm just going to get rid of it. Do you think it is ok, to pack up the desk though?

7. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Hey....LISTEN TO ME ON THIS ONE......Aides have more "pull" than you would think. Do not go through the desk......have a "teacher" meeting before the kids come. I EXPERIENCED THIS.....BE CAREFUL.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

It is your classroom, so you can do whatever you think is best. If it were me, though, I'd definitely chat with both aides before deciding to remove their desk--even if it's just to let them know that I'm going to do it. I think that making the decision unilaterally and without giving them some fair warning, you're setting the tone that you're not a team player.

9. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

I was thinking about call the old aide, because there is a huge cabinet in the room that is locked. And nobody has a key for it. I checked my desk and there was nothing in it. :( I asked the office and they didn't have anything in there. Maybe when I call her, I'll tell her about the desk. I'll mention that if she wants to come out and get her things before school she can, or I can box it up for her.

I just know that this is going to be a HUGE change for her. The old program was 2 half day self contained sped rooms. Now it is a full day inclusion sped program. Plus there are more kids and another aide in the room. The biggest change is a different teacher. :)

10. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I can't figure out why an aide would need an entire desk. Heck, I know ALOT of preschool teachers who don't have desks. I have a smallish table myself.

I'm not sure about going through it yourself. But.. I would find out how to get her up there and get it out of there asap! I would gently explain that you need the room and space, plus it's not fair for the other aide.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

I like the idea of calling her and telling her that you are having the desk removed. And giving her the option of moving her stuff or letting you pack it up.

12. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

Thanks for all the replies...I'm feeling a little bit better about my room....I'm hoping that I can purchase some materials with some money from the district. If I can't then I will be a little more irritable about this switch....

13. sdj284

sdj284 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Good luck. I would talk first then pack up her desk. I teach Preschool and I don't have a desk in my room. I would love to if the room was bigger.:unsure:

14. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

I dont have a desk! LOL And to be honest, I wouldn't want one ~ it would take up much too room, let alone having an aide have a desk.

15. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

I went back to my room today after a High/Scope class that I'm taking. Which both of my aides are taking it too. I talked with the old one a little bit today. I didn't mention the desk yet, because I wanted to get to know her a little bit. I also wanted to go back to the room and see if I can justify saying that there can't be a desk.

My husband came out to my room too and helped move my big items around. We had a big talk last night, and he doesn't see why i'm so up in arms about my room. One thing I really want is a water table, and he doesn't know why I would NEED a water table. :) I'm not sure about all of you, but I'm assuming that you have a water table of some sort.

Anyway, I got the room somewhat in order. I asked him if the desk could go somewhere in my room. He suggested keeping it in the same spot. I explained to him that my block center is going to be in the same spot.

Tomorrow I'm going to bring up the desk issue. I'm assuming she will be ok with it. I talked with a fellow teacher at a different school and she said that the aides shouldn't have a desk. As long as they have something they can put some items in. I have a wooden closet that they can put their purses and coats.

16. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

We don't have water centers in our room.

17. forkids

forkids Cohort

Aug 9, 2007

Both myself and my aide have a desk and I don't know how we would do without them. We have tons of paperwork, assessment, student records, attendance paperwork, lesson planning, etc, etc to keep up with. We only use them at nap time and after school, but they are essential to get our work done and store things.

18. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I wouldn't move the desk withour talking to her about it first. I have been an aide and I had a desk and it was much appreciated. I have also been in a preschool classroom as a teacher with an aide. There was only one desk which we shared. Definately let her be part of this decision....please don't make it for her.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 9, 2007

I was an aide for four years. I never had a desk. If I needed to the teacher let me use her. Last year my aide had her own office lol.

20. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I would say it depends on her duties. Is there a time when she is expected to be at a desk, or is she supposed to be working with students all day? I have 6 assistants in my life skills, and if they all had a desk there would be no room for students! They all share 1 desk, but really don't even need it since they are scheduled to be in classrooms with students or running small groups all day. If it's just a matter of needing a secure place for their belongings, I would recommend a filing cabinet. Each assistant can have a drawer that way.

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2007

hi there,
    First and foremost; you're pregnant right? You mentioned prenancy hormones; PLEASE be VERY careful and take care of yourself when moving things; I'm sure you will; just being a mother hen here. :hugs:

I was at the school today and I spent 4 hours moving things from one classroom to another; spent another 5 hours there yesterday. At least EVERYTHING is in my classroom; now to do the tedious chore of putting things in their place. yuck.
    take care & be safe...it will all work out. We're all in the same boat one way or another; sometimes it helps to remember that. God bless.

Love this site,
    Sandra

22. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 9, 2007

Kiraj~In my old classroom, I had 2 aides and they didn't have a desk. One of the aides made her one-on-one students work table her little area in my room. She would put her bag there and leave other stuff in that area. The other aide just put her purse in my closet. There wasn't a reason for a desk at all.

I still feel that way. There isn't a reason for an aide to have a desk. I write all the lesson plans, I do all the official documentation, and I will be making the communication with the parents. I plan on having the aides working with the students at all times. I will have them make copies, color, cut and etc but I don't see a need for a desk to do any of that.

Sandra~My husband came out to the school last night and moved a lot with his younger brother. My husband is probably coming out tomorrow, because he is off.

I wanted to work in my room today, but I showed up too late. They school was closed. I'm hoping that I can get in there tomorrow, because I really want my room set by this week. Next week I want to work on bulletins and finalize plans. I want everything done, so in case I go into labor early I don't have to worry about anything. :)

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 9, 2007

I have a small table and a desk (aide) and I was thrilled to get the desk last year but found I never used it. I loved my small table (has a small drawer too). One thing I found that I needed was a little bookshelf area and cabinet space. You would be suprised how much stuff I bring into the classroom to "donate" or books to look through and gather ideas. I need plenty of space, but not necessarily desk space. I need a table though to pile up projects I'm working on. I also have a small table top filing area to hold templates and forms I frequently use.

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2007

25. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

My table is used for piling stuff on more than anything. My set of plastic drawers for every day of the week stuff sits on it. I sit there in the afternoon to work on paperwork and projects. To be honest though, I could just as easily work at the tables in the afternoon when the kids are gone. Sometimes I do anyway, to spread out. That's what I did when I didn't have a table. I have a file cabinet, metal closet and bookcase that hold most of "my stuff". My aide puts her purse and all in the drawer with mine in the file cabinet. She uses my table for working on projects. She has a little wire basket that I bought her somewhere with the projects she's working on and an expandable plastic file thingy that holds stuff she needs to work on for me and her other teacher.

26. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

I believe each room should have a water table--or sensory table. If you don't have one, try a kitty litter pan--a new one, of course. They are shallow and work very well. You can even have more than one.

27. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Go to Vanna's site. She has a GREAT build your own sensory table. Our hallway shares one, but I am going to do this! I have been known to put things into a large plastic tub and sit it on a plastic shower curtain in the floor if need be. Her idea of building one from PVC can't be beat though!

28. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 9, 2007

I've seen a lot of photos of classes using dishwashing tubs for sensory or water table activities. I have a table, but think those are great spacesaving ideas.

29. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

So I talked with my aide today about the desk. She was very taken back by it and started to get arguementive. I explained to her with 17-20 students in this room and with centers, there is no room for a desk. I also explained that with two aides, it just isn't fair. She asked about a spot for her things. I explained that there was a wooden closet that they can put their coat and purse in there. She then tried to explain to me that is where they put snacks. :)

I think I'm going to have a LONG, LONG year. I think she is going to have a rude awakening when she comes in next week to clean out her desk. The room is going to be completely different than the previous teacher.

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2007

Ouch!