Went from teaching kindergarten to teaching k-4

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Brittany Nelson, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Aug 16, 2016

Last year, I taught kindergarten-age students, so my curriculum matched perfectly. It was a lot easier to plan for them because they were at the right age.

This year, I have four-year olds, and the dynamic is completely different. I'm struggling, and it's only the second day of school. Any lessons that I prepare immediately go out the window. I have to drastically change my expectations, I know, but I guess because I've never taught four year olds, I'm worried. I have to take things a lot slower. I just need some advice and reassurance. : /

3. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Aug 16, 2016

I was a K-4 instructional aid and I totally feel your pain. We made plans and threw them out daily. You have to just go with the flow. If kids are engaged in something go with it. OVERPLAN! Have a ton of backup tricks ready to go in case things start going awry. Have a very consistent routine, especially with transitions. Even if you are throughing plans out and doing something different make sure the routine stays the same. I worked in a Catholic school so we were blessed to be able to go outside as much as we wanted. We routinely spent 2 hours outside in the nice weather. Get outside as much as possible. Let them move, give them choices. And breath! It gets so much better after the first few weeks. Enjoy this age. The kids are hilarious!

teacherL likes this.