Went from 0 to 2 offers...HELP!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by NewTeacher05, Jul 9, 2013.

1. NewTeacher05

NewTeacher05 Rookie

Jul 9, 2013

Hello!

Back in the beginning of June I interviewed for a 1st grade position for a school I have been a TA at for the past 2 years...I did not get it.

I accepted a position teaching Kindergarten at a brand new charter school, however its not contracted, I can resign at anytime.

Now my school has a K opening and left me a message today basically saying they wanted to offer me the job.

Which do I choose??

*The pay would be the exact same, the commute would be the exact same.
    *While I do have people I talk to at my TA school, I never had any close friends there that I hung out with outside of work.
    *I know everything at the school I TA at...expectations, what is taught and how its taught in K.
    *My TA school has a lot of behavior problems and parents who don't care
    *The charter school will have lots of involved parents
    *My worries with the charter school is that I just don't know what to expect and if I would like teaching there. I did enjoy the interview and I got along well with the principal she was very easy to talk to.
    *The company the charter school is run by is Charter Schools USA and if you google them there is not too much positive praise out there for them.

Any advice would be helpful : ) I know its my choice, but its a really hard one to make!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2013

It sounds like you're leaning towards the charter.

4. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 9, 2013

Is the second position semi-permanent or temp? If you're looking for a career move, you may want to go with the second school. Since charters are "at will," they can fire you just the same way you can choose to leave. Not as much stability there.

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 9, 2013

Is this a new or well-established charter? I think that the long-term stability of the position needs to play a role in your decision.

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 9, 2013

If you liked your old school, I'd go with them. Charters can be risky.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2013

Personally, I would not go with the Charter because there is no contract, no union and the school could close or fire you at will.

If you can get into a public school district as an elementary teacher, I highly recommend doing so. Get your tenure in the district and aim for job stability. You can always go back to a Charter school, but it could take years to find a job as an elementary school teacher at a public school if you pass this up.

Embrace the challenge of working with behavior problems and uninvolved parents - you will find this in charter schools too, by the way.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 9, 2013

The charter sounds risky.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

I loved being able to go back to the school where I student taught because I felt comfortable there. Are you comfortable at the school where you are a TA? A new charter would make me nervous for the reasons others have said.

10. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Jul 9, 2013

I would go to the school I know, but that is just me. I
    prefer the known over the unknown, and charter schools just sound so risky in many ways.

Good Luck.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2013

This.:2cents:

12. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Jul 9, 2013

I would got back to the school I know I'm comfortable it. Charter schools are really risky.

13. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

I agree with everyone else. Charters can be risky, and the fact that it's brand new will mean working out a lot of kinks. If you already know the expectations of the other school, that is a great help in starting out and settling in.