Well, we've finally done it...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by kcjo13, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

What offends me the most, and what I believe is irresponsible and disrespectful, is comparing our high school students to mentally unstable school shooters. Our kids can and do teach and preach responsible gun safety. To imply (and I'm not saying anyone here is doing that, but facebook and twitter are insane) that because members of our national champion shooting team are taking pictures of themselves with their equipment and medals and trophies, that is going to make them walk into school and shoot their classmates - ESPECIALLY in light of the day's events - is reprehensible.

2. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 25, 2014

I wish they wouldn't allow the dead animals in the pictures. Deer head are creepy.

3. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Oct 25, 2014

:yeahthat: There's plenty of kids in my area who have their senior pics taken with bows, rifles, etc. To each their own, IMO.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2014

The schools that I have taught in are very similar to the one in the story. It would not have been a big deal for this to make it into the yearbook. I grew up in a high school with similar demographics (including the big trucks with the gun racks) and for our senior pictures we had to dress the same. We could have outside portraits included in the back if our parents wanted to pay extra.

And the term 'redneck' is offensive. Just because a person shoots guns, hunts, etc does not make them a redneck.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

So a girl's clothing would bother you more than an item intended to kill things?

I have never understood why sex is more taboo than violence in American society. I mean... ten years ago, during the notorious "wardrobe malfunction" at the Super Bowl, it was a brief almost-bare-breast moment that got attention, and not the fact that the rest of the broadcast was dedicated to a game which is literally causing it's athletes permanent brain damage due to the violence.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

Because at our roots, we're a Puritanical society.

In England and other Commonwealth Nations, they're fine with sex & cursing, but violence is what they find off-putting.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 25, 2014

Considering the culture of the areas being discussed, the phrase "kill things" takes on an entirely different meaning. These students aren't killing random things for fun. They're hunting for dinner. When I lived in North Dakota my neighbors were all excited about hunting season because their grocery bills went down with a successful hunt. Many of my Native American friends used the entire animal. The hunters brought back what they were able to kill, and then the entire family, from the oldest grandmother to the newly walking toddlers would butcher the animals not just for meant, but for the hide and anything else that could be used. Many of the non-native hunting families would sell the hides and other remaining parts to those who had the skills to make use of them. This is not violence.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

By the very nature of the word, it's violence. It's justifiable violence, but it's still violence.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 26, 2014

If I'm flipping through a yearbook and I see an 18 year old girl in a top that looks like it belongs on a Hooters waitress and I see another 18 year old girl holding her hunting riffle, yes, the Hooters looking girl would give me more pause. (Regardless of the size of her breasts I'd give pause, I'm not saying only large busted girls would be offensive, I'm just using the Hooters top as an example of a skimpy top that I'm picturing myself seeing.)

I don't enjoy watching violence, I don't hunt, I don't want to hunt, I don't want my children to hunt, I don't know anyone who hunts around here, I think there are too many guns owned by non-hunters who use those guns to kill humans, I think both physical violence and gun violence are terrible things, but I get that in certain parts of the US hunting is a common sport and I'm okay with that. Yes, I differentiate between the violence of killing an animal during hunting season and killing a human in the street.

I live close to a park teeming with deer. There's not enough food for the deer in the park so they wander off into the local neighborhoods. Many of the deer are killed or injured by cars as they cross the roads, many of the deer die from starvation. I was glad two years ago when professional hunters were allowed into the park to reduce the size of the herd. I feel it is a less violent and tragic death for the deer to be killed that way rather than starve to death slowly during the winter. I almost hit a deer just this morning on my way to the grocery store, it was within a foot of my car running across the road. I'd rather have that deer killed by a shooter than have me hit and injure it, damage my car, possibly injure myself depending on the impact, and then have the deer slowly die from its injuries.

So, there you have my reasoning behind my opinion of why I find one scenario more offensive than the other.

10. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 26, 2014

Awesome post. I'll add that deer are also hunted for food. And a deer traipsing happily through the woods that dies never knowing what hit it had a much happier and humane life and death than a cow in a slaughterhouse.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2014

I think I recently saw this on Foxnews....I could be wrong but I know I saw it somewhere.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 26, 2014

We had the choice of doing the traditional pics (guys in tuxes and girls with velvety boa strapless thing) and informal. We all chose informal. Some had pets in the picture, some had their car/truck. A few had their horse, one had a bull, a few had rifles, one had a trophy bass , and one had a trophy buck. I live in a rural area where hunting is a way of life. No one would have batted an eye at these pictures. I wish they would take the time to talk to some of the kids to see that they are happy, well-adjusted kids.

13. teacherin2014

teacherin2014 Rookie

Oct 26, 2014

I personally find it disgusting that a school would allow this, especially since another school shooting just occurred on Friday. Guns and school do not and should not mix in any way, shape, or form. This would never be allowed in my town. I personally think that only the military and police officers should have guns, because there is no need for civilians to have guns in my opinion. I also find hunting to be repulsive and think that it should be illegal, as I am an animal lover and a vegetarian.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

Before this thread dies out (as the national coverage swiftly did over the weekend), I wanted to leave two last impressions, lest people get the wrong impression about Nebraska, our kids, and a particular town in general.

These two stories should have gotten the attention the school yearbook pictures did, but they are not as sensational. Well, not as sensational to anyone outside of the area. But, I think they demonstrate the true nature of our kids (and kids in general, despite what the media would have you believe).

Student stops to help fellow runner (picture only-this didn't even warrant a written story)

Football teams plan to let student manager score with 1 second remaining
    (I hope that link works-not many stories written about this either, and the ones that do exist were not very well written)

Cheers!

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 27, 2014

I am also an animal lover...and my family depends on our animals to survive. We hunt, fish, and raise lambs. In my house right now are six guns. Both of my children have a respect for guns and what they can do. Both have spent hours at the shooting range. Both own their own bow and arrows. My son was on a skeet shooting time. He has a pistol because he is going into law enforcement and he puts time in at the range to quailify. Saying that those that hunt don't love animals is ridiculous. We hunt coyotes because they kill innocent livestock that is penned and unable to protect itself. We hunt deer because they become over populated and cause deaths on highways, destroy crops, and become pests. And we have had to shoot wild dogs that have come onto our property and threatened the lives of my daughter and her pets. Until you live in the areas and understand our ways of life, don't judge.

16. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 27, 2014

Some people need to learn the lesson that tolerance cuts both ways. If you're one of ones who's offended by these pictures of kids with hunting rifles, then you need to learn to have more respect for other cultures than your own. Where I live, hunting and sport shooting run deep. Rifles are passed down from father to son/daughter. Our prom queen is a deer hunter.

That may be worlds away from what your own community is like, but don't ridicule a culture because on your own ignorance.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

Saying that something shouldn't be in a yearbook isn't ridiculing. Even vehemently saying that something shouldn't be in a yearbook isn't ridiculing. Yes, the idea of a gun being in a yearbook kind of offends me. I'm not ridiculing the people that live in that type of community, I'm not insulting anybody, I'm not demeaning anybody. I'm just saying that if I had my way, this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Though I'll say again... I really don't understand how, as a society, we view guns as being okay and a shirt with too low a cut as a huge issue. I think Europe has their priorities straighter on that particular issue.

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2014

This, this, and this!

Many hunters take this responsibility VERY seriously. My father is a true sportsman and conservationist. I actually had a conversation with him this weekend after they couldn't find a deer he had shot bow hunting. He was telling me how he could tell from the amount of fat on the arrow that he didn't hit him in the lungs, so the deer should be okay. Yes, my father was concerned about the animal he was hunting. It tears him apart if he knows an animal was injured and may be suffering. He only takes a shot that he is confident of making. If an animal that someone/something else has injured passes his stand, he will take that animal so that it doesn't suffer, even if it's not a "trophy".

Even my brother's girlfriend, who had very strong opinions on this, has changed her mind and will eat the meat that my father harvests. He is extremely responsible about everything involved in hunting, which is a lifestyle more than a hobby to MANY people.

Besides, many of the students in kcjo's town are on shooting TEAMS, and it's not even about hunting--it's about an OLYMPIC SPORT.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

And that's ok...it works for us. It wouldn't work everywhere, but it works here.

And scholarships too. :)

Again, the thing that bothers me is not that people do or don't like guns, but the fact that in this context, our students are being compared to mentally unstable mass murderers. They are not murderers. They are professional, responsible shooters.

And with that, I'm quoting myself!

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 27, 2014

I teach in a rural area. I have lots of students who hunt. Staff too. I would never hunt unless forced. I don't believe I could kill an animal. However, I don't mind that our kids do hunt. And I'm very pro-gun laws :) my kids are not crazed by any means.

21. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 28, 2014

I think the best solution of all is that both should be okay.

22. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Oct 28, 2014

There is nothing news-worthy about this, aside from how Americans mis-translate everything into a worst case scenario whenever possible. Everyone is way to sensitive about these things.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 28, 2014

I don't hunt and would NEVER hunt but there are people who depend on meat from hunting in my area also. Not everyone is a vegetarian and it really is no concern of ours if they hunt for meat (as long as they are doing it legally). I don't like fish. I think it's disgusting but I would never go up to someone fishing and tell them to knock it off because fishing and eating fish is despicable to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.