Well Thought Out Class Manual

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cutNglue, Aug 29, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2011

My child's 3rd grade teacher sent home a binded classroom manual. It has such a nice layout and so well thought out that I thought I would share.

It includes:
    * a clear table of contents
    * welcome letter
    * school supply list
    * daily schedule
    * how to contact her (and some tips on what contact method is best for different types of discussions)
    * mission statement
    * explanation about Star of the Week (M-F plan)
    * a page about the grade level curriculum
    * behavior policy and plan
    * classroom pledge
    * homework policy and explanations (a little different)
    * general grading rubric
    * Assessment and grading policy
    * Example of a weekly progress report
    * The ABC's of 3rd Grade (each letter has a short few sentences about another detail she wishes to share such as library schedule, snack policy, etc.

It's clean, clear, plenty of white space, large font, attractive, very easy to read and informative (20 pages). Her contact information is all throughout the manual just in case you miss it the first time. :D

When I say it is easy to read, it doesn't look like your typical school manual that most schools send home and parents never read. The graphics and layout are clearly designed for the younger ages and to make it attractive and easy to read.

Nice way to start the first day communication!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2011

Very neat! You didn't find this number of pages a little overwhelming?

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2011

Thanks for the idea! Maybe I should make one for my parents, lol. I already do something similar for parent night, however it might seem more official/cool to call it a manual and have a table of contents and put it in a folder, lol.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2011

Yeah, 20 pages was a lot. Some of it was just examples of things she does in class and I didn't read every word. I understood the smiley face system well enough without reading the fine print. I like how well put together it was though. I didnt read her mission statement either, for example. Most things though grabbed my attention sufficiently and she obviously took care not to be too wordy on each page.