Well, This Should Be Interesting....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 14, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

We are instituting yet another program for reading this year. Mandatory-they will be coming around to check and make sure we are doing it. The kicker---small group activities are only phonics/phonemic awareness related. We won't be able to do guided reading with leveled readers. We have a reading program which will still be used, however, is not aligned with this program at all. Guided reading to me, is the backbone of any reading instruction. I don't know how you can teach fluency and comprehension without it.

Apparently one of the powers-that-be read about this program and another district had great results. Our test scores were horrible this year (as a district, new test). Everyone was out of the classroom for 5 days last year training in it and this year will have another 5 days. It was soooo basic-there's absolutely no higher-level thinking in it at all. Our poor kids..... I just don't know how many programs one teacher can implement in their reading block every day. :|

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2012

Oh man...that's crazy!!!

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 14, 2012

LOL Texas.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 14, 2012

How is the program regimented? Is there any lee-way at all? Meaning, could phonemic awareness activities be built into a guided reading session and still be acceptable?

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

My understanding is that we are only to use these other activities-word cards, sound cards, etc. When they come in, we have to be using those materials in small group.

Our regular reading adoption that has tons of decodable books. Like literally 4 big boxes that I'm sure will be distributed anyway (because they don't want to store them). So I am going to use them, I just have to figure out a way to do sneakily. Maybe we'll be reading during math groups this year. Or quick kids hid the books in your lap and work with these cards. ;)

7. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Aug 14, 2012

I ache for you and your students. Someone is making a ton of money on this program.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

Oh, I'm sure. And I understand trying new things, but we literally just got the new reading adoption 2 years prior and believe me, that was really expensive too. Now that's being put aside.

When it comes up in pre-service, I may have to professionally voice an opinion. I might add that we (Kinder) takes our standardized testing right after Thanksgiving, and the kids are expected to be reading by then. That's just not going to work with the activities being described. I love when expectations just don't match.

9. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 14, 2012

We do something similar in my school in kindergarten. All students start out with DI Reading Mastery in small groups. This is a phonics based program. Students who do well with DI are put on an accelerated cycle and when they finish the kinder program they move onto traditional guided reading. This usually ends up being students who would be beginning to read level D. Perhaps your school could do something similar for kids who are ready to read and don't need heavy phonics instruction.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

:banghead:

How frustrating!!!

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 14, 2012

Can they use the books independently as "center" work away from your teacher table?

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

Yes, but it won't be the same. Most of my kids are just at that emergent stage when they start. That choral reading really helps them start making a connection with the print and start to recognize words. They do have time to read independently and I have a shoe tree where I keep books specifically on their level to read-I just would rather help them develop those good reading habits as well, you know.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 15, 2012

Oh, do I know....as a whole, my entire class is very low this year (although I did get a new student - she's actually sped inclusion (cerebral palsy), but she seems to be a great reader!). I'm not looking forward to my DIBELSnext results after my kiddos test on Aug. 28. On the bright side, though... at least in theory, they can only go up!