Well there is naff all on the TV

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by blazer, Jan 10, 2015.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2015

I don't know what it is like over there but over here on a Saturday night all you have is endless talent shows or 'reality' rubbish on TV.

So I am using the Christmas present Mrs Blazer bought me and have dusted off all the old Vinyl from the loft. So far we have given needle time to Buddy Holly, Glen Campbell and The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Lined up next we have some Sweet and Demis Roussos. If I keep on drinking enough wine I may even allow Mrs B to put some of her Donny Osmond on! There were records in the box I had forgotten and so it will be good to give them an airing as well. One or two have autographed sleeves!

3. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2015

Just found an original Little Richard at the bottom of the box. recorded in 1958 which makes it 1 year younger than me. That is now on the turntable. Best rock and roller ever in my opinion.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2015

Fun blazer.. AS a kid had Crayola record player & the photo vinyls!!! LOL!!!

My parents had a reel to reel we listened to... I think my dad got it when he was in the Army!!!

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2015

My mom had this Leonard Skynard vinyl and and Gordon Lightfoot....she would listen to them over and over, but they were both scratched so they would get stuck on the same phrases. Many of my childhood memories have those phrases repeating in the background...lol

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2015

naff?

7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2015

Many years ago when TV was far more censored than it is now there was a sitcom set in a prison called 'porridge'. To try and get the down to earth type of language that prisoners would use without actually swearing the scriptwriters created a set of made up swearwords. Naff was one of them and it caught on in general conversation. It is used as a substitute for the 'F' word so things can be Naff or naffing, a person could be described as a naffer or and being naffing stupid etc.:lol:

It also gets used as a sub word for something useless. So if something is described as 'naff' it means that it is of poor quality or low value.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 12, 2015

Haha I thought naff would be something like that! Naff on tv here too so I cancelled cable and just watch a handful of shows online. I can watch them whenever I want so on Saturday night I have lots to watch!