Well, that was sufficiently embarrassing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shanoo, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 26, 2009

My boyfriend and I bought a new flat-screen tv about a year ago. We already had an extra tube tv, so with the new one, that meant we had two usable televisions that we had no use for. Not wanting to throw them away, they sat - one in a corner of the living room and the other in the spare room - for a year.

A few weeks ago, a friend mentioned that her company was looking for a cheap tv for something or other. I mentioned that I had two that they could have. We set up a time for her to come and pick them up today.

She came and brought two men she worked with to help her carry them. She introduced us and one of the men looked strangely familiar. I brushed it off, had a quick chat, they grabbed the televisions and left.

As soon as they had pulled away, I knew where I recognized that man from. He sat across my desk from me not 5 months ago as we discussed his son during parent-teacher interviews. He was the father of one of my kids. I emailed my friend to confirm it had been, in fact, him. It was.

Small world, I thought. And then I looked down at myself. There I was, ushering into my home the parent of a student, wearing short shorts, a ratty t-shirt, hair a mess, no make-up, a sweltering apartment, cat hair on the furniture, a boyfriend who decided to throw on a baseball cap and brush his teeth instead of shower today....the list goes on.

Soooo embarrassing.

3. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

I ALWAYS run into students and families when I'm dressed liked a disreputable panhandler!

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

Gotta love those wonderful situations! If it makes you feel any better I did the same thing with the TV. We bought a flat screen and our older version has been sitting on the living room floor for a good two months now, with no plans on changing that situation any time soon.

5. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 26, 2009

ha! The only time I see my students and their parents out and about is when I've thrown on sweats, a previously worn t-shirt, shoes with no socks and a not-quite-right pony tail to go to the store and buy something like toilet tissue or shampoo or milk. You know, when you just ran out to get that one item and come straight back home...

6. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 27, 2009

Ran into a family having not showered and buying tampons. Ughh... I can only think of a few things that would have been worse to purchase at that moment. I'm sure I turned a shade of red as I tried to gracefully exit out of the conversation.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 27, 2009

If he thought anything, it was probably how kind and thoughtful you were to donate the tv's.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 27, 2009

You're human and its the summer. These months are the few that I spend in comfy jeans, tshirts, tank tops, and no make up. If parents don't like that, well tough. :D

9. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2009

An older teen boy from our church works at WM, and I'm always afraid I'm going to end up on his register when I'm in there for 'feminine supplies'!

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2009

LOL- Of course it would work that way, wouldn't it? I've only run into parents a few times because I go out of my way to not be near the town where I work when I go shopping or whatever... Don't be too embarrassed though, even though you are a teacher, you are a human being too!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

Ditto! Teachers have their 'relaxed' look too and I think most people understand that. ;)

12. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 27, 2009

Bras--ugh!!

Right before school started I ran into one of my students while I was bra shopping in JCPenneys! Of course he was standing outside the dressing room where I was going to go in! :lol:

13. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 27, 2009

That happened to me once at a grocery store. I was, of course, unshowered, and was buying tampons AND beer! The mom kind of looked at me funny and laughed (luckily I knew her sort of well) and I just shrugged and said, "I NEED them both." Oy.

14. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 27, 2009

This is why I love teaching 40 miles from home - the chance of actually seeing one of my kids when I'm not in professional mode is relatively slim.

15. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 27, 2009

I always run into people I know and students when I'm either in Walmart or Office Max.

When I taught Head Start the kids would get so excited to see me---even though we had usually just seen one another hours previous, hehe.