Well, that was embarrassingly stupid...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shanoo, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Apr 11, 2013

Today I was working with my Grade 7 students about finding the percent of a number. We started with changing the percent to a decimal number and then multiplying. Well, I wrote down 17% of 52 and asked the students what our first step was.

One of my students is quite negative about himself. If he gets a question wrong, he frequently calls himself stupid, says he's not smart, etc. Well, this particular student raised his hand and said that we needed to change the percent to a decimal. When I asked him what the decimal would be, he replied "1.7" When I told him to look at it again, he corrected himself to 0.17. As I turned around to write his answer on the board, I heard him say "I'm not smart". Well, I turned around and said "That's not true! You shouldn't say that about yourself!" and continued with the problem.

I started noticing the other kids snicker and giggle, but didn't think much of it. I tried to continue with the problem, but the laughing got louder. Then, the student who answered the questions said "Whomp, whomp". At that point I asked what was going on.

Sigh...apparently the student didn't say "I'm not smart". He said "I AM smart" and I told him that it wasn't true and that he shouldn't say that. :eek: Embarrassed doesn't even begin to describe how I felt. I apologized profusely and explained myself to him but good lord. Thankfully, even thought he can be hard on himself, he has a good sense of humor and we have enough of a rapport that I'm pretty sure he knows that I didn't mean it. I hope...

3. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Apr 11, 2013

At least he had a good sense of humor! I've misheard my students before as well. I've also had students mishear me. I was giving a spelling test once and one of the words was "muck". One of the girls darted her eyes at me and looked surprised, then flushed when I said the spelling word. I wasn't sure why...until I saw her test. What four letter swear word rhymes with muck? Yeah, that's what she wrote! No wonder she was surprised. HOWEVER, IF she'd studied her words then she would've known which one I meant! ;)
    I knew her mom and told her after school, and we both got a good laugh out of it.

4. frtrd

frtrd Rookie

Apr 11, 2013

Haha seriously don't worry about it. What you said was very, very obviously accidental. I'm sure he didn't take it to heart!!