"We'll let you know by..."

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bored of Ed, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

So I interviewed for a position that I really want and I don't think it went too well. For starters, I showed up late. Yeah, like that. What could I do, the only way to get there was subway, there's no way to contact the upper world from there, and the trains were fouled up all morning... BLEAH. But I digress.

Anyway, they left off saying that they would be getting back to all the applicants by the end of the week. OK, last week has officially ended and I haven't heard anything. Given how lousy the interview was, I assume that means I'm out. But being that I've heard nothing, would it be the appropriate thing to do to contact them and check in? If so, what would I say? After a floppy interview, is there anything I can say to try and pick things up again? It was a really good job offer and they were looking for a few people. I think that in fact I would be highly suitable for the position, I just didn't get a chance to show it in the interview because of the timing thing, which was nobody's fault but left us all very rushed. It's not like other interviews where I'd just assume that other people were a better fit than me, this is really in my niche. SIGH.

So... to email or not to email? To call or not to call? To say... what?:help:

3. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

You really never know what they're thinking or planning to do. Is this a city public school? Because I spent half the summer trying to find a transfer to another school. One Principal told me she would know by the following week, but I didn't hear anything. I followed up with her, and she told me she still had more to interview. About a month later I got an e-mail from her asking if I was still interested in the position; so it sounded like she was going to offer it to me. I told her I had already found a transfer.

Sometimes it takes a while. Just follow up with them.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2010

What do you have to lose?

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

It's a private company and they were in a hurry. They were interviewing like 10 people the same day, and scheduling training for next week. I am pretty sure they just don't want me, but not sure how to find out for certain. What do I write? I've never had to do any interview follow-up before because every other time we either left off with something a little more definite or they got back to me promptly. I know, I've been riding the easy life until now ;)

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

I would definitely follow up with them by sending an email with your resume and cover letter attached to refresh their memory. At this point, what you want is the job. Whether or not you felt you made a good impression is not what should keep you from doing a follow up. You want the job? You had an interview. Now, do what you need to get the job. Interviews are scarce these days. Best wishes.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 15, 2010

I would send in an email stating why you would be a good fit and tell them some things that were left out in the interview process.

8. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

I'd call them Monday morning and ask where they are in the process. I hate not knowing and they could be still deciding. Call them!

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

I would call them and ask where they are in the interview process. My school told me they would be making a decision in a few days but they didnt offer me a position until 3 weeks later. Its better to know then not to know and this way they will still know you are interested as well. Good luck!