Well, just got word that the long-awaited lawsuit is finally in

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gr3teacher, Mar 26, 2015.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

I have the parent from you know where this year. She has made everybody's life at four different schools miserable for 11 years now, and this year was my turn. To give you some idea of what exactly I'm up against, I have over 2000 total pages of emails exchanged between her and I, she has made over 500 demands on me and my classroom, each of which was deemed by her to be urgent and immediate. She has accused me of over 50 different acts of either discrimination, cheating, or intentionally working to hold her child back. I've spent a minimum of 5 hours, every single week of the school year, doing nothing but researching, compiling data and information, sitting in meetings regarding this woman, or corresponding with this woman. Saying that she has negatively impacted my health, my teaching ability, and the academic progress of all the students in my classroom (including her child) would be a gross understatement.

She has made complaints to both my principal and every administrator above my principal. She has also made two separate complaints to the US Dep.Ed. OCR. All of these complaints have required different documentations, meetings, headaches, etc., and all have been found to be completely groundless, not only against me, but against the teachers of her other children, also. My principal and labor organization have done what they can to protect me, but their hands are largely tied, other than insisting that communication filter through them first.

Well... today we finally got the lawsuit (which we had been expecting for awhile). It's groundless, and based on one of the OCR complaints which was found to be completely groundless, but it's still just such a nightmare. No matter how much evidence there is that she's wrong, there's still going to be a long and unpleasant process involved.

It's unfortunate, because this is a very sweet group overall, and I've enjoyed them, but I cannot WAIT until this group moves on. I'm just hoping I can make it to the end of the year. My doctor has advised me that he would recommend a medical leave of absence over this, but that it is my decision to make.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2015

Not much to say...but sorry that you're having to go through this, and may the next few months pass by quickly for you!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2015

Not only do I feel bad for you, I feel really bad for the children in that family.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

Me too. The child is sweet as can be, and is a perfectly fine student. Mom believes all the kids are absolutely brilliant though, and since they are only, at best, a little above average...

The one thing I hope more than anything else for this year is that I never in any way let the feelings I have towards the mother affect the student. The poor kid is already up against a lot, and there have already been a slew of requests by parents for their children to be separated from this child in next year's class placement.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 26, 2015

You are absolutely doing everything you can. You have documented to the point of insanity (hopefully you saved a tiny shred for yourself). Turning it over to the district attorney and letting it go as best you can should set you free. Hopefully, your district will back you and refuse to settle out of court.

7. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 26, 2015

I do hope that in the district's response to the lawsuit, they ask that the woman pay their attorney fees.

8. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Mar 26, 2015

Is she suing the district or you personally?

9. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 26, 2015

Most likely the district, with each teacher allegedly violating the rights of the student listed as a co-defendant (Although, they might just sue the school and ask the court to subpeona the staff as witnesses).

Most likely, all of the paperwork is from the OCR complaints.

One good thing: OCR tends to have a somewhat quick (for government, at least) turnaround on decisions.