Well, it happened to me... probably not for the last time

Discussion in 'General Education' started by McKennaL, Nov 2, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 2, 2009

As some might know...I am working as a LTS.

I am really starting to like my sister teacher (the one of the same grade next door). It was a slow go-but I like her. But today, I found out that she has passed off two of my really good ideas as hers. Both ideas got great accolades from the principal.

The first was for the logistics of a problem they were having with the upcoming (now past) Halloween celebration and "too many unwanted parents hanging around". She and I wrote back and forth over the weekend. I gave my answer...and hours later she writes..I was thinking the same thing and I told the principal and she loved the idea.

Yeah, she said it was hers....and how it was (with the twist in there...I KNOW it was mine). Today i find a note from the principal telling her how brilliant it was, and how beautifully it worked out. Hmmmm.

Next - today we were sitting down - the two of us - and having a grade level meeting where we were to write up proposals for grade level goals and professional development for the school that would help us reach them as well as be able to have other teachers utilize the same professional development to reach goals at THEIR grade levels.

She was totally blocked from getting ideas. I had the idea...helped her to see the vision, and then I worded the proposal as she wrote it down.

Later the principal comes into the room and praises her to the hilt about the fact that these were not only what she (the principal) was looking for-but how the DISTRICT office is going to be SOOOO impressed. And could SHE (the sister teacher) go along with the principal to present it to not only be a schoolwide, professional development, institute day event...but one for the entire (HUGE) district.

This teacher is up for tenure this year...and I KNOW she wants to boost herself up to a point that there is no doubt she would get it. And I? I'm a LTS just hoping for a reference nod.

But.....

I'm getting a bit irritated!

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 2, 2009

Stop helping her. Let her rise to her level of incompetence. Done.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 2, 2009

Oh McKennaL, you're twice as smart as this little snit.

I might be inclined to let the P know that I had input on the ideas that she presented. Let her get her tenure, but get your foot in the door too!

5. prek176

prek176 Companion

Nov 2, 2009

I would love to be a fly on the wall when she goes with the principal to try to promote an idea that isn't hers. Wow!

Maybe next time you can do the idea and the writing? Or maybe you can stop having ideas and see what she comes up with! The house of cards she is building is sure to fall.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 2, 2009

McKenna- The good news is that this teacher that is highly respected SHOULD put in a good word for you when the time comes around for a full time job. She should be more than willing to go to bat for you and let you use her as a reference on your abilities. I would also stop having these great ideas and sharing them with HER. I would have the idea and then, drop in on the principal and discuss what you were thinking... That might earn you some brownie points AND stop letting this little idea stealer get all your well deserved praise. Make yourself invaluable to the person that will help you get that full time position.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 3, 2009

This sort of thing happens to most teachers some time in their career. I am sorry. You have learned not to trust her. But, karma will get her.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 3, 2009

I had the same thought - let her go present this idea and talk about how SHE came up with it :rolleyes:. I guarantee you once your sub position is over and she's on her own again, they will be coming to her for these great ideas and she will again be blocked.

I don't know that I would say stop sharing your ideas, because in the long run it's helping the kids - but maybe next time you have a brilliant one, go to or e-mail the P yourself-then share it with her . If after that she e-mails the P and says she came up with this great plan-the admin will catch on. Sorry you're having to deal with this-it is very shady.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2009

Stop coming up with ideas when you're with her.

Then, after the fact, drop a note to the principal "wondering if this might be a solution?"

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 3, 2009

You know, the thing is... this having ideas and working on wording (or collaborative lesson planning) is one of the things that I found so fun about returning to college. Having been a music teacher for so long (an island of one in both the schools that i had worked at) there WAS no-one to kick things around with. i ENJOYED being top banana. If things soared- *I* was the reason...if things failed...well, I was also the reason (but THAT makes you a perfectionist. And things DON'T fail.) But it CAN be lonely!

I never used to collaborate-or believe/trust in others. College changed that. Only THERE - your name was on the final project as a member in the group. And your teacher - well, the teacher KNEW who I was and MY work so I wasn't worried about getting the credit for MY share.

So to once again have someone to sit down with and work out idea sessions with is fun. Not getting the credit-or the share of credit sucks. I think it also goes back to (a thread that is up in the substitute teacher's forum) substitutes not getting respect from teachers/staff. Who is to expect that substitute is going to have the ideas for big changes in a department or to even put in THAT type of effort.

I tell you, when this LTS ends. It's going to be like my life just hit a wall. Busy, busy, busy, BANG, silence.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2009

In your 1st post, you said you guys emailed each other back & forth over the weekend & you gave her your anwer & hrs later, she passed it to the P as HER idea...WELL, sounds to me that you have PROOF that you had the idea 1st if all this correspondence was via email.

I'd email the prinicpal a nice message forwarding her those emails & make sure to state: Notice the day/time showing that I had the idea FIRST.

This is not being an immature, tattletale in my book. But you shoud show the P who's the mastermind behind this. Not that you're looking for a big appalause or anything, but to show the P that you're capable if not moreseo than certain permanent teachers & deserve to maybe be put on as a permanent teacher. Let the P want to "stand up" & take notice of you more.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 3, 2009

No... Don't alienate this teacher. You may need her one day. My philosophy is to never burn bridges. Just know that you need to keep your amazing ideas to yourself or share them with the P only. You deserve the credit for the other two things... but you don't want to start a war with someone that could have a say in your being hired in this school. Bide your time. Your opportunity will come.:hugs:

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 3, 2009

I was just going to type the same thing about not saying anything to the principal. I would ask the teacher for a letter of recommendation instead. It seems she is well respected. You do not want to burn that bridge at all! I would also, keep collaborating with her. If there is a chance the teacher you are LTS for doesn't return you want the teacher to know you are a team player and that she enjoys working with you.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2009

I never said in my post to make it aware to the OTHER teacher. I said to let the P know, she's the one that matters. But, you bring up a point that I forgot. I'd also mention in the email NOT to mention it to this other teacher as I wouldn't want to casue any kind of hostile work environment OR say something like I wish this to remain between us (meaning the OP & the P).

Minutes later...

Actually, maybe you shouldn't go to the P because in the P & other teachers' eyes, you are just a sub, so they have no need to be loyal to you when everyone knows that subs come & go everyday.

Hey, don't worry. Anything good that's meant for you will happen. If not, it's not meant to be & you move on. That's how I always view things

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 3, 2009

No dont sayanything to principal. It will get out some how.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2009

I would most certainly NOT go to the principal. He or she is under no obligation to obey your request not to go to the classroom teacher. IT will seem petty and sophomoric and you'll alienate not only the classroom teacher but probably the principal as well.

Right now that principal is concerned about meeting standards, stretching every bit of value out of very limited resources, and the possiblity of a swine flu epidemic. He does NOT CARE who had the idea first and whose email can verify it.

17. Simba

Simba Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

I would stop sharing your ideas with her specifically. I would drop a note to the P if you have any ideas.

18. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Nov 4, 2009

If you are working towards a full-time job, I definitely would not go to the P or email the correspondence. That would pretty much leave you out of a job for sure.

This scenario happens at every school. I have been in your shoes myself when I was a teacher. It was extremely frustrating so I know your pain.

Remember the saying, however, "Whatever you do in the dark always shows up in the light."

You have wonderful ideas and the sister teacher is essentially stealing them. This won't go on for long before people catch on to that on their own. As time passes, people (other teachers, the P, parents) will get to know you and learn what a strong teacher you are. It is inevitable.

Anyone else who is taking your ideas will eventually have to stand on their own two feet and will struggle with that. Give it time. Continue to be a strong team player and your hard work will be obvious to all.

19. Simba

Simba Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

Just thought of this...Do you have a department head? Maybe you can pass your ideas through him/her instead of this teacher.

I'm in your shoes...I'm in a LTS and I WANT A JOB...I'm literally killing myself getting involved in after school activities and anything else I can think of. Because of this, I'm working very closely with many of my Principals. I'm doing everything I can to get noticed and prove myself...It's working. I'm lined up to work in this school for the rest of the year.

Any other ideas you have should go straight to the P or your department head. I love your posts McKenna and I share many of your thoughts and beliefs. You deserve a job. It's so scary knowing the LTS will eventually end. I know the feeling.

All I can say is put yourself out there...Share any future ideas with the Principal. Continue to work hand in hand with this teacher...I just wouldn't share anymore of your ideas with her.

I believe you already know all of this and will handle the situation differently in the future.

Please stay positive...Your job is out there!!!