well, i went in today and started to...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lcluigs03, Jul 17, 2006.

1. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

...set up! i didn't get much done because the "old" teacher still has her stuff in the room, but i did get some laminating done and my room the way i want it. i also organized the student's "office" (the area for the extra scissors, crayons, markers, colored pencils, glue, stapler, tape etc...thanks to whoever suggested that...great idea). i used the sink area for that...the sink doesn't work really well, so it won't be used. i have a board that i'm going to place over the sink well and i'll fix something on the faucet. anyway, i'm super excited!

OH i also found out they added another 3rd grade class. my number is going down from 27 students to about 23. not a HUGE jump, but it will make a difference i'm sure.

i'm so excited about the locker area the kids have too. it's really cool...gosh i'm a geek. lol. :p gotta laugh at yourself every now and then huh? anyways, just thought i'd update you and thanks to all that gave me advice on going in!

take care,
    LC

3. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 17, 2006

Only other teachers truly understand the things that excite other teachers. People outside the teaching world just don't understand the thrill of locker areas and writing centers.

4. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

I haven't been able to get into my room yet. I know how excited and anxious you are to start making it feel like your room. I enjoy hearing about your progress!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 17, 2006

Wow, if you got it set up you are ahead of the game! Yeah, we sure can get excited about the little things. LOL

6. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

That's great. :) It sounds like you had a productive day! It's nice to feel so organized.

27 to 23 is a good sized jump! Last year I had 23 3rd graders and that to me seems like a lot. :) There will be a lot more space to play with in your room as far as arranging desks and things with 4 fewer kids.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2006

I had an absolute BLAST today... and I have eighteen students as of right now (10 girls, 8 boys like my first year of teaching). I found a perfect way to set up my classroom. :) So, so, so, so, SO EXCITING! :)

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2006

Isn't it so awesome and liberating to be setting up? :)

9. Mrs. Schulte

Mrs. Schulte Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Hi, this is my first day on this site. Loving it by the way. This is also my first year teaching. I know how you it feels, today I also went in to do a little work in my new classroom. However, it is trashed from last year still. The custodians are still cleaning and my room won't be done until about the first of August. Can't wait to read through this site and get to know you all a little better.
    Signed,
    Eager New Teacher

10. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 18, 2006

I'm heading out to work in my classroom today. My kids left for camp and I thought I would get all week. Then yesterday the secretary informed me that they are doing the hall Wed. and Thurs. instead of in August. I feel cheated but glad for today.:rolleyes:

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2006

Welcome to AtoZ, Mrs. Schulte.

12. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Mrs. Schulte,
    What part of MI are you from. I'm here as well and am having a heck of a time finding a job! Ugh, so frustratign! Michigan is tough! Congrats to you :)

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2006

I feel like every time I go in I just make more of a mess!

14. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I am finding my room is a LOT smaller than what I thought!! And, I found out yesterday that my computers HAVE to be in a certain place, which is right next to my desk.... :(

Anyone else have smaller rooms than what they thought??

15. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

amen upsadaisy and mrsmoore! I feel like I don't have everything in my room that I want/need in there. Everytime I go in there I bring something else new that will help with all the 'stuff' that is in there. My room is smaller than my room where I student taught...
    Small rooms are sometimes good for first year teachers who don't have a lot of stuff yet, but I have accumulated things throughout college and ever since I knew teaching was my thing! So, a small room stinks for me! But, gotta make due with what I get. Also, my computer and desk can be moved, but I have to put in a work order to do so, and from what I hear, it can takes "years" haha to get it done! Sooo, needless to say, the desk is staying put!

16. Mrs. Schulte

Mrs. Schulte Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Thank you all for the nice welcome. I could stay up for days reading through old posts and conversing with all my fellow teachers, however, I may not get anything else done. Mrs. French, I'm in Lincoln Park. They hired a few teachers this year because of retirees. I was very fortunate to have student taught in a school that happened to be hiring the following year. I feel very grateful for this opportunity knowing how difficult it is to get a job in Michigan. If I could give any advice to those of you looking for jobs it would be to go above and beyond the expectations of any opportunity you get to work in a school. Offer free tutoring after or before school. Start free programs for the students to join, I did an after school program that work out wonderfully. Spend all of your "free time" helping struggling students. Eventually, and if your great at what you do, eventually should be sooner than later, you will be rewarded for all of your extra efforts.
    Now I just have to live up to the expectations that the district has put on me based on my past performances. Which is exactly why I can't wait to start the school year.

Kari

17. cmmottau

cmmottau Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I was so motivated by your posts that I went into my room today and surveyed the lay of the land. It all seems so over whelming, trying to fit everything. I am excited to get started though and I have already had parents donate things to my classroom. It will take me a while to get everything set up which is why I am glad we do not start until August 21. I have a month to get things done, but I'm sure it will go fast.

Thanks for the motivation and good ideas; you guys rock :)

Cathy