Well, I just made a parent uncomfortable

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 4, 2016

This is my first week back after maternity leave and I am pumping. I also have a kid who brought a note Monday saying she was sick and dying and afflicted and therefore needed to stay in from every recess for the rest of the week.

Well... I can't pump and watch her, so I ship her off to the office with a book or some paper and crayons.

Today at lunch her father, who had joined her for lunch, asked why his daughter wasn't having these enjoyable indoor recesses. He was pretty confrontational about it.

So I told him.

Never saw a man stutter so much.

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2016

:rofl:

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 4, 2016

He asked!!! Too bad LOL

PallasAthena likes this.
  5. Rox

Rox Cohort

Feb 4, 2016

LOL!!! I once had to use a break room in a new building for a training. The door was locked, a couple of people jiggled it and walked off. I later learned that an administrator (not mine) went to the secretary and demanded to know why the break room was locked. She explained that someone was pumping in there. He asked "pumping what??" in an angry tone. She finally was able to get him to understand, and he turned bright red and took off.

Backroads and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2016

I have always said honesty is the best policy. Had he been nicer, I am sure you would have said that for personal reasons that is not currently an option. Get in my face, and I would have responded just like you. Tone can be very influential, can't it? :toofunny:

Backroads likes this.
  7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 5, 2016

Honestly, I don't think parents get that those recess / lunch times double as the only prep / down times for the teachers. Your response was appropriate since he had to pry.

Backroads likes this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 5, 2016

I think my biggest irritation of the whole thing was that his daughter who apparently was too sick for recess all week (and frankly, unless you have a breathing issue aggravated by Utah winter inversion, is a lousy excuse) still needed the stxciting recess time. Sorry, the school isn't set up to have a bunch of indoor activity options. If you want her to have a more exciting recess, figure out if she should be staying home getting better or can actually go outside to play.