Well, I have one offer...waiting on tomorrow's interview, though

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2013

My old district called me today to offer me a LTS from Aug--Jan. The P. called to offer it and told me no interview needed as they know me. This job would be fun as it is to replace the reading teacher who is going out on maternity leave. One subject--I can't imagine what that is like after doing general Ed!

She is kindly giving me time to find out where tomorrow's interview goes. It would be fun to be back there with all my old friends, but obviously a contract would be nicer.

So...at least I have some kind of a job!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

Nice! Let us knw how tomorrow goes!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

Great news--and it's nice that the P is giving you the opportunity to pursue the possibility of a contract tomorrow.

5. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

Hip Hip Hooray! :)

6. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

Good luck with your interview tomorrow! Knowing that you have the LTS to fall back on might take so much pressure off you that you go in there tomorrow and just blow the competition out of the water.
    Sheilah

7. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

It does feel good to have a fall back, I bet, even if it is LTS.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2013

Yay for a guarantee!

9. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

You are on a roll :D

Awesome!

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2013

Thank you, everyone. The irony is that I would rather be at my old district (closer, familiar, have friends there) and I think if it were a one year LTS I'd take it over the other position, which is permanent. But they aren't likely to be having any openings next year..and they've been pinching pennies notoriously and hiring very young/new teachers when they do have an opening.

The idea of a contract is exciting but also scary. There is no escape route until June if I don't like it. It is a very nice district, though, and the pay is unbelievably high for my region.

So.....we'll see what happens!

11. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

I had a similar situation when I was a substitute..3 month assignment in my old school, which I LOVED or a permanent TA position at a different school in town. I had to take the TA position, it was in Kindergarten so that helped a lot.

It got my foot back in the door and now I will be full time w/benefits in the new school year---which is what I needed the most in the end! You never know though, in my district they move people around all the time, so I may still end up back at my old school AND I will be full time as well when/if that happens.

So, I do understand how you feel :)

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 14, 2013

Great news about the guaranteed LTS position! Is it for a long enough time that you'll get teacher salary or will it be sub salary? Hoping you'll get teacher pay! I always feel so bad for LTS teachers who aren't in the position long enough to get teacher salary but are doing the same work a teacher does in regards to plans, homework, the whole deal.

And good luck on your interview as well :).

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 14, 2013

Happy dance!

[​IMG]

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2013

It would be base pay-step one bachelor's after 40 days. So better than sub pay, but I have a master's and 8 years of experience. The other district pays a whopping 67k for my step and degree, which is super high for my region.

I guess if it wasn't a good fit I could always look around next year...it would be easier to get a different position if I were already under contract elsewhere, I imagine...but who knows, I may love it. IF I get it. :lol:

15. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2013

Love it!

16. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 14, 2013

Congrats on your LTS position.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

Congrats on the LTS and good luck at the interview!

18. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Aug 15, 2013

Congrats!

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2013

Congratulations and good luck!

20. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2013

So here's my update. Things are changing and it's :dizzy:.

I didn't go to the fifth grade interview that is 45 min. away. I called in advance to cancel and they were very nice. I also emailed p again to thank him and he emailed back saying good luck with everything. I felt relieved after backing out of that one, even though it was probably my best shot at a job so far...the p. seemed enamored of me on the phone. :lol:

So....yesterday morning I am basking in a feeling of relief over backing out (really had reservations over that drive esp. in winter) and my BFF from my subbing job last year emails to tell me that the district has a .4 reading job. Perfect! I think. So I called my old p. (we have a great relationship and she knew I was looking) but she told me that the current part time reading teacher is probably going to take it to become full time. BUT she said, "If you can sit tight for 24 hours, I am going to have some positions available. Things are changing as I speak. I can't tell you what they are yet, but if you can wait til tomorrow I can let you know (she knows about the offer from my former district to sub).

So...that seems pretty promising. I'm going to have to call the p. who made me the subbing offer and tell her what is going on. She may wait, she may not, but that's okay. I'm pretty sure something will pan out.

I am seeing so many positions advertised in the last min. hiring rush. Also, a friend who is teaching in an intervention program run by the local university has given me the contact info for her supervisor because they are hiring again. 40-60k depending on experience, no take home work, and she says great people to work with. So that's another possibility.

I realize it sounds crazy to have backed out of that fifth grade job, but I really didn't want the stress of a commute, a new grade that i wasnt sure i wanted, on top of what's going on with my dad. He's not doing well at all. :(

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 16, 2013

You're being pragmatic and it's paying off. Excellent!

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2013

Hugs! What's roller coaster you've been on! I can't wait to hear your good news when the time comes!

23. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 16, 2013

Well, we'll see. My old p. didn't call today like she said she would. I submitted an updated Applitrack file just in case something comes up.

I also applied for a position as an interventionist (I think I mentioned it in an earlier post). A local university hires teachers to deliver interventions to priority districts. Pay is 40-60k depending on experience and there is no take home work. They follow the school calendar and hours. My friend is doing it and she loves it. She actually said that it is the best gig she's ever had. Could be cool.

I called the p from my OTHER old district (where I was a regular classroom teacher) and told her I felt like something was going to happen with these other options and that I really couldn't give her an answer. I offered that I would understand if she had to move on. She thanked me profusely for not stringing her along and told me to call her if I change my mind or anytime in the future.

We actually paid off our mortgage today, so I guess that is part of the reason why I'm being so picky!

24. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 17, 2013

Congrats on paying off the mortgage - that is an amazing accomplishment!! You need to find the right position for you, one that you feel comfortable with, in a school that values what you have to offer. I hope that happens this coming week for you!

25. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 17, 2013

Thank you so much. I am remembering now that I told the p. from last year (the one who might have a job for me) that the other p. knew she might have to wait til Monday to hear from me, so maybe that's why I didn't hear from her. Or maybe she doesn't have info yet. Or maybe the whole thing is a bust!!!!

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2013

Have you heard anything?

27. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 20, 2013

My district from last year is holding off on interviewing until at least next week (when school starts!). The admins are all in professional development this week, so they have no time to interview. There is only one position now in the school I did NOT teach in, and they are planning to hire a sub until someone is hired.

My BFF from last year may be leaving; she should hear today or tomorrow if she got another job. That would open up a position on the very team I taught with last year.

However, I have an interview today for a reading intervention teacher position. It is a state initiative program run by my alma mater. Pay is great, my friend who is doing it says she loves it and they treat the interventionists very well. It has the strong backing of the governor and legislature. I would be assigned to a priority school to deliver reading intervention to small groups. I :love: small group work!!!! Employed by university, not school district--will get to work with some top-name professors in the field of literacy at the k-3 level. I'm pretty excited about this opportunity!

Aside from the fact that it seems like a cool job, I think it would be amazing on my résumé should I decide to look for a classroom job next year.

If my district calls me to interview next week, I will have to decide whether or not to go...there are some issues at my old school (which is why my friend is trying to leave). Do I even want to go back, is the question?

I am not sure if the interventionist job is under contract or not. Honestly it seems too good to pass up as a unique opportunity to learn and make a difference, as well. I'll report back later!

28. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2013

Good luck!

29. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 20, 2013

Good luck with today's interview!

30. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 20, 2013

Hoping for nothing but the best. Go get that job!

31. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 20, 2013

Thanks all. It went great. I was interviewed by two people, a professor and a teacher. Felt like a walk in the park compared to a panel interview. I would be on a one-year contract with the university, they have two years of grant money left and then will ask for more. Based on results and the support of the legislators and governor, they expect to be able to expand it and keep going.

Oh and they were sure to tell me that my time was protected. In other words, the school cannot pull me for additional duties like lunch, recess, bus, etc. Also only have to attend staff meetings that the university deems critical, but I may go to more of them just to show solidarity.

The job seems really great. I would be doing push-in in the morning and pull-out in the afternoon. Of course as it is part of a research program the materials are controlled somewhat, but I'm okay with that. I've had to use scripted programs before but at least this one is in the name of science. They said they don't expect us to be robots and we are allowed to use professional judgement within reason. For example, they are using Reading Street so I do have to follow that, but can modify as needed.

I should hear something in the next day or two. They are calling my references ASAP.

:)

32. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2013

That sounds like a great program! I hope you get it :)

33. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 20, 2013

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!
    Sheilah

34. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Aug 20, 2013

Best of luck, I'm sending positive vibes....

35. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2013

Fingers crossed!!!

36. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 21, 2013

Good luck! :)

37. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 22, 2013

Thanks again all. Still waiting to hear on the intervention job. I know that they are interviewing this a.m. because my friend got an interview, too. We are hoping that they have more than one position available!!!!!

My friend at my school from last year did get the job at another district so she is vacating her post on the team. Same team I taught with last year. We were all quite close and she says they all love and miss me so for sure I'd be given serious consideration. BUT the super is a stickler for protocol and has been going through lengthy hiring procedures, even if there is someone like me right under his nose. Previous long term subs have had to jump through all the hoops and do demos, etc.

So given that, I will defin. take the interventionist job if offered. If it doesn't come through, at least I have this opening at my old school to pursue.

I'll keep you posted!!! :dizzy: