Welcome to Teachersk's Room!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Aug 19, 2010.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

I worked hard at school today. Only some of you would appreciate this... but I got three matching tables for my U-Table!!!! Last year, I had three different colored/shaped/sized/height tables and it DROVE. ME. INSANE. I even put in a grant request for tables because I wanted them to all be the same. So, today, my coordinator told me that one of the classrooms was being turned into the OT room and I could have dibs on the furniture. You betcha I picked out three nice matching tables!!! One of them is SLIGHTLY lower, but she said the custodian could fix that for me.

I have a new student coming so I had to create another "1:1 teaching area" because that is where they spend most of their time during the day and they need space to do it. I wasn't sure how I was going to get it in the room, because we have limited wall space!!! The walls are covered with odd things (bulletin board, built in table, cupboards, lockers, smartboard, closets, etc.) There is nowhere to put things against the wall!!! So, with some creative thinking, I changed my double row of study carrels into an "L" shape - to create a little "space" for my new kid.

I was ultra productive today. The only thing I didn't get to was the bulletin board (I ended up deciding on a "New Jersey" theme, with the state flag, bird, insect, etc. Got a neat little set of bulletin board stuff from Lakeshore!!). Also, I didn't get our calendar or big daily schedule set up. But, those are just little things that I will be able to do on one of the teacher work days. OK - enjoy the pics - I worked hard for this!!!!!

Entry to classroom...
    [​IMG]

Ceiling view of room layout... (you can't see the "kitchen" area)
    [​IMG]

1:1 Teaching Area...Student 1
    [​IMG]

Group U-Table and smartboard... with work task bins/shelf in the background (left)....
    [​IMG]

View of the door from the group area...
    [​IMG]

View of 3 independent workstations behind the group area...
    [​IMG]

Our nice organized shelf that will look like this for about 3 seconds once school starts....
    [​IMG]

Two "higher" students' independent work stations....they get their work from the closet and bring it to the desk...
    [​IMG]

1:1 Teaching Area student 2....
    [​IMG]

1:1 Adaptive Seating... the chair fits so perfectly!! (That's supposed to be where a STOVE goes... lol)
    [​IMG]

Leisure Area....
    [​IMG]

Snack Prep area....a little view of the leisure area (left), sink, 1:1/stove area from behind... with the calm down corner......
    [​IMG]

And our color coded lockers, of course! (names are on the tags, but I blurred them). And of course our generic happy birthday poster that we use for everyone's birthday. Lol. We hang it up in their office on their birthday and then take it back for the next time. Haha!
    [​IMG]

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 19, 2010

Looks great!! I totally understand about the tables not matching. It drives me insane if they are not level, or same height,... ugh. People think I'm crazy but it's really annoying!

I'm going tomorrow to hopefully get the last things done for mine. I had my 3 kids today so I didn't get as much done. I'll post my pictures soon (once I learn how LOL)

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

Karebear--- Try putting them on MediaFire.com - that's what I do. It's really easy and you don't even need an account.

Then you can click the "Share direct link" button and insert it into the button the post that looks like a mountain (insert image) and they show up in your post! It's fun!

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH THOSE CRAZY CHAIRS!?? I've never seen those before! I know they're to prevent squirming but don't kids just bounce up and down on them constantly? I would!

I love your color coded "line up" lines at the door. And I can see all the little TEACCH stations you've got going on. Very nice. AND I'M VERY JEALOUS THAT YOU HAVE A KITCHEN AND A BATHROOM. *cries* Man.... you and m2m.... *sigh* Oh well. At least I don't have to share a room with the band teacher anymore. :)

Very nice, sk. Bet you're relieved to have everything done!

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

Haha, you can be jealous of my kitchen all you want but there is nothing in it!!! They built it just for my program, yet didn't have the funds to purchase the items to go in it!!!! It has space for a stove, but no stove. Space for a fridge, but no fridge. Space and hook ups for a washer dryer, but no washer dryer. Boooooo!

I wrote to Oprah though, lol we will see what happens.

Yes, all of the carrels are the TEACCH stations. There is nothing set up at each desk yet, but there will be when we get started.

I LOVE my color lines for the lining up. It ends the fighting about who is first, who is last, again (like the schedule match cards) lets me know who is missing, etc. They are so orderly when they line up. You should have seen us at the end of the year last year when I had to remove the tape for the janitors. It was mass chaos! Lol.

The bouncy chairs are so fun. The kids squirm and bounce but they know they're not allowed to be crazy when I am talking. That's the rule. When it's leisure time, work time, etc. and I'm not "teaching" (talking) - they are allowed to bounce up a storm, otherwise, only "wiggling" is allowed. They are pretty good. If we have issues, they lose the chair. Easy as that. We have enough normal chairs for every kid (at the work stations) so I can easily switch them out. My lower kids have learned by experimenting (i.e. bouncing until they get their ball taken away) and have since learned the rules. They are good about that.

The bathroom rocks. I don't know how we'd toilet train kids without a bathroom, especially in a middle school (going in the main one with a para??? not cool).

I am so relieved!!! And so is my husband, now that a quarter of our 500 sq ft apartment isn't taken up with school stuff. :)

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

EXACTLY! :mad: And I have an incoming 6th grade gal who is toilet training. It's horrible. And I don't really like sticking her 1:1 in the handicapped stall with her... Looks bad. Not to mention the liability of one adult in the bathroom stall with a student. Ugh.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

Is there a staff bathroom that could be designated as the handicapped bathroom???

Soooooo much liability with that stuff. Be very careful!!! (That's not the "on top of it" parent is it??)

I really think we'd have to send kids out of district if we didn't have a bathroom in the room, it's really just not possible. The bathrooms are locked in our school and only open at certain times, so in the "heat of the moment" we'd be unlocking a bathroom, etc. Not to mention, in there with other kids, etc???

What about the nurses office?

If it's far, that sucks. But if it's close, maybe that's a better/safer option?

Also - my kids are soooo gross in the bathroom. Boys don't always make it in the toilet, we have pull ups in the trash, etc. Don't know how you'll do that!!! Are there any rooms in the school with bathrooms? Perhaps you could use this year as an example to lobby for one??

Guess you're not complaining now that you're not in the band room (don't know how THAT worked!!!!!)

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 19, 2010

Your room looks GREAT! :) You've done a good job using every available space.

I don't need to color-code my kids (at least, didn't need to last year) for anything other than their data sheets (and that was to keep ME sane since I had several with similar goals) but I may end up needing to use tape on the floor for lining up. That was a MESS last year, mostly because it wasn't until about March that I had enough kids to actually make a line ;)

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

Yes, the color coding is great for all things organization.... and the kids do well with it. They know what their color is - it is great for grabbing binders, putting notes in take home folders, homework folders, etc.

Some call it obsessive, but I call it creative. :cool:

11. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Aug 19, 2010

Looks great! You would hate the tables I inherited this year. They are all different and all different heights. LOL! I got one of those ball chairs this year too, I have found it fun to sit on too!

I will miss the bathroom we had in our room last year. We are able to use the staff bathroom that is right outside of my room for the kids, but it will be so much more of a hassle.

12. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

8 autistic kids wow!! You will be a busy lady. I know I almost went into special education (too much paperwork) tho I love those kids. I sub in an atistic classroom a lot tho and it is one long day especially when I have to work my retail job after or do homework/study for my college classes. The chairs are neat although I would have to have only a few and use them as a reward. Oh, and about the bathroom deal...there is a middle school that I sub at that has to walk all the way down the hall to use the RR and some kids are not trained yet. They have to have one aide standing out in hall to tell regular ed students not to come in yet.

13. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2010

Yes, would you believe that the state cap for grades 6-12 is NINE kids with autism?! Not sure who came up with that number. Certainly not an autism teacher. ;)

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 20, 2010

wow!! The class I used to sub in lots had I think 6 kids...and that was a lot!!

15. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2010

Yes.. It's nuts!

16. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2010

If you can imagine... That's why everything is so structured and there is tape on the floor showing them where to stand...!

17. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 20, 2010

Nice room. I have never had carrels. Oh, wait, I did my first year. They were massively huge and completely not effective for any kind of group or 1:1 working. Someone told me that prison inmates built them.

18. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2010

They are perfect for my independent workstations, at which point each carrel holds 8 bins of work tasks.

They're also great for my easily distractible kids. Not sure how I would do independent work without them!

19. DMteach

DMteach New Member

Nov 10, 2014

Is there a chance you could repost the pictures or send them to me directly?