Welcome Postcards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by TeachGrd1, Jul 31, 2005.

1. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

This is my first year teaching and our orientation isn't until the second week of school. I talked to my mentor about sending out leters to the parents. She said that we have letters already made where we just input info about ourselves and we include that at the orientation night. She reccomended sending out postcards addressed to the individual student. I think this is a great idea, but it is such a small space to write. Does anyone do the postcards? If you do, what do you write? I have already addressed them, I just want some feedback on what to write.

I was thinking something like this: (The front says, "Let's Learn, Can't wait to see you at school!")

Dear Student,

Welcome to the first grade! I cain't wait to see you in room 1A on August 17th!

Should I add more? I was thinking about adding a cute little phrase about coming to school ready to learn with a smile.

Any advice would be great!

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 31, 2005

I do postcards, but I put them in the students welcome bags. We get our student lists 2 nights before school starts, so they wouldn't get to most homes on time.
    I think what you have is great! You might add another line, or you might add a cute sticker.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2005

I have postcards this year, and they will be included in the welcome packets like Miss W.'s. :) I may also include a letter besides that for the first day of school.

5. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 31, 2005

I'm the same way, I give post cards on the first day of school on thier desks, because we too, don't get our lists till just before school starts. But good luck!

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 31, 2005

In my welcome packet I put the postcard, 2 sharpened pencils (one with apples the other says "2nd graders are #1"), an eraser, 2 pieces of candy, and 2 stickers.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2005

I hope to get my list a week before the first day. I am going to send postcards this year because our Back to School Night is before school starts. I can say that I look forward to seeing them that night. TeachGrd1, yours sounds fine. You don't need to say much.

8. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 31, 2005

I did postcards before school started and what I did in order to fit everything is typing them. What I did was construct a textbox on Word format and typed my message. I then copied and pasted them on a regular size piece of paper. Then I printed them on a sticker sheet of paper- instead of address labels you can buy one whole sheet of sticker. Then I cut them apart and stuck them on the postcard. I think mine said something like-"Welcome to Ms. (insert name) class! I look forward to meeting each of you and learning together. Keep reading over the summer and I will see you on August 18th!"

9. 2ndGTeach

2ndGTeach Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

i was at a teacher store the other day and I saw postcards that had on the front "welcome to 2nd grade" or whatever grade you are going to be teaching. It had a generic little saying on the back that was welcoming each student..and then it had a place for you to sign your name. It was really cute. Just an idea to maybe look at a teacher store!

10. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 31, 2005

Yes, my team teachers send post cards to the students before school starts. A letter to parents also goes home prior to school, and we will all three use the same letter. But the post cards are a chance to get the kids excited about school--they get mail from their teacher and learn a little something about him/her. I plan to do a generic sentence or two, but also put in something about myself (I just haven't written them yet--waiting for my class list). I read that "knowing" something about the teacher personally is a great icebreaker for the first day and gives them something to recognize.

11. j9saylor

j9saylor Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

I always send postcards. I just think it is a personal way to introduce yourself before school starts. I ask the class to bring in a picture of themselves and we use it to create a bulletin board with the picture and different assorted sports balls titled "We are Good Sports". It helps the kids remember names.

12. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 31, 2005

Hey, guys, don't forget.....post card stamps are cheaper than first class!! It pays to buy the extra packet. Not sure what they cost right now, but for me, every penny counts!!!!

13. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 1, 2005

Yeah, postcards are a great way of building community before school starts. I did what teacherlissa did and sent them off. I also sent a letter to parents separately, on school letterhead, with info about me, supply list, info sheet for them to fill out about their child, and a business card. Sadly, we have to pay our own postage but it is well worth it!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2005

You can buy the prestamped postcards at the postoffice (I think they cost the same or only a penny or two more than the postage to mail a postcard) Then decorate with stickers/rubberstamps/etc. Note on back- pop in mail. Cheap! (who has ANY money in August???)

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2005

I did postcards for my 1st year as 1st grade teacher. I said something like hope you had a great summer and I'm looking for to seeing you in class for an exciting year of learning on the date school started!!! I also used a ps to tell them when the open house was because it was before school started!!!

I had a bag on open house nite with 2 pencils and a couple of other goodies as well!!!

Hope this helps!!!

16. FirstyearGr1

FirstyearGr1 Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

I was also thinking about sending out welcome postcards! This thread as been very helpful!

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2005

I sent them out last year (we were required to). The students really enjoyed them. I just wish I had written down what I said- Now I can't remember :)

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 3, 2005

You can print them off on the computer if you have a good laser printer. It's really not that hard to do. It saves you some writing time and you can save your message.

19. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 3, 2005

Last year when I sent out postcards I asked the children to bring a picture of themselves for the 1st day of school. When they brought them in I hung up the pictures and kept them all year long. They loved going over to look at everyon's pictures.

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 3, 2005

I'm going to use my digital camera for that. Since we don't know who are kids are until 2 nights before school, it's hard for us to do those types of things.

21. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2005

I am sending them out too. I just wrote. "hi! welcome to first grade. I am so excited to be your teacher. Can't wait to see you on the first day!"
    Short and sweet!!

22. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2005

Mine say,
    Dear ______, Welcome to RKE's Pre-K class! We can't wait to meet you. We're going to have so much fun together this year! Love, Mrs. D and Mrs. G.

Short, sweet. I time the mailings so that they get them the Friday before school starts on Monday. A postcard stamp is 23 cents right now.
    Kim

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2005

OK- I bought my postcards at the post office today- Postage is 23 cents for a postcard, but they'll sell you the prestamped postcard for 25 cents! Cool! I printed out my meesage on the computer, glued them on, addressed, decorated with stickers and put them in the mail! :)

24. cntrylndncr7

cntrylndncr7 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005

Could you send me a copy of your welcome letter and any other things you send or distribute on the first couple of days of school. I teach 7th grade, but I could adapt what you do to my classroom. I'm good when I have a model to reflect on.

25. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 26, 2005

I don't do postcards, but I call all of my students to welcome them to 2nd grade. They love it! I send good news cards during the year, so I try to do something different at the beginning.

26. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 26, 2005

This may be a little too young for you, but I just thought I'd show you "simple is good!" I printed them from the computer as others mentioned, so of course the format looked more "postcard-like" than this reflects...

August 12, 2005

Hello, Xxxxx!

My name is Ms. H, and I will be your Kindergarten teacher at Xxxxx School. We will have a great time together as we learn many new things and have fun with our friends at school.

See you soon! I can’t wait to meet you!

Ms. H