Welcome Postcard letter ...HELP!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by I want to TEACH, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I am sending postcards to my students to welcome them to 2nd grade. I am a first year teacher so I wanted hear some of the things you all write inside your postcards. Thank you so much for the help!:)

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2007

Well this year I found some AMAZING postcards that are prewritten! You just fill in the student's name, the date of the first day, your room number, signature, and address. So much easier! I almost didn't do it because I like to make it personal, but it cut the time so much, and my hand didn't feel like it was going to fall off!:up:

4. BarbB37

BarbB37 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I hope Miss Kirby writes back and tells us where she found those! I'd like to look at those and see if I like them, too!

Since postcards have a small space, I write something like this:

Welcome to Second Grade! This year you will love what we will be doing with science! I'll see you on Monday in Room 9!

We do an experiment on each Friday called "Science Friday". I've pulled together loads of activities based on our state standards. The student of the week is the "scientist" and helps pass out materials and runs the lesson with me. :)

Oh, and most of the students at my school that have passed through my room SAVED their postcards. It's one of the first pieces of mail they received!

5. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

This was my letter last year.
    Dear ___,
    I am so glad you will be in my class this year. First Grade is the best! Get ready for school by writing your name, saying your letters and sounds, and counting to 100. I can't wait to see your bright, smiling face next Thursday morning.
    Your new teacher,

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2007

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

I'm so jealous-I wish we could do that but at our school we literally don't get our class list until the day before school starts. I think it would be really exciting to get that card from your future teacher.

8. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

They do love the post cards. I have to make them and send them as soon as I get my list. It will be later this year. Some kids bring them to school with them the first day and some kids keep them all year.

9. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

On a website I saw that one teacher sends a blank sheet of paper and a self addressed, stamped envelope. Her letter says something like "Dear Student, please draw a picture of yourself and send it to me so i will know what you look like on the first day of school." The teacher then posts the pics on the wall of the class and the students are greeted with their own art work. She then takes pictures of the kids to display with their drawings.

I thought it was a really cute idea. If I get my class early enough I might give it a try. She ties it in with the gingerbread man and the school tour. I think. I may be confusing a few websites in my head. I have looked at SOOO many these last few weeks! :lol: