welcome letter

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 8, 2007

does anyone have a welcome letter that they would be willing to share?

I am trying to write one and I am just stumped!

3. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I was actually just coming on the board to post this!
    Since I've seen so many requests for welcome letters and whatnot, I'm posting what I'm using (well, the first version, anyway) for others to use. Suggest any changes or additions! Let's make a great letter to send home or for open house!

4. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

here's mine:

Dear Parent(s):

I welcome the opportunity of having your child in my class this year. This is a very important year in your child’s formal education. The foundations of numerous educational concepts are based largely on the curriculum Grade Six students are put through in the province of Alberta. This year is intensive and the workload heavy for both students and teacher alike.

I am writing to you to cover some of the things we talked about with the children today and to generally give you some idea of how our classroom will operate this year.

For those of you who have a child entering Grade Six for the first time, the curriculum for the students is very vigorous. There is a standardized testing in the form of Provincial Achievement Tests. These results will be carried forward on your child’s transcript for the balance of their formal education. That being said, we will gradually ease into a situation where students will be expected to do from 30 to 45 minutes of homework per night, and at least 15 minutes of nightly reading.

Weekly on the Monday of each week, I will provide each child with an agenda to bring home to you of what is happening that week. This will include homework, spelling lists, quizzes, events of interest, important dates, etc. I will ask your cooperation in returning the declaration at the bottom of the form in order to maintain a reasonable amount of home and school communication. The closer that you as their parents, and I as their teacher can work together, the more successful each child in our class will be.

To maintain a high level of student concentration during seatwork, and lesson presentation, I ask that you refrain from entering our classroom when class is in session, unless of course of an emergency. Please enter just prior to class beginning or just after class ending for the day. Thank you.

I have three expectations as to how your classroom will be managed. I went over these in some depth with the children today. I believe these positive expectations are reasonable and attainable for all:

1. Children will be expected to consistently attend school, be on time and prepared with the materials they need for a successful day at school.

2. The children will do what they are asked to do. They will never be asked to do anything that is unfair, unreasonable or unattainable.

3. I promise to listen to each child when they speak to me. Consequently, I expect them to listen to me when I speak with them. In managing an elementary school classroom, I attempt to treat each student as fairly and consistently as possible.

There are no special rules for individuals; it is to be understood that individually there could and will be special circumstances.

It is my intent as their teacher, that your child will have a most successful year in terms of their formal education. I trust that between all of us, we can make this happen. Please do not hesitate to call me at the school, if and when you feel it necessary.

Welcome to the Super Stars!

Sincerely,

Brian J. Skinner

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I, the parent/guardian of ________________________ have received the

parent information letter of September 5th. ________________________
    Parent/Guardian Signature

(Please detach and return the bottom portion,
    retain the top for your future reference)

5. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

Aug 9, 2007

6. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

This is the letter that I am sending:

Dear Parents,

I would like to welcome you to the start of the 2007-2008 school year. Hopefully you enjoyed a restful, fun-filled summer. This is going to be an exciting, action packed year for your child at Maddux Elementary. This year I have moved to fifth grade after teaching sixth grade for the past twelve years. I am looking forward to the opportunity to teach your child reading and writing this year.
    Your child has been assigned to my homeroom. My homeroom is still located in the sixth grade hall, Room #210. You should have received a fifth grade supply list with last June’s report card. If you need a new list they are available on the Maddux web site or in the office. Please try to have all of your items in by the first week of school.
    Expect your child to be reading a lot during fifth grade. Each student will need to have an independent novel with them at all times. Please stop by the library or have your child bring a book from home for the first day so we can get started right away.
    Open communication is extremely important for the success of your child. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if there is anything through out the year that I can do to help make your child be more successful. The quickest and easiest way is by email. My email address is (...). Of course, you can always call the school and I will return your call as quickly as possible. This year I will also have a web address where you can receive periodic updates and information on our class. The address is (www.schoolnotes.com/...). If possible, please have your child visit this page before school starts for I have a welcome note prepared for them to read.
    Enjoy the rest of your summer and I look forward to meeting and working with your child starting Wednesday, August 22nd.
    Sincerely,
    Mr. Bryan Devine

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2007

Here's mine:

August 6, 2007
    Dear Third Grade Students and Families:

Hello!! I hope you have had a wonderful summer and are getting ready for our 3rd grade school year. It is hard to believe that school starts in a few weeks! I hope you are excited like me.

Our bulletin board says “3G Is Out of This World!” because I know we are going to have a great year! We have many things to look forward to this year. You will learn about the Earth and solar system, the United States, multiplication, and much, much more! We will also have reading logs, classroom parties, and a class store.

For the first day of school, please bring the following:
    • one 2-pocket folder (any color or design)
    • one 1-subject notebook (any color or design)
    • pencils (yellow #2)
    • two glue sticks
    • a bottle of Clorox wipes
    • a box of tissues
    • 1 or 2 paper towel rolls (empty)
    • a pencil box or case to stay inside the desk
    • a package of AA batteries

On the first day of school, I will provide a box of crayons, other two pocket folders, other notebooks, erasers, scissors, and a small bottle of glue. If, for any reason, you cannot purchase these items, please contact me before school begins.

This year, we will be using community pencils. I ask that you please consider keeping fancy design pencils at home to use with homework.

Enjoy the rest of your summer, and I look forward to seeing you soon!!

Love,

Miss G

PS- Don’t forget to bring your summer math and reading packets with you on September 5th, our first day of school!

I also put my contact info at the bottom:)