Welcome letter

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by brandigilliard, Jul 6, 2006.

1. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

I have finished my Welcome letter that I was going to send out this year. I have gotten ideas from other letters that I have come across and combined them into one letter. Tell me what you think..... Suggestions/Corrections appreciated

Dear Kindergarten Families,

I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Mrs. Brandi Gilliard and I am honored to be your child’s Kindergarten teacher for the 2006-2007 school year at Pearl Lower Elementary.

This week your child will complete one of the most important milestones of his or her life – the first day of school! I am looking forward to working with you and your child in reaching their full potential. We will have many wonderful experiences & opportunities to learn & grow in the days ahead.

I believe that communication is the key to a great parent-teacher relationship. I encourage you to contact me if you have any questions or concerns at any time. You can send me a note, email me at (email address entered here), or call me at (telephone # entered here). I will also do my part by sending out a newsletter each week to update you on what we have been doing in class as well as things that are coming up. For individual concerns, I will contact you by phone, send a note home, or email you (if email is provided).

Please feel free to participate in your child’s Kindergarten year as much as you are able to. Helping hands are always needed. Whether it is reading a story to the class, helping with field trips or class parties, or any other participation your child will be greatly impacted.

I am looking forward to a wonderful & exciting year with you & your child!

Sincerely,

Mrs. Gilliard

3. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Nice letter!

4. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Thanks! I had no idea what to put in it and what not too. So, I borrowed ideas.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2006

Love the friendly, upbeat tone of your note. A few suggestions- take them or leave them!
    Dear Kindergarten Families,

I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Mrs. Brandi Gilliard and I am honored to be your child’s Kindergarten teacher for the 2006-2007 school year at Pearl Lower Elementary.

This week your child will complete one of the most important milestones of his or her life – the first day of school! I am looking forward to working with you and your child in reaching his or her (I know it's awkward but 'their' doesn't go with 'your child'- consider rewording)full potential. We will have many wonderful experiences & opportunities to learn & grow in the days ahead.Consider using the word 'and' instead of '&'

I believe that communication is the key to a great parent-teacher relationship. I encourage you to contact me if you have any questions or concerns at any time. You can send me a note, email me at (email address entered here), or call me at (telephone # entered here). I will also do my part by sending out a newsletter each week to update you on what we have been doing in class as well as things that are up coming (don't end a sentence with a preposition. For individual concerns, I will contact you by phone, send a note home, or email you (if email is provided).

Please feel free to participate in your child’s Kindergarten year as much as you are able get rid of 'to' here- it's the preposition thing again. Helping hands are always needed. Whether it is reading a story to the class, helping with field trips or class parties, or any other participation your child will be greatly impacted.word choice? impacted? Maybe "will greatly enrich our class experience" after the word participation

I am looking forward to a wonderful & exciting year with you & andyour child!

Sincerely,

Mrs. Gilliard

6. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Thanks for the tips! I will go back in and correct them. I'm glad I got another set of eyes do look over it :eek: .

7. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Brandi, how far in advance were you thinking of sending your letter?

8. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I was just going to send them home the first day of school. What do you think?

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

I give out my letters when parents come in to register their students. We have a meet and greet morning a couple of days before school starts -- parents with returning students come into our classroom to fill out student info. forms, sign up for the PTA, look around the classroom ....

10. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I think it would be a good idea to send them a couple of days in advance, just to give the parents time, I was also thinking of sending a short questionnaire that will help me know their child better that they can send in on the first day of school.

Giving it out at the registration day is a great idea too.

11. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I'm in the process of putting together my questionnaire. I saw a post on another forum that gave me some ideas. What kind of questions were you going to put on yours?

12. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

Great letter! I plan on sending my letter about a week or so before school starts. Do you also call your students? I did that last year, I called each student and told them my name and that I was looking forward to meeting them, etc. They got a big kick out of it.

Oh, I almost forgot, I'm going to send the kids a postcard when I send the note to the parents so that they get mail too. Just had a brain frog - I'll put a picture of something on the front that they should color and bring to school with them on the first day. I love coming to this board, I get ideas while I'm here LOL

13. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

Do you already have your roll for next year? This is my first year so I don't know when I will get mine. I wanted to send a postcard to my students but I don't know if I'll get my roll in time.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 8, 2006

I send out postcards a few days before school starts.I like the idea of calling them but a few don't speak English!

I don't get my list until August sometime and it is never final b/c kids move and kids move in. Some show up on the 1st day of school as well and some never show up.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 8, 2006

We still have movement in our classes before class registration. I think parents only find out 2-3 days before registration whose class their child will be in and we are not allowed to say anything until it is posted (it is posted outside of our school). They try to even out the boys and girls and students with known "issues".

16. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 8, 2006

I send my letter out as soon as I get my class list in the mail from school (usually beginning of August). I also try to include a fun activity such as a word search with all the names of the students.

17. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

We are a charter school and have a max of 16 students in each class. Our students usually sign up the school year before to make sure they get a spot. Some changes occur but most are pretty solid. We already have 30 students (so 15 for each class) and their names, etc. Since it's a small group and a relatively small town I know several of them and have already ensured that they will be in my class. I had a very blessed first year last year where many parents liked my teaching style and what their kids learned in my class so they recommended me to other parents. For you first year teachers - wait until this happens to you, it's a huge hug right from God that you'll never forget!

18. new1grade

new1grade Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

What do you generally put in your welcome post card? can someone post an example?
    K

19. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

I'll post the questionnaire that a K teacher gave me to follow. It was what I was thinking of sending...I just need to find it first... KImberlyBest that's awesome that parents think so highly of you, congratulations, I'm sure it's well deserved!

20. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 10, 2006

Great letter...my suggestion to take it or leave it...is to take out the promise for the weekly newsletter. It fits in well and all since you are talking about communication but I made the mistake of promising one my first year and wound up having an extremely challenging group of students and just couldn't live up to the promise. Of course, mine needed to be bilingual so it was a bigger time committment.

This year, I plan on a newsletter as long as my new school doesn't have major constraints of how many copies we can make. So I am still not going to promise one until I know for sure.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2006

One more thing:

Consider using the book "The Kissing Hand". (Sorry, I don't know the author!) My daughter's Kindy teacher asked us to place a kiss on our child's palm before sending him or her that first day. She read them the story-- about how when you feel homesick for mom or dad, you can place the kissed palm on your cheek, and receive the kiss that was placed there in the morning. I think it's such a wonderful idea! (do you think I could pull it off with my 6th and 7th graders??)

Also, my daughter's teacher called each parent the night before school started to be SURE she knew who was a "parent pickup" and who was a bus child-- she also wanted to know the bus number. I'm sure she had the info, but it was reassuring to know that she was going to be so meticulous! The welcome letters went home with 2 stickers: a sneaker and a school bus. We were asked to put the appropriate sticker on our child's shirt that first day. (and of course, I wrote "Bus # 10) on Julia's. As a result, she mailed the letter several days before school opened.

Good luck!