Welcome/Good Morning Activities

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Preschool0929, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jan 18, 2015

In my public preschool classroom I have 16 students. Currently, our morning routine is that we come in, do table activities for around 15 minutes, then transition to circle time. Since the beginning of the year, I've done the same "Good morning song". Basically, we clap or pat our legs and sing together "Good morning johnny, how are you? Good morning suzy, how are you? How are you this special day, we are glad you came to play, good morning jimmy, how are you?" Last year, my kids loved this song and every always sang along. I've noticed this year that it's like pulling teeth to get my kids to sing with me. I'd like to do a new good morning/welcome activity that gets the kids participating. Something where they would have to say/do something. Any ideas? Since my class is also a special ed. class, I have lots of students with social goals that include being able to initiate greetings, so I'd love to work on these goals at the same time :)

3. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Jan 18, 2015

I've been in two ECSE classrooms through internships and student teaching. They both had different circle openers. The first ECSE classroom played the "Hello Neighbor" song by Dr. Jean. The kiddos danced together and waved hi. All of the kiddos loved the song and dance. I was able to find the song on TPT for free.

The second ECSE classroom was very technology driven, and my CT piloted the technology program for the district's EC department. Using an interactive whiteboard (Mimio), she had a slide with all of the student names that matched her weekly theme. She gave one kiddo the pen to find their name and drag it up (ie: an apple theme had student names on green, red, and yellow apples that required them "putting" their apple in a barrel). After the kiddo found their name, she would ask a question such as "What did you eat for breakfast this morning?" The student had to answer the question and then choose a friend to be next. I loved this circle opener and plan on using it in my future ECSE classroom.

4. teacherslikeme

teacherslikeme New Member

Jan 21, 2015

Last semester my children were really into Who Came to School Today but this semester they seem to be enjoying Hicketypicket Pickety Bumble Bee...

I have a small stuffed bee (beanie baby maybe?) that gets passed to the child next to me and we say, "Hickety Pickety Bumble Bee, Can you say your name for me?" After they say their name or I say it if they choose not to, I will say, "Can we say (child's name)?, Let's clap it (say it while clapping the syllables), let's whisper it (whisper child's name)
    Then the bee gets passed to the next child until all the children have been introduced.

Hope that helps!

5. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Jan 21, 2015

There is a song that you look up on YouTube to hear the melody. Words: everyone says good morning, good morning, good morning, everyone says good morning and how are you today!!! Than you can have children say how they are. Also Quaker, Quaker how art thee, very well, I thank thee. How's thy neighbor next to thee? I don't know I'll go and see. Then students rotate in the circle, shake hands and discuss how they are.

6. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jan 25, 2015

We sing "who came to school today" and a mystery question. We hold up names on a card to help students recognize the names of everyone in class.