Welcome Bag

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by thomps6, Jul 16, 2008.

1. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Jul 16, 2008

Does anyone do a welcome bag for the students? I have done some in the past with the eraser, sticker, chocolate, etc. I have put them in paper sacks, ziploc baggies, pencil boxes, etc. Has anyone used something different? I am trying to gain new ideas for this! Thanks! Enjoy the summer!

3. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I'm doing them this year. I'll have a pencil, an eraser, some little candies, purell, etc. in the bags with my awesome postcard that I made from VP attached. I got some goodie bags from Walmart that I'm going to use.

4. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 16, 2008

i like the crayon box idea

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2008

I have a welcome packet and on the front is a picture of an elephant head and rolled in his trunk is a pencil.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 16, 2008

I have put together little welcome bags these past few years, and the kids really seem to respond to them. It seems to get everything off on the right foot. I usually include a Fifth Graders Rock type pencil, a pencil top eraser (found cute ones at a party goods store that had cute little faces on the side), a book mark, and Smarty candies for when they feel the need a little extra memory boost. Some years I also put great job stickers (so they can reward themselves) or other things. I'm always looking for new ideas. I try to stay away from chocolate and nut products because of allergies.

7. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

I put together welcome bags for my students. I put a bookmark, pencil, eraser, coupon booklet (no homework, first in line, free pencil, 10 minutes of freetime, etc.), and mini chocolate bar inside.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 18, 2008

I like the coupon booklet idea. Thanks. I may end up borrowing it.

9. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 18, 2008

10. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 18, 2008

I do a "Back to School" Kit for my 6th graders. It has symbolic things in it like an eraser to mean that its ok to make mistakes. I don't remember the meanings right now but I know that it includes: an eraser, a hershey kiss, a lifesaver candy, a button, a piece of gold thread, a tissue, a toothpick, a bandaid. I put them all in a paper bag and staple it shut with a label attached. They guess what could be in the bag, then they try to figure out what each item means. Then I give them the key for all the items. wish i could find it for you...

11. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

I'm going to do a fourth grade "survival" kit and will attach a small sheet of paper with the following typed on it...

Starburst...to give you a burst of energy on days you are tired.
    Stick of gum...to remind you to stick with it.
    A Hug and a Kiss...to remind you that someone loves you.
    Fire Jolly Rancher...to remind you to spice up your effort.
    Smarties...to help you on the days you don't feel smart.
    Snickers...to remind you to take time to laugh. :)

12. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Jul 19, 2008

Thank you to everyone who has responded! I have gotten some new ideas that I will use this year. Have a great beginning of the year everyone!

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 19, 2008

I have always given a pencil, pen, and pencil sharpener, but I believe I am going for just the first two this year. Year in and year out, kids have always lost the pencil sharpeners. I will shapen the pencils before they are given to them, though.