Welcome Back Information

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Aug 3, 2009.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I am interested in seeing what others include in their packets for students to take home during the first week. I am planning to include the following: Welcome letter, Supply List, Wish List, Overview of Curriculum for 4th Grade (very simple overview), Homework / Grading Policy, school system calendar of important dates, and various forms that need to be signed (permission to photograph, video, post work, post pictures, use of computer / internet, etc. - All school-wide permission slips and forms go home another day in their own folder.), and a "Help me get to know your child" type form for parents to fill out. Is there anything I am leaving out that I should probably think of adding? What would you include?

3. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I would suggest keeping it short. My parents get a ton of forms from the school so I try to limit what I send home that first week. For example, we don't do homework the first week of school so I would send out the homework policy page attached to the first weekly packet.

I'm doing everything online this year but in the past, I would send out:

- welcome letter
    - discipline plan
    - procedures (only the ones affecting the parents)
    - my child sheet

Parents get their supply lists at the end of the previous school year and in their bulk mail.

And I go over curriculum stuff at our orientation night.

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

I always include my business card with email address and school website. I also include a magnet with my name the school name and phone numbers.

We aren't allowed to send supply lists...the school is to provide all supplies...part of the FREE education! Isn't that crazy?! Anyways, I do Kinder ABC's which is just an overview of how my classroom operates and school policies. The magnet, card, a handwriting guide, alphabet strip, and a getting to know your child form...it also addresses what expectations the parents have for the year.

The school sends a ton of other things. I save my packet of info. for open house night instead of the first day of school.

5. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

The reason I send it all at one time is because most of the papers sent home from the school are sent at different times. Parents have asked in the past to have it all at once, so I do that to help them keep it all organized.
    I also only send a copy of the supply list that was set for our grade level. Never fails, if I don't send it they ask for it....even though it's posted and available in the office.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

I send it all home too. I pass everything out in order before school starts, and put it in a 2 gallon ziplock. On top is a page to parents explaining what can stay and home and what needs to be signed and returned. Then on the first half day, we go over the papers and the kids take them all home still in the ziplock.

I send home just about the same things. I also have a parent volunteer sheet I made.

7. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 3, 2009

8. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

4th Grade Parent Handbook

I include:
    Welcome letter
    supply list
    Overview of rules, consequences, rewards
    Dress code
    How to help at home
    Book order info.
    Calendar
    State test dates
    Info. sheet (torn off back and returned)