"Welcome back! Hey can you help me with my bulletin board?"

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by heythereartists, Aug 14, 2012.

1. heythereartists

heythereartists New Member

Aug 14, 2012

Ok here's the deal:
    I've been working in my school for five years now. I'm going back to school next week for preservice days. I just got an email from a 2nd grade teacher asking if I would help her with her bulletin board. Now, I really never help with this and I really feel like she's capable of doing it.
    BUT I'm moving rooms and need help moving all my art supplies when we get back. Is it rude of me to say "Sure I'll help you with your bulletin board, if you help me move some boxes?" Quite frankly I think it was rude for her to ask me to do this for her even before we got back, but I kinda want another perspective.
    Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

My school art teacher will help teachers out...not with entire BBs, but a basic outline/blackline design she can do pretty quickly...why not find out exactly what she needs..it might be something you can do quickly or show her how to do...I often use an overhead projector to blow up and trace graphics for my BBs...what she needs might just be a simple tip like this...and yes, ask for help if you need it. Our custodians are awesome when teachers move rooms.:thumb:

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2012

Is she someone you have a mutually beneficial relationship with?

I would probably tell her that I'm too busy moving supplies and getting myself set up. If she offers to help in exchange, it seems a fair deal, if you are so inclined.

I like helping colleagues; I dislike being used.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2012

I would rather do the moving myself and not get this whole bulletin board thing started...I think it could spread.

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 14, 2012

It's a trade of services within a workspace. It's certainly acceptable to ask for help in return for services rendered. A favor for a favor. I operate on that principle and I let those asking me for help know that it's expected. 1)This cuts down on those asking to have things done for them with no regard for your time and effort. 2) It establishes camaraderie when sharing an equal load.

It's always worked for me.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 16, 2012

I would let her know that I plan on being busy for the majority of the day moving supplies and setting up my classroom, but if I get finished early then I will try to stop by.

And I honestly do try to help other teachers out if I have some free time- our art teacher is getting older, so I'll help her clean up or get supplies from cabinets (I'm taller than she is). I think it's good karma to help out, but not if its going to take time away from you getting your work done.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I think you could go either way: either tell her you're sorry, but too swamped to help, or admit you're swamped and offer to help her if she helps you.

9. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Aug 16, 2012

I don't think I would put it quite that way. I might say something such as "Sure. Oh, by the way, since we're on the subject, I could use a hand or two moving my art supplies; if you could help out that would be great."