Welcome Back Bulletin Boards - Idea Share!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BreezyGirl, Jul 29, 2015.

1. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jul 29, 2015

Hello Teachers!

I am in Grade 5/6 this year and while I love bulletin boards, I am having a difficult time thinking of ideas. I believe partially because I want it to be perfect!:lol: We are required to have one in the hallway for the first day of school as well as in the classrooms. In the classroom, I am going to put the background and border up along with a sign on what it is. That is not a problem. It is the welcome back one!

In the first or second week of school, we are going to do a Picasso style self portrait with oil pastels. Those will end up in the hallway. I would like something happy, warm, welcoming. Perhaps even a fun welcome message. I saw a cute idea with puzzle pieces... it was something like: Welcome to Grade 5. You fit in perfectly. The pieces had their names on them and they were pieced together. :)

Ideas? What is everyone doing with their back to school boards?

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 30, 2015

I'm doing that same one!! (with the puzzles)
    "Welcome to Preschool, you rit right in!"
    and each child would decorate a puzzle piece & they'd all fit together.
    I did it last year with my Pre-K class & everyone really liked it

So I have the bulletin board all ready to go with the words on it and just leave a big space in the middle for the puzzle.
    They'd decorate on the first day

4. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jul 30, 2015

I teach middle school. I'm planning on doing a bright background with the word "Be" in the middle, then a lot of positive attributes in different fonts and directions throughout the board. Much like this one.

5. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 30, 2015

Fun ideas!

I'm going with traditional this year with our school mascot and school colors--paw prints and something along the lines of We are Grizzlies, because I've been non-traditional for the past 6 years with themes from everything from Dancing Frogs to Treasure Pirate, Let's Go to the Beach, Moose and Friends (2 years in a row), and Hollywood Stars. I'll be the ONLY teacher in our school with the traditional school theme bulletin board.

I figured my 7th year will be a good year---7 being a good number, right?

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 30, 2015

My favourite back to school bulletin board is probably also the most tedious to do. First I cover a board with black construction paper. Then I type each student's name in Microsoft Word, using a different font for each name. I copy that onto an overhead transparency and project it onto the bulletin board. Then I trace over every name with neon fabric paint (just the outline of the letters, I don't fill them in). The result is always a show stopper. Since this is a generic bulletin board, it usually ends up staying up all year. It's a lot of work but the kids love it!

7. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jul 30, 2015

Wow!!! These are all excellent! I'm still not sure what to do!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2015

Oh, I love that, MissScrimmage!

My boards and door are empty at the start of the first day, but the kids work to decorate them. We do a "Numbers About Me" activity that goes up on one board, and the door is decorated with cards on which the students introduce themselves.

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 31, 2015

I just saw an awesome one (more for the younger grades unless this is your mascot..) from an old coworker

"Mooove over, there's a new herd in town!"
    with a bunch of cows on a farm!! (Each cow was made by a child)

10. ludoak

ludoak Rookie

Jul 31, 2015

I always do a "Welcome Class of 20_ _" and decorate it with pendants with their names on them, graduation caps, etc. Kids and parents always think it is fun. This year I am welcoming the class of 2028...yikes!

11. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 31, 2015

I have been looking a lot online for this year, and I'm leaning towards something along the lines of "We'll have a ball this year!" with a picture of bubble gum machine and each student's name on a bubble gum ball.

12. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jul 31, 2015

Wow! These are all so wonderful! I am thinking I will be using these ideas throughout the year!!!

I was at our teacher store today to see if something would spark my creativity. My classroom is about respect and being who you are. So, I found the perfect small poster and it hit me. The puzzle piece board "fits" right in with this theme. I just need a saying that has fit or piece in it. Ideas? I like the "you'll fit right in" but they all know one another. It's a lovely small Christian school... I could even include a scripture verse.

Here is the poster. :)

[​IMG]

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 31, 2015

When I do a puzzle bulletin board for the beginning of the year I use the slogan:

"All the Pieces are in Place for a Great Year!"

14. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jul 31, 2015

Ooooh... I like this one!

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2015

I like to put neutral paper and border up I can use all year, and just change the contents, as appropriate.

One has the title, Ïntroducing" so I can use it for just about anything. One says Ëvery child is an artist" so I can add whatever art we do.

16. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 11, 2015

I've done the puzzle board activity for several years. I buy the puzzle photo kit from Really Good Stuff such as this: http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/puzzle-photo-kit/p/701332/
    I take pics the first few days, give them the blank puzzle piece for them to color, paste their face pic to the puzzle piece and then place it on the BB. The title " Individually Unique, Together Complete "

17. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 11, 2015

love this idea! I have the pendants but need to figure out where to get the graduation caps. My district is heavy into promoting college awareness at all levels so this falls in line. I think I'm going to borrow your idea!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2015

Pendants? Or pennants?
    I ask because you both said pendants. My niece is headed off to college and we are making her a school spirit basket....Wondering if this is something we should include.

I'm just putting up a store bought welcome sign. My first bb with kid work will be up the first week so I don't put too much time into a first day of school bb.

19. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 15, 2015

:lol::dizzy: should probably be pennants.