Welcome Back Bulletin Board

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

What is yours going to be? Here's mine-

Welcome to the jPod- with student names on iPod and headphone cutouts. :) Inspired by walking through the music and entertainment sections of stores today.

3. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Cute idea! :)

4. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

I was going to do something along those lines. I am going to have ipod "skins" for the students to decorate, thier names will be on the screen of the ipod, then for the saying " iWork, iLearn"

WHat do you think?

dbelmo

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2008

I am not going a BB this year (new room and only 3 BBs- I need them!!)
    I am going to do a hall display. Our school wide theme is "Clued into reading". So, I found a detective Snoopy!!! (I LOVE Peanuts)
    [​IMG]
    I am going to make a big Snoopy and tape him up in the hall. I am then going to make clues with the kids names on them on the door. (I am thinking footprints may look better but fit the theme less-still undecided). I am still running through a title. I have "clued into 5th grade" but I am not in love with it.

All of the teachers were upset about this whole clue/detective theme. I think I was the only one who was excited! It is much better than last year- circus. VERY hard to do, IMO!

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2008

Hm I've never had a bulletin board until this coming year. It was just put in the hall and I am going to share it with the first grade teacher next door to me. Last year I did a door display with a beehive "buzzing into ... grade" and bees with each student's name. I'll do that again this year but now you got me thinking, maybe I should put this on the bulletin board instead! The teachers at my school don't really do fancy bulletin boards. My first year I made a gorgeous bulletin board and everyone was probably rolling their eyes, "ha, new teacher". LOL

7. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I did this one year for Read Across America. I had a mouse detective checking out footprints that led to a book that had legs, feet, and a smiley face.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

Here are my previous ones:
    -2004- No bulletin board; I had a door that opened to the outside at my school
    -2005- A board game. It was something along the lives of traveling through the year in Jasztalville.
    -2006- It was a stars and stripes theme. Their names were on stars, and behind those were stripes. It was sort of dull, in all honesty.
    -2007- Building a new foundation- I had their names on paint can cutouts with a wooden house I "built" in the middle of the bulletin board. I had some saws and other random tools in there as well.
    -2008- Welcome to the jPod- I actually think this one beats out all the others. I am advertising my room as a technological haven this year. :)

I love the iWork, iLearn idea.

Now I just have to stay true to the bulletin board and have a few iPods in the room. I probably will.

9. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I was re-reading the original post and had to admit...Lately, anytime I hear the words "Welcome Back" I want to break out and sing the Welcome Back Kotter song. Hmmm...may need to play that during Meet the Teacher night.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

I want to sing the song "Welcome back" from some commercial last year that was kind of pop-like. It may have been something like a Staples commercial, but I am not sure.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 27, 2008

In the past I have done Welcome to a Magical Year BB, Fishing for Facts in the ... Grade with kids' names on fish, and similar things. This year I'm doing a jungle BB with the words Swing on in to 5th grade with the kids' names on monkeys. I say a board last year (sometime in winter) that said something like Wii are Learning So Much and each kid created a Wii avatar pic with their name underneath.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

That's neat about the Wii. I think I may start a thread about a technology/music-themed classroom.

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2008

Ms. J, what will you do with the ipods?
    I was thinking about writing a grant for an ipod and a dock but I don't know if they'll accept that.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

cute cute I LOVE snoopy!

16. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I didn't want to give up on my circus decorations so I went more carnival this year. What do you think of "Carnival of Learning?". I have popcorn cutouts for my welcome board but can't come up with a catchy phrase for that.

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

Carnival of Learning is a great name for a theme. :)

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

I like the idea of Snoopy and I think the picture is cute. Does your school have an animal mascot? You could make pawprints with each child's name on them.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 28, 2008

Pop on into Room ____.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

We are firecrackers :) We have a giant firecracker mascot, Sparkle.
    Good idea though!

21. JMichelleD

JMichelleD Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I was going to do an Olympics theme BB this year. I saw a "Bound for Beijing" BB. I liked that idea for this year! I was thinking maybe "Going for the Gold" with a gold medal for each student.

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 28, 2008

That would be neat! You could use patriotic trimmer and decos as well. Call your class Team JMichelleD. I think that would be really neat.

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2008

I have thought about a few components in my classroom, like iRead and the iJournal. I am not going too far with the theme, though... the kids will then think it's lame. (You have to understand the 9- and 10-year old psyche.)

24. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

great post! you helped me by posting this. i was stumped on what to do. now i'm stumped on which to pick...snoopy or ipod. hm...

:)
    LC

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2008

Good idea! Dollar Tree has some red, white and blue border with stars! (I bought is since we are the firecrackers due to the town's HUGE 4th of July celebration)

26. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I'm doing "We're wild about...2nd Grade!" I have a zoo front and lots of wild animals on the oujtside. I even have tiger print border! I have to say Dollar Tree is very dangerous! I found a calender, months, reading border...and I could go on and on..but I wont :)

27. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 29, 2008

My theme this year is more about goals and aiming high so my outside bulletin board is going to say:

This fifth grade class is here to shine!

The students will each have a star with their names on them. At open house they are going to write one goal they have for fifth grade.

The bulletin board will also have the quote:
    ..."If you shoot for the moon and miss at least you land among the stars."

I'm not sure how I will lay out the board just yet as far as colors and borders. Any ideas?

28. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 29, 2008

ipod flash cards...so cool!

29. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I found an enlarged calculator and decided to make one for each student, then post them in the hallway with the title "It's ADDing up to be a TOTALly awesome year!"

Or something of the sort...

30. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 29, 2008

That's a cute idea IndyJo!

31. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 29, 2008

I'm doing a detective theme with my kids this year, although it won't really be in the decorations, just in the the little things. Here are my ideas and resources-there will be a lot more pretty soon, as I'm still creating.

http://www.realclassroomideas.com/206.html

32. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

IndyJo that is so cute I would love to do it also any way to post a copy of the calculator?

33. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I have the calculator at school. I'll be there Wed. and upload it then.

34. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jul 29, 2008

I love frogs so I usually have a huge lilypad with the big teacher frog in the middle and lots of other frog cutouts with their names. The title is "Hop into 3rd Grade".

My partner did a big gumball machine will all the gumballs labeled with their names and the title was "Wel-gum to 3rd Grade."