Welcome Back Bulletin Board

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Jul 27, 2005.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 27, 2005

I would love to hear the different welcome back to school bulletin boards that everyone is doing. I was thinking of an ocean theme with their names on fish cutouts. I will do some kind of title to do with the sea or swimming. I want to make a list that I can draw on year after year. I appreciate anyone who would like to share. :thanks: :)

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 27, 2005

Funny you should ask this...

Last year, I did an ocean theme just like the one you are thinking about. I titled it... "Welcome to a Sea of Success".

I have also used a "star" theme and titled it, "The Stars of Mrs. W's Classroom".

I haven't thought of what I want to do yet... waiting for that perfect image to come to mind.

~*Robin*~

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 28, 2005

5. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 28, 2005

I did a door decoration for several years that turned our really cute. I think the heading I used was "Who Can Crack the Code?" I had these pictures posted along with large plus signs I made out or construction paper. I posted them to look like an equation. It was a word riddle.
    The riddle is "Welcome Back to School" using these pictures.
    Well+comb+back(an arrow pointing to the back of a person)+#2+school
    I taught 1st grade, but even the older kids were coming by to see if they had figured it out.

Also, since we start school in the Summer, I have also covered my door or bulletin board with a red and white picnic tablecloth (plastic), used ant cutouts for a border and had the kids names or information on round paper glued to plastic Solo plates. I staples theseto the wall. The title was "1st Grade is a Picnic". You could also use the sandwich notepads (I think they are Carson Dellosa) to post names or information. I have also used this at the end of the year for a memory board. "1st Grade Was a Picnic".

6. Jake's Mom

Jake's Mom Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I may be "biting off more than I can chew" with this one, but, I'm filling popcorn bags (the small size from the theatre) with newspaper and putting popcorn on top sprayed with a sealer. I'm putting each child's name on the bag along with their picture and my banner will say, "Look Who Popped Into Fifth Grade"----I hope I don't regret attempting this one!

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2005

I'm doing a train (each child's name written on a car) with something like "All Aboard for a Great Year!" I'm anxious to get it done and over with (bulleting boards are not my strong suit ;) ) but the teacher is out of town. Maybe next week if I get a day off of work...

8. Newto2ndGrade

Newto2ndGrade Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I'm going to do a Second Grade Friends theme based on the book by Miriam Cohen. I have cut out a person shape (kind of like the gingerbread boy) and will put each student's name on one. In one of our first centers they are going to do an art project to make the person look like themselves and I will replace it.

9. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

Anyone done a bulletin board for a combo???? Just doesnt sound fun to say welcome back to 2nd and 3rd graders! : )

10. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 28, 2005

I am doing athletic shoe cutouts and music symbol cutouts with the phrase, Grooving Into Grade Three.

Also, I take a picture of each student's face, use camera die-cuts with the phrase Snapshots of Super Students.

11. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

I am using putting each person's name on a popcorn cornal(sp?) cut out and having it look like they came out of the popper and are falling into the bowl. My caption is "Look who's popping into 2nd grade"

Last year I did a space theme and took all the kids pictures on back to school night (Pre-k then) and put there picture under a slushie lid (the round clear kind) and then name on a star with the caption "Blasting off to a great new year"

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

You don't have to mention the year at all - welcome to a new year is okay (though you'd probably want to word it more creatively). I usually get pencils that say 5th graders are great or something like that each year. You could do the same for 2nd and 3rd graders. They aren't expensive. I get them from www.ReallyGoodStuff.com

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

I'm probably going to do "HOP INTO A NEW YEAR". I'm doing frogs!

Lori

14. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

I have two-
    1. "Look who's been spotted in Ms. (insert name) class!" and I use my overhead to trace a ladybug. I am going to add spots with their names and later their pictures.
    2. "Blast into in a new school year" and I again used the overhead to trace a rocket and I am space theme going on. I think I am going to take the dark blue bulletin board paper and spray it with bleach to try a "star" effect when it dries.
    Hope these help!

15. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

I've done the spot one before - only with spotted cows. I titles it - You can spot me in Mrs. H's class.
    Also, I have done a frog one before titled We're "hoppy" to be in first grade.

16. Newto2ndGrade

Newto2ndGrade Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

When I student taught I had a 3/4 combo and our bulletin board was: A 3/4 Split - A Perfect Fit. Each child had a puzzle piece that they decorated with their favorite things. On the first day we took digital pictures and had them glue those on to their pieces.

17. sbernstein

sbernstein Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

What a great idea. I went to google, found images, and made the Welcome Back to School riddle (in pictures) for kids to solve as they pass by my classroom. Thanks for the suggestion! Susan, Long Beach, New York

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2005

Mine may be with lightbulbs, focusing on the inventor and Thomas Edison theme.

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2005

I'm doing one with frogs (my classroom theme)-"Hop To It Character", and one with apples-"Welcome to Our Bunch". One suggestion: Take photos of all your bulletin boards. You can keep these on file in your computer, or desk. If you don't have a digital camera, keep a disposable in your room. You never know what you might find as a memorable moment.

20. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 30, 2005

I love the idea of taking pictures of all of my bulletin boards! I will definately keep a camera at school.

21. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 30, 2005

I blew up a huge fish bowl using the overhead projector on turquoise colored paper. I printed out cute fish that were easy to cut out from my Print Shop program and microsoft clipart. I glued the fish all over the fishbowl...one for each student. It was too big to put through the laminator unless it was cut in half or something, so I just used a roll of clear packaging tape to go over the front. That way I can write the names of the students on the fish and wipe it off later for reuse. I saw this idea on a web page for back to school ideas...the caption was "School is in!" I also downloaded a cute fish font and printed out the caption. I have this on my classroom door.

22. Ms.D

Ms.D Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

In the past I have used the popcorn idea. I found popcorn boxes and filled them with newspaper topped with yellow shredded paper strips I crunched up. I then found a popcorn graphic (black & white) on the net, downloaded it into a drawing program, enlarged it, and was able to type my students names on them. Then all I had to do was cut out and hang these giant pieces of popcorn on the bulletin board. For giggles, I did pop a bag of microwave popcorn and put a few pieces on the top of each box. Amazingly enough, no one ate it! I was a big hit with everyone!

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 31, 2005

I'm going to put a border strip that says welcome across the top of my student cubbies. It will look so cute and set them apart from the others.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2005

My plan is to ask the kids (in a letter I may home before school starts) to bring in a picture of themselves on the first day of school. My bulletin board is going to say "A Tee-riffic 3rd grade!" with little paper t-shirts on it. The paper t-shirts will say their name and I will tape the picture onto the t-shirt. I will make another set of t-shirts for them to decorate on the first day of school to be placed in their cubbies to personalize them. I'm teaching 3rd grade this year:)

25. mmis

mmis Companion

Jul 31, 2005

4 teachers on my hall use the ocean/beach theme. 2 teachers put 2 rows of white butcher paper on the wall outside their door and painted the blue waves on the bottom half and then a huge sun coming up out of the waves. One teacher then put "We'll Have a Flip-Floppin' Good Time in 1st grade" on the wall. All the kids names were put on flip-flops. The other teacher put her names on sailboats- I haven't seen her title yet.
    The other 2 teachers hung a net outside on their wall and put the kids names on fish. They both had simple titles= "Mrs. Smith's School of Fish"... and "Mrs. Brown's Sea of Friends."