Weird Stuff :)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, May 29, 2010.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 29, 2010

[​IMG]

I've been cleaning this morning and in the process came to a book I treasure very much. When I was working with the district's childcare program before becoming a teacher, if I remember correctly I had sat down in a beanbag with a couple of students during naptime who couldn't sleep. I pulled a book from the shelf to read to them and when I opened the front cover to the "This Book Belongs To" page, my husband's name was written his mother's calligraphy. His mother had donated some things years prior. His mother had recently passed, so I decided I would consider this...well, something significant, and I asked to keep it. I don't believe in much of the "traditional" concepts of the afterlife, but I believe it's more than possible that spirits live on. And while a big piece of me screams coincidence, there is a little piece that wants to believe otherwise.

Anyone else have similar stories? Come on, don't make me feel crazy! :p

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 29, 2010

That's a great story.

I have a kind of similar story. I may have shared this before, but a few years ago my Pop (grandfather) was suffering from lung cancer. When they couldn't do anything else for him they called in hospice. Around that time I started kind of thinking of a poem that I wanted to write about him. I was sort of putting it together in my head for a few weeks, but then one day I decided I should sit down and actually write it down before I forgot it. I worked on it for about an hour and decided I was finished. Literally the second I put the pen down, the phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and it had my grandfather's name. I started shaking and when I answered, it was my mom, calling from my grandfather's house to tell me he had passed away. I always thought it was strange that I was probably writing that poem just as he was taking his last breaths. It was like someone or something knew I had to get that out before he was gone.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 29, 2010

I don't have a story to share like this but I do believe they happen for a reason.

5. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

May 29, 2010

(Hi, Emma35! :) )

I have one that I think sort of fits....my father died in a car accident shortly before my 7th birthday. My father was raised Catholic and my mother protestant. When they married, they decided that we children would be raised in the protestant faith and he had begun to talk about joining my mom's church....back then interfaith marriages were frowned upon. Protestants and Catholics each had their own separate areas in our town's cemetary.

About a month before his accident, he was gone on a trip, and my mom had a dream that he was killed in an accident. In the dream, she was agonizing over which cemetary she should bury him in. When she told him about the dream, he laughed and told her 'in the protestant cemetary, of course'. A month later, he died and she knew what he would want her to do.

Too, at the time, my mom was pregnant with my youngest brother, and although, he never had a chance to know my dad, my mom says that out of all six kids, he is the most like my dad. :)

6. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 30, 2010

what interesting stories :)

7. glen

glen Companion

May 30, 2010

A few years ago, my son and I were driving down to Delaware for a baseball tournament. I can't remember why it came up, but he asked me about converting Celsius to Fahrenheit. I told him there was a formula, but I couldn't remember it exactly.

When we got to our rental, I took out the book I brought with me to read. It belonged to my father and my mom had given it to me shortly after he passed away about a year earlier. In it, I found an airline ticket stub to China from one of his last business trips. I opened the back cover to stick the stub in because I wanted to save it. On the back cover, written in my father's hand writing, was the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit and the reverse.