Weird situation

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by girlblue16, Mar 2, 2008.

1. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

So, I'm a certified teacher, minus the actual teaching job :eek:
    I've been working as a Special Education Para for the past year. The past three months I was given a Long Term Sub position at my school for a teacher on maternity leave. She comes back tomorrow, and I go back to being a para.
    Feels like a huge step backwards. I know I was lucky, in the right place at the right time, thankful, etc for the LT Sub position. But now its over.
    It's going to be weird being the little peon, yet again. Doing the **** work of playground duty, lunch duty, etc.

I feel like I should start looking for other positions, outside of my school, since there are none available at this time. Or, maybe, stick it out for the rest of the year and see what happens.

Any thoughts?

3. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Mar 2, 2008

ohhh sounds like my life. my first year out i taught K in my own classroom. i moved back to my own state with my fiance took a preschool position at a childcare center since teaching jobs were short and a $10,000+ paycut. this year we moved again to an area in ohio even worse off for jobs... i'm a building sub (hated daycare) so i like the work better but i'm still not doing what i love and making even less money!
    my advice... start looking for other positions for the upcoming school year. that way you can keep your commitment to the job your in but be ready for something better next year. if something comes up and they want you to start right away, decide what to do then. i'm sure the people at your school would understand... you are after all in a position you are overqualified for!
    GOOD LUCK!

4. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

One thing I forgot to mention. I really didn't enjoy working with a class of 25. I'm glad to be a para again if only for the small groups I work with (3 kids is usually the max).

I would love to find a school that has small class sizes. Is that just wishful thinking? I love teaching, I don't love disciplining.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2008

I would start looking outside your school. Don't limit yourself to public schools. Most of the time public schools will have large class sizes depending on the area. Private and charter schools normally will have smaller class sizes, but less pay. Good luck!

6. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Mar 12, 2008

I don't think that sicking out for the rest of the year is a good idea. You have good experience witht his district and you want them to have nothing but nice things to say about you. Unless you truly are too sick to work, but in that case how could you be ready for a new job.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 12, 2008

She ment stick, not sick.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 12, 2008

I would continue to work for the rest of the year, but begin to look for a permanent position for next year.

9. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Mar 14, 2008

Thanks that makes much more sense. What a slip up on my part.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2008

This is what I recommend as well.

11. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

If there are no full time teaching positions available, you should start subbing. I was a Special Ed Para for a few years before I stared subbing. I unfortunately don't have my credentials yet, but I think subbing is great experience. I'm working on getting my Special Ed/Multiple Subjects credentials. The general classes I sub in are large classes, anywhere from 35 - 40 students (sometimes 42), but I know special ed classes are considerably smaller. Good luck to you!