Weird situation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacherteaherc, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Teacherteaherc

Teacherteaherc Rookie

Oct 26, 2020

I have a few questions about contract renewal or whether my contract would be renewed as a graduate. My contract ends at the end of the year. I work at a challenging school in a country region in Australia,
    I asked around for whether my contract would be extended and it was mentioned that there is no place next year.
    My photocopying for class is also limited to asking email permission. All non urgent work communication is also done via email.
    I then asked my line manager to add me to all staff email to know more about what is happening and I was added.
    I asked to be put on my performance management as part of working processes and the email was referred to the deputy and in it, it reiterated that it is an ongoing process since the start of term I was in the school (Although I clearly remember that it was mentioned that I am not on performance management). It was also mentioned to progress from graduate to proficient as a teacher, I have to be in a school for 2 years for the graduate portfolio to be signed off.
    What does this mean?

Any opinions and comments? Thanks!

3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Oct 26, 2020

It all looks pretty confusing. It also seems that your various sources are referring to some kind of official policies, and those should be written somewhere. You might ask for those policies or where you could find them. You are playing a game and don't have the rulebook.

Teacherteaherc likes this.
  4. Teacherteaherc

Teacherteaherc Rookie

Oct 26, 2020

What could this mean? Do i then start making my portfolio here at this school? Or is it just a place for me to get some experience?

5. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Oct 26, 2020

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying, but you say "it was mentioned" a couple of times, and "reiterated". It does not seem that the process, goals, and evaluation criteria are well defined. If that is the case, then getting those clarified, preferably through written policies, could help you know where to put your efforts.

Teacherteaherc likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 27, 2020

I've never heard of any of those things. You need to get all of this information in writing so you can look it over instead of hearing it mentioned in passing. That is too confusing.

7. Teacherteaherc

Teacherteaherc Rookie

Oct 27, 2020

I looked it up on the DoE WA website. This is the link. In the beginning my line manager did all that was mentioned there. But for now, it seems I do not have a line manager. Previously the kids often saw that my line manager came in and would suddenly go quiet.

8. Teacherteaherc

Teacherteaherc Rookie

Oct 27, 2020

I just saw that one teacher who used to be a HOLA was leaving and so is another teacher it seems or so. It is very complicated.

9. Teacherteaherc

Teacherteaherc Rookie

Oct 27, 2020

I am still puzzled as I asked to be added to the email for knowing everything in the school. It was agreed to. Yet the principal mentions there is no place for me next year.
    I asked if I am a graduate teacher then my line manager kept saying yes. It was also mentioned to progress from graduate to proficient as a teacher, I have to be in a school for 2 years for the graduate portfolio to be signed off. The deputy who also happened to be the line manager was also included in the email.
    My line manager also wrote in a separate email to me with a template of going from graduate to proficient for the aitsl standard descriptors.
    What does all of this mean?

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 27, 2020

What the heck is a line manager? What is their job??

11. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Oct 27, 2020

The OP is in Australia, unfamiliar territory for most on this board.

Pisces and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  12. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Oct 27, 2020

The things that stood out to me are 1. you have been told they do not have a spot for you for next year and 2. you need two years at a school to move to proficient. If this is year one, then you will not be proficient yet. Are you looking for another job? It doesn't sound like you will be returning to your current site.

13. Teacherteaherc

Teacherteaherc Rookie

Oct 27, 2020

I
    I am intending to look for another job. However it feels as though this has ruined my prospects for doing so. It appears my line manager and the school are unhappy with my performance. For new applications, there has to be a reference from the HOLA or the principal.
    In a recent email I tried to apologise for my inability as a team player in performing for my classes. My line manager (which is my HOLA) replied and said she did not say that and this was cc-ed to the deputy principal who is also the one in charge of signing off the portfolio.
    Previously, I also kept asking if I can get feedback on how I am doing. My HOLA kept saying what do you mean, you are a teacher. All the responses keep leaving me frazzled.

14. Teacherteaherc

Teacherteaherc Rookie

Oct 27, 2020

The problem however is, due to what happened at the previous school, which I went to the union for assistance, my record for teaching was removed. I was free to leave without any record. But I could not find any so I did relief and cannot do any portfolio items. I did then get this current one. But on the record for allowance, I am given the graduate allowance for the second year, which I get it because the previous allowance had been paid.
    The time for my portfolio however is running out and expires in the second half next year.

15. Teacherteaherc

Teacherteaherc Rookie

Oct 27, 2020

The line manager should:
    • know and clearly outline the skills, knowledge, and expectations required of the employee in performing the role;
    • develop goals within the PMP that are specific, measurable, realistic and achievable within the timeframe;
    • inform new employees of the Department’s performance management practices as part of their induction into the work area;
    • use formal and informal performance management strategies;
    • consider the frequency of performance management meetings;
    • review any previous PMPs to inform the performance management process;
    • identify and address any issues that impact on the employee undertaking their role
    and responsibilities;
    • identify and provide access to professional learning that may assist the employee to
    achieve goals and outcomes outlined in the PMP;
    • assist the employee in accessing resources in the Department or those available
    from external providers;
    • where possible, identify ways the employee’s role might be enhanced for greater job
    satisfaction or support of professional growth;
    • provide the employee constructive and timely feedback on their performance; and
    • actively address performance concerns as they arise.
    The employee should:
    • understand their role and responsibilities;
    • reflect on and self-assess their performance in the delivery of the position’s
    requirements;
    • provide evidence of their performance in relation to their job requirements and to
    workplace operational priorities;
    • strive to attain and sustain performance to a satisfactory level; and
    • consider professional learning relevant to their current role and career aspirations.
    From what I understand about it, I am seeing myself as the employee and the one that is developing and should keep asking for feedback, do professional learning, provide as much evidence of my performance, reflect on and think about what is happening and seek clarification, work to the best ability to do the job. And my role is to teach the students well. although the main issue is often when the students see the HOLA whom i call for assistance to come in, it is fine yet when they see another unfamiliar teacher come in, it is not. In this case, I see it that the students see me as their teacher but it is an issue of my classroom management but my HOLA sees it as a performance issue.

16. Teacherteaherc

Teacherteaherc Rookie

Oct 30, 2020

Any opinions or comments on how I can turn this around?

17. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Nov 1, 2020

Most of us here are not familiar with the Australian system, what a line manager is, or what HOLA means.
    It doesn't sound like you can do much except begin to look for a job at a different school. When schools make up their mind that they don't want you, it's time to look elsewhere.
    The chances of turning this around are slim and I know this is not what you want to hear