Weird situation, need advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MAJ13, May 3, 2017.

1. MAJ13

MAJ13 Guest

May 3, 2017

Hello,
    This year is my first year to be offered a position. I was offered a lower elementary position early last week. The interview went well. The school seemed to like me. The principal asked if I would be interested in joining the school. I said yes and was told to email a letter of acceptance. I went home and did so. The next day I followed up and was told that it was received and my information would be sent to district and be expecting a call to sign my paperwork. So it has been over a week. I called Human Resources and was told that position is not open currently. They said the principal emailed last week stating she was waiting on a resignation letter. They also stated that they have not received a recommendation for hire anyways. I don't know exactly how to handle this situation. I cancelled like 4 interviews because I did want this position and was offered it. I wasn't aware at the interview that the position was not open. I went to a function and was called in for an interview the next week for that particular grade level. Any suggestions? My heart is a little broken because I got so excited. Now I don't know if I even have the position.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 3, 2017

That is a weird situation. How did they call you if the position wasn't open?

As far as the hiring process, sometimes it takes some time. At both schools I've been at, I've been offered a position by the principal, but dealing with HR has been a completely different situation and can often take sending in more paperwork, re-giving information, and signing various contracts and agreements. The two people/offices do not always work together seamlessly... keep politely trying, and I hope it works out for you.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2017

continue to interview until you have a signed contract in hand.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 3, 2017

It sounds like they either non-renewed somebody and are waiting for them to resign in lieu of resignation, or for some reason or another, they have reason to believe somebody is resigning. I'd call the principal back and seek clarification. It could be that somebody is waiting longer than expected to put in a letter of resignation.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  6. PetrMishikoff

PetrMishikoff Rookie

May 4, 2017

I'd recommend hearing directly from the horse's mouth - perhaps a simple and polite prod to the principle may clear up the matters. I've seen the administration and HR not communicating, or the principle is simply hiding behind HR - if it's the latter, perhaps it's best to move on as you may not want to be under that type of leadership in the long term regardless.

7. Mrs Teacher

Mrs Teacher Rookie

May 5, 2017

When they confirmed that they received your letter of acceptance, was that via email or just verbally over the phone? Honestly, I'd contact the principal (maybe a quick phone call) to explain the situation. She offered you the job so clearly she likes you enough to be able to answer a simple logistics question. Maybe just say that HR doesn't seem aware that I have accepted the position and maybe ask if there's any paperwork you need to pick up and/or deliver to move the process along. It's not rare for HR and a building to lack communication, so hopefully it's just a simple confusion. Definitely call the principal.

In the meantime, do not turn down or cancel interviews.

8. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

May 6, 2017

Keep interviewing. Nothing is for certain until you have it in writing, and you need to look out for your own best interests.

PetrMishikoff and Leaborb192 like this.