Weird job interview on Friday

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gr3teacher, Jun 20, 2015.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 20, 2015

I am interviewing on Friday for a job as a math resource teacher. The teacher who is leaving was just giving a job in the district central math office. I'm not super-crazy about the position itself (lots of meetings, overseeing CLT meetings, leading math interventions, serving as math coach, local data collector, etc)... but the pay increase (same pay scale, but with 11 pay periods instead of 10, with the 11th not including any benefit or association deductions)? Yep. I sure am interested in that. I'm reasonably hopeful I'll be offered the position since the principal specifically asked me if I was planning on submitting a resume, and when I did send it, she offered me my choice of times. There will be other applicants, and some with more experience than me, but I'll see how it goes.

So what's weird about it? Well... it's my current school, and it's my own principal that asked me about applying. The only two references I listed on the resume were... the two people I was submitting the resume to; my principal and assistant principal. Even weirder, it's a panel interview including, among other people, my team leader and two of my best friends in the school... unless any of those three end up submitting resumes themselves, which is entirely possible.

Weird all around, but here's hoping for the best. I won't be particularly heartbroken if I don't get the position. If not for the pay raise, I wouldn't be applying. Still, interviewing for current friends and administrators will be a new experience.

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jun 20, 2015

Good luck...if your district is like my district you're going to want some references other than the people interviewing or the P. I went through a similar situation when I got my current job I had both the AP and the P as references. Both of whom interviewed me and wanted to give me the job. However, in order to present a case and a more balanced interview to the board they asked for two other people I could list as a reference.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2015

It sounds like your administration wants to give you the job.

I would go in dressed professionally and treat this like an interview for a school you don't know.

It does sound like a good career move.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 20, 2015

It sounds like they want you in the position, but they are following protocol.

We read here a lot of people finding a job posting and interviewing, only to learn later that the admin already planned to give it to a current faculty member. Could it be that type of situation?

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 20, 2015

I'd like to think it's being done as a formality, but my principal has done this with other internal candidates and given the job to an external candidate. She actually did it to me three years ago... and to add insult to injury, she had me sit on the panel for all the non-me candidates.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2015

Your P sounds wacky! Do you really want to go into a semi-administrative job there?

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 20, 2015

I like my school, I like the idea of a pay raise, and based on how my district handles administrators (and based on hints she has dropped), this is her final year at our school.

This time is different because then, she definitely did not want me to move... I was a SPED teacher going for a 6th grade classroom position, and she liked me as a SPED teacher. Now, I don't know if she wants me to move or not... and I'm happy where I am, so either way works for me.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 20, 2015

I refuse to sit in on interviews for new hires because of this.

10. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jun 22, 2015

Are you at the same school you were 3 years ago now? You were a sped teacher, got out and now want to go back? Wow! I wouldn't jump back into sped for a pay raise. Money is good but mentally I was not good

11. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 24, 2015

Sounds like a good sign! As everyone said, treat it formally as if you never worked at that school. I also didn't get hired at the school I student taught and hired someone else. So do your best and show the principal you're worth it!