Weird issue - shared desks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jan 18, 2019.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 18, 2019

My students have been hiding notes and drawings where students in other classes will find them.

I teach multiple classes of students. Someone, or multiple someones, is putting little notes into desks or shared containers for others to find. They'll be folded up somewhere where they can't be easily seen by me. Usually, my classroom management is pretty tight, so I'm not sure if they're making these notes in other classes and bringing them into my room or what. It seems like I'd notice someone drawing a picture and ripping a page out of a notebook during a lesson, but kids can be sneaky.

Anyway, the notes say things such as ":couplekiss:Sofi is so cute! :blueheart:LOVE Ryan". It's clear that "Ryan", or whatever name is signed, is not the actual creator of the note.

This isn't a gigantic issue but it's annoying to have students bring the notes up to me and complain about them. Usually I take them and throw them away.

How would you address this and will talking to all classes help or make it worse? I'd ignore it but it embarrasses some students and distracts from learning.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 18, 2019

What grade levels do you teach? My students call them kites.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 18, 2019

Upper elementary.

It most likely is just a couple of students, so I hesitate to talk to all of my classes lest it become a "thing". I have no idea who's making them.

5. physteach

physteach Companion

Jan 18, 2019

I've made general announcements that "I found some notes that people left. While some of them were nice and were just saying hi, some were a little bit mean spirited, even if you didn't mean them to be. We need to find a solution for this. I think that it would be best to NOT leave notes, but maybe we could make a wall where we put kind notes for each other publicly so everyone can be happy with how much we build each other up. Does anyone else have other ideas or opinions?"

MrsC and otterpop like this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 18, 2019

I love this idea!

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 18, 2019

Fixing the problem in elementary is far better than having to deal with it in high school. Please let me wish you the best of luck - update us about how this works out.