Weighting Grades ~ %!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, Sep 30, 2010.

  1. Starista

    Starista Cohort

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2006
    Messages:
    671
    Likes Received:
    1

    Sep 30, 2010

    Hello!

    Newbie to 3rd grade here with a quick weighting question!

    I've taught lower primary in the past but this is my first year in 3rd and am I asking for some tips on weighting grades.

    I plan to start this in the 2nd quarter, which believe it or not is right around the corner!!! :)

    If you weigh grades, please let me know what % you allocate to tests versus quizzes versus homework, etc.

    Also -- how exactly do you grade homework? Are you looking for completion/effort rather than accuracy? THANKS SO MUCH. :hugs:
     
  2.  
  3. Mr D

    Mr D Comrade

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2008
    Messages:
    299
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 30, 2010

    I teach 4th and 5th grade math and social studies. I teach in a Catholic school so I also teach religion to 5th grade (my homeroom).

    For me, the weighting of grades depends on the class. I grade most assignments, and grade them for accuracy. Occasionally I check papers for completion but don't count them in the average when I do. In math, we have a grade (sometimes two) just about every day, so it is a lot of grades. Because of this, I have classwork and homework set to 65%. This seems like a lot until you consider that there will probably be around 30 grades in this category by the end of the nine weeks. Tests and projects are the remaining 35%, and there are usually 3 or 4 grades in this category.

    For social studies and religion, there aren't as many homework/classwork grades, so I split the weights as 50% for homework/classwork and 50% tests.

    This is the first year I've graded math homework for accuracy. I used to check it for completion and had the students correct their own papers, but I find the extra time required for grading the homework is worth it. I can see specifically what we need to spend more time on because I am not just glancing over the paper, I have more instructional time because I don't have to spend as much of it reviewing homework, and the students still get feedback on how they're doing.

    I hope this helps!
     
  4. alschoolteacher

    alschoolteacher Companion

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    Messages:
    153
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 30, 2010

    I weight mine (2nd grade) differently for each subject. 2nd and 3rd together decided to count homework as 5% (just completion/follow directions), Daily as 45%, and tests 40%. That gives us 10% to allocate elsewhere. I use it as follows: spelling-dictation, reading-graphic organizer/story maps, english-writing, math-timed tests, science and social studies-weekly work (5 questions per week), religion-Mass behavior.

    Hope this helps!
     
  5. mopar

    mopar Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    Messages:
    10,924
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 30, 2010

    I don't bother with weighing my grades. I just set up my points differently. Homework my only be a five point assignment, but tests/quizzes are much more (maybe 50-100, depending...)
     
  6. pumpkincup

    pumpkincup Rookie

    Joined:
    May 26, 2009
    Messages:
    77
    Likes Received:
    0

    Sep 30, 2010

    I teach 3rd grade and we are told how to weight our grades.
    Classwork: 65%
    Tests 25%
    Homework 10%

    I included my daily evaluations as class work. Unit and chapter tests are what I include in the test category.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

Total: 269 (members: 2, guests: 243, robots: 24)
test