Weighting Grades ~ %!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 30, 2010

Hello!

Newbie to 3rd grade here with a quick weighting question!

I've taught lower primary in the past but this is my first year in 3rd and am I asking for some tips on weighting grades.

I plan to start this in the 2nd quarter, which believe it or not is right around the corner!!! :)

If you weigh grades, please let me know what % you allocate to tests versus quizzes versus homework, etc.

Also -- how exactly do you grade homework? Are you looking for completion/effort rather than accuracy? THANKS SO MUCH. :hugs:

3. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Sep 30, 2010

I teach 4th and 5th grade math and social studies. I teach in a Catholic school so I also teach religion to 5th grade (my homeroom).

For me, the weighting of grades depends on the class. I grade most assignments, and grade them for accuracy. Occasionally I check papers for completion but don't count them in the average when I do. In math, we have a grade (sometimes two) just about every day, so it is a lot of grades. Because of this, I have classwork and homework set to 65%. This seems like a lot until you consider that there will probably be around 30 grades in this category by the end of the nine weeks. Tests and projects are the remaining 35%, and there are usually 3 or 4 grades in this category.

For social studies and religion, there aren't as many homework/classwork grades, so I split the weights as 50% for homework/classwork and 50% tests.

This is the first year I've graded math homework for accuracy. I used to check it for completion and had the students correct their own papers, but I find the extra time required for grading the homework is worth it. I can see specifically what we need to spend more time on because I am not just glancing over the paper, I have more instructional time because I don't have to spend as much of it reviewing homework, and the students still get feedback on how they're doing.

I hope this helps!

4. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Sep 30, 2010

I weight mine (2nd grade) differently for each subject. 2nd and 3rd together decided to count homework as 5% (just completion/follow directions), Daily as 45%, and tests 40%. That gives us 10% to allocate elsewhere. I use it as follows: spelling-dictation, reading-graphic organizer/story maps, english-writing, math-timed tests, science and social studies-weekly work (5 questions per week), religion-Mass behavior.

Hope this helps!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2010

I don't bother with weighing my grades. I just set up my points differently. Homework my only be a five point assignment, but tests/quizzes are much more (maybe 50-100, depending...)

6. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Sep 30, 2010

I teach 3rd grade and we are told how to weight our grades.
    Classwork: 65%
    Tests 25%
    Homework 10%

I included my daily evaluations as class work. Unit and chapter tests are what I include in the test category.