weight watchers vs. jenny craig

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sweetlatina23, Dec 5, 2010.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 5, 2010

has anyone ever tried these? do they work? how much are they?

I tried slim fast a month ago and now I gained what I lost. I'm not much of a cook, so I need something easy to follow if not I end up :unsure:eating fast food. ideas?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2010

Weight Watchers is a good, sound program. It'll teach you how to choose the right foods and enjoy them in the right amounts. It's meant to direct you towards changing your lifestyle and making good, permanent choices. I think that they have a new program right now, like just released a week or so ago. My husband and I are going to sign up for it later this week. I've done it in the past and been very successful but stopped when I began gaining weight inexplicably. At the time I thought there was something wrong with the WW program, but I have since discovered that it was an unknown medical condition. I wish I wouldn't have stopped WW, but I'm ready to get back into it now.

Programs like Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem force you to rely on their products, which are highly processed and expensive. The advantages to these programs is that the food is already chosen for you, so it's good in terms of convenience. The problem is that there will be times when you will want to eat at a friend's house or go to dinner, and then you have to scramble to find something that you can have.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 5, 2010

What about that ediets? It is supposed to be real food and not processed food... Anybody know?

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 5, 2010

Weight Watchers is better, I think, for the reasons mentioned above. I don't remember what the start-up fee was, but the classes were $13/week. I also don't like how Jenny Craig's food is all processed. It might be low in calories, but high in carbs and sodium. (as opposed to a whole foods diet.)

6. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 5, 2010

how exactly does weight watchers work?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2010

Each food is assigned a certain points value based on its nutritional value. For example, a piece of bread might be 3 points, a serving of green beans 0 points, and a glass of milk 2 points. (I just made those numbers up, I don't know what the actual point values are.)

Every day you are permitted to eat a certain number of points. So, if you were allowed 35 points per day, you could eat whatever foods you like adding up to 35.

You probably won't lose a ton of weight super quickly on Weight Watchers, but you will definitely see a steady, significant loss over time if you stick with the program.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2010

My health insurance paid for me to meet with a nutritionist. She helped me figure out how to eat properly. I was having trouble working with most traditional programs because of some health issues that prohibited certain food types. I took classes that really did help.

I lost 43 pounds in the time I was really working with the progrm. I'm not doing as well now, but I haven't gined any weight back. That was several years ago.

I do better with keeping track of portion sizes and the food pyramid than with points.

Whatever you choose, it's a lifestyle change. There is not a quick fix that will let you lose the weight and then go back to eating what you want.

9. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 5, 2010

it sounds like something I could work with. thanks.

10. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Dec 5, 2010

We did not sign up for weight watchers and pay money... we just follow their guidelines.

We've lost 20 pounds in 2 months just simply following the point system.. no classes or anything else.

It definitly works for us, it still allows you to eat what you want, just in moderation

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 5, 2010

You can also do WW online.

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 5, 2010

13. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 5, 2010

exactly!

When I first joined WW I lost 50 lbs and kept it off for 3 years then I got pregnant. I lost ALL my pregnancy weight (51 lbs) and still going strong = )

WW is about being INDEPENDENT and allowing you to be in control of your food. They do not encourage you to eat processed foods but rather healthy foods (whole grains, lean meats, vegis, etc) Jenny Craig and others like hers basically hold your hand..shall we call them...helicopter diets? lol