Weight watchers day 1 need some tips please

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sumnerfan, Aug 8, 2011.

1. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

Ok so I started WW today and I have to say, it's harder than I thought. I felt like I ate almost nothing during the day, not be design but rather lack of preparation, had a small snack after school and a moderate dinner and I only had 3 points left. What would I have done if I had actually eaten breakfast, or eaten something other than a four point frozen meal for lunch?

I guess what I want to know is how do you make it work?

This is exactly what I ate today:

breakfast- coffee with 1/2 and 1/2 ( a little too much so I counted it as 2 servings)
    snack of a banana
    lunch- healthy choice chicken verde (4 pts)
    after school snack- 24 cheez its (one serving)
    dinner- 4 oz grilled chicken, 1 cup couscous, squash-zucchini-onions sauteed in 1 T olive oil
    dessert- 1/2 c watermelon

Thanks!

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 8, 2011

I gotta get back on the plan and stat.....

All fruits and veggies are now free..... Take advantage of that. Add an apple for sure.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I've just started up again too. I have about 25lbs to lose--they crept on after two surgeries and loss of a lot of mobility.

I'm finding it a bit challenging just because I feel like I'm eating all day (and thus won't lose weight), but also not using near all my points. So I have leftovers for stuff like half a chocolate bar.

The new plan doesn't count fruits and veggies much at all.

I've been cooking a lot of things from Appetite for Reduction (it is a vegan cookbook, however the recipes are all foods that are vegan or mostly so anyway--no weirdo ingredients). I was one of the original testers before publication, and everything is filling and tasty, plus quick and easy prep. Anyway, I recommend it!

Here is what I had today:

Starbucks soy latte - 4 points
    Banana-mango almond milk smoothie with protein powder - 5
    deconstructed sushi salad with brown sushi rice, nori, spinach, romaine, arugula, green onion, avocado, carrots, radishes, sesame seeds, edamame and green-onion miso vinaigrette - 7 points (really full after that; could have eaten less)
    ancho chile lentil tacos - 5 points (I used 2 tostada shells)

Then I wasted the rest of my points on a PMS emergency chocolate bar, but still came in under 29 points (my daily total).

So, I guess I would suggest finding bulkier, lower point foods that are tasty, satisfying and fill you up. I feel like I ate an insane amount of food today. I was sure never hungry.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

Start off with some protein in the morning. An egg is only 2 points. Have that on a slice of whole wheat toast or one of those flat bread muffins. I usually eat a slice of bread of some sort with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a banana. I top it off with a glass of milk.

For my snacks, I eat tons of fruit, since they are free now. :)

At lunch, I make sure I have chicken, turkey or lean ham and a salad that's fully loaded with fruits and veggies. I get those little WW candies (1 pt a piece) for a chocolate fix.

For dinner, I eat a normal meal like I would any other day. If it's high in fat, I'll just cut the portion by half.

When I work the plan, I lose weight every week. Do I always work the plan? Nope. LOL. I have a horrible sweet tooth...

Also drink water, lots and lots of water. Drink a glass before every meal if you can.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

(also, 1T of oil is a lot--try using 1 tsp or cooking spray and adding tiny splashes of water if they pan gets too dry. Your veggies will come out as good or better)

Here is the book that I mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1600940498

Look through it--don't let it being vegan scare you off. You can try a few recipes using Amazon look inside. The sushi salad I made is on pages 20-21. The recipes are all great, healthy, easy basics. The smokey pea soup is requested by my family all the time, and even my picky, completely non-veg father loved the lentil tacos.

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

Those are all good suggestions. I meant to eat breakie. I just ran out of time this morning. Today I cut some watermelon and canteloupe to use for snacks. I also boiled some eggs to keep in the fridge for something quick to eat.

The oil was actually split between all of us. It was in the squash and zucchini. I just went ahead and counted it because I felt I needed to account for everything I ate. I'm glad to know that others have had success on this plan.

I am actually sticking with the old points plan because that's what I did last year. I'm not planning to go to meetings.

I will definitely try some of the recipes Mollydoll. I'm not intimidated by the vegan part of it. I actually think I could be a vegetarian if my family didn't enjoy meat so much.

What the heck is a flatbread muffin? I really need to go to the grocery. We need good whole grain bread. I tried making my own this summer but it wasn't very good. I also need to stock up on veggies. My grandmother passed away last week and I haven't had time to get to the grocery. I know that sounds lame, but it's true.

The water tip is a very good one. I'm going to start drinking more water tomorrow.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I've been doing WW but stopped when my monthly plan ran out last month. One thing that helps me is only drinking water. I don't like using points on drinks.

I also eat a lot of fruit. I'm not sure how I feel about all fruits and vegetables being free. I didn't lose very much weight with the new plan. I wonder if it's just because I'm getting older, or if I ate too much fruit.

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

Sumner--I'm so sorry about your grandmother. It makes complete sense that your routines and emotions will be out of whack for a while. Don't beat yourself up about that!

You could easily make the meals in AFR for yourself veg and add on meat for everyone else if you wanted. Or they might not even miss the meat.

I wonder about the free fruit too! I can't eat much fruit because I can't handle much sugar, but I imagine it would be easy to pile on lots of extra calories with fruit if not careful.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

From the meetings, I hear that combining the old and new will not work. So, your fruit will still count if you are on the old program.

You do need Olive Oil every day, so do use it.

I had the same problems my first week. I did not use my points wisely, and did not lose. Keep it up, try various foods, and it will come.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

There is no way I'd be able to keep up with Weight Watchers. I do so much better just counting calories with my app. I was just going to warn against filling up on fruit, because much of the fruit is quite full of calories. I still eat some everyday, but I mostly fill up on celery and carrots, egg whites, and sometimes a small handful of berries. My husband (who isn't on a sodium-restricted diet) often uses pickles as his filler. It can get rough sometimes. Also, it seems like Cheez-its are very high calorie and low nutrient (I'm not judging, they were one of my favorite foods, and the 100 calorie version just isn't the same) so it seems like that would have been a lot of points.

With my calorie counter app, it gradually dialed down the amount of calories I needed. Now that I have lost 55 pounds and don't really plan to lose more weight but instead focus on toning and maintaining, my doctor told me to gradually dial back up the calories until I get to a point where I haven't lost for two weeks then stay there. I'm not sure how WW works, but that seems like way less food than I got to eat in a day, even when I was at 1200 calories. One thing that helps me is putting all my food for the day in with breakfast so I can plan out what I'm going to eat and know that if I eat all of my snacks before lunch then I'm going to be really hungry later.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 9, 2011

Here's the best thing you can do for yourself. Make a master list. Sort it any way you want but the point is to think of all the foods you CAN have and how many points and put them on a list. You can add to it whenever you want. Sometimes when we get in a bind, get in a rut, are busy, etc. the mistake is that we forget what we CAN have because our brain is fuzz. Taking the time to have a master list takes that work out for us.

What are your triggers? Make sure you plan those too. It's unrealistic to give up things so find similar alternatives that will work.

I'm not talking about a meal plan. I'm just talking about a list of foods. I started by listing foods in every food group and then by meal types.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2011

I wasnt advocating not consuming any, but the recommended plan amount is 2tsp a day, which is 2 points. A tbsp has 4 points. If struggling with points, it's an easy thing to consider cutting since I assume most people get more than they need if they are cooking. I'd rather use my points on a delicious fresh vinaigrette!

I easily use up a lot more than 2 points day in oils. I get cranky if I have to limit it too much on my salads.
    1tsp is plenty for sautéing a pound of veggies, and that leaves a lot left over for things like salad dressings etc. Sometimes I add a tsp or two of flax oil to my smoothies. I also make things like edamame salads with a bit of toasted sesame oil--very yummy.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

Are you doing the new program? I don't know how you could have possibly gone over on that amount of food...

15. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

A great website for recipes is http://www.skinnytaste.com She posts the points value (old points and points+) of each recipe on her site and all of the ones I've tried have been good and husband (who is not on WW) approved.

16. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 9, 2011

sjnkate, that is a great website !! I love all her pictures, thanks!

17. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 9, 2011

I live her cookbooks! I may just have to get this one. We make her vegan cupcakes and love them. Even had my baking students make them and they thought they were great too. Her brunch book has lots of yummy stuff in it as well. Thanks for the recommendation, didn't know about this one. And ordering it from Amazon gives me a good excuse to get her cookie one too :).

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

That sounds so delicious!

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

I'm so sorry about your grandmother. :hugs:

The "flatbread muffin" I was referring to isn't really a muffin. LOL. I was thinking "egg McMuffin" in my head which is why I called it that. Anyway, here it is: http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/ProductDetail.aspx?catID=994

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

I made the sushi salad that mollydoll posted, minus the rice, because someone ate the leftover from the fridge, and it's delicious! (I had to go to three stores to find the miso, but it's so worth it!)

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

Also it is a common mistake on WW that newbies think they need 2 T not 2 tsp of oil, so they spend 8 points on it instead of 2. We've all been there. lol. I did it.

22. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

Thanks for all the responses ladies.

I am doing the old plan. I went last year and 'collected' the booklets for 12 weeks but never we able to get into the right mindset. Now I've decided it is time and I kind of jumped in without a plan, hence the cheez its. They weren't the best choice, but it was after school- I was hungry, the kids were hungry, and I was lucky that I was able to exert enough self control to limit myself to one serving. Just to clarify, I didn't actually go over my points yesterday I still had 2 left, but I felt like so many had been used and I didn't have anything to show for it. I guess that's why you stay away from convenience foods.

I did take some of your suggestions today. I drank more water and I brought a fruit with me today.

Right now I'm sitting here starving with 11 points left for the day. I'm waiting for DH to get off the phone and make dinner. I don't think he realizes I'm getting ready to gnaw my arm off.

Bandnerd, lol now I know what those are. We call them sandwich rounds here.

sjnkate: thanks for the link. I bookmarked it in my diigo account. She has some good looking food.

cutnglue: the list is a good idea. I'm a planner and I need to have my points planned for the day. I don't like to just 'wing' it.

Just for the heck of it I thought I would post my foods and points here today. Let me know if you see anything that is off or could be improved.
    points for day 26
    coffee with 1 T 1/2 n 1/2 1 pt
    2 boiled eggs (eaten at different times) 4 pts
    parmesan fish and pasta (smart one) 8 pts (!)
    1 cup watermelon 0 pts
    large banana 2 pts
    points left 11

23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Having 11 points left for your dinner and afternoon snack is really a good number of points. Your goal is to eat every single one of those points, not have a single leftover.

The processed frozen meals, even the WW ones, are pretty high in points and, to me anyway, not very substantial. Spending 8 points on probably 1 cup of food for me wouldn't be worthwhile unless it were exceptionally delicious, which, I'm sorry to say, a WW frozen meal is not. I think you'd be better off with something heftier and bigger with more protein, like a wrap with lots of julienned veggies and some chicken strips or black beans and a tasty spread or avocado or something like that. You could probably have that for maybe 6 points and add some zero-point fruit or veggies to accompany it. That would leave you with 13 points for the rest of your day (dinner and an afternoon snack, maybe a late night snack too if you're into that). You could do low-points-value soup or steamed veggies with fish, along with a big glass of milk and maybe a cookie or bowl of popcorn, no problem.

24. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

:whistle:I guess I just want to horde my points. I'm afraid I might need them later:whistle:

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Bad idea! In my experience, WW won't work if you don't eat all those points. If you feel like you're not eating enough food and really need more points, add exercise because you can add points back in. Earn 2 points by walking, earn 2 points to eat.

26. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

I don't really want to horde my points. There is just something about knowing they are all gone and that's it for the day. You bring up a good point about exercise. I hadn't really thought much about the fact that I can add points through exercise. That may be my saving grace, knowing I can eat something else if I 'earn' it through exercise.

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Are you doing the plan with the Flex Points? That one had an additional 35 points per week that you could use at any time. If you have one of those "hollow days" where nothing seems to fill you up, just dip into your flex points.

28. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

Man, I'm so far off my diet today. I'm blaming the upset stomach and fever from the antibiotics I'm taking for the staph infection on my leg (which is severely limiting my workout options.) Back on track tomorrow! I didn't even bother putting any food in my app for today. It's my "calorie amnesty day." I give myself one or two a month now that I'm trying to back out of losing weight. My other one will have to be my birthday this month.

29. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

Be careful - you said you brought fruit today, but if you are doing the old plan, you don't get free fruit. That's only part of the new plan. If you try to mix them they won't work.

Use your flex points and get exercise for more points!

30. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

Thanks. I brought watermelon which I thought was zero but is actually one point. I appreciate the heads up. Right now all my spare time is going into reading the essays I assigned last week. I'm so far behind already, but I honestly did it because it was what was best for the kids and not what was best for me. I'm slowly getting caught up. After that I can exercise.

31. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

Yes! I just figured out what you meant. I do have weekly points. Do you use those? I remember the consultant telling us you would lose more if you didn't. That's about all I remember about the weekly points.

32. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

My leader told us that in her experience people tended to lose more weight when they DID use those points. I think she said it was because they were less likely to cheat or go on big binges due to feeling starving at the end of the day. In any case, if what you're doing isn't working, you've got to do something different, so maybe the weekly flex points is worth a shot.

33. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

It's been better. I guess it just took some getting used to. For some reason I'm hungry tonight so I've used 4 of my weekly points. I think it's because I didn't have a veggie with dinner. Today at lunch I had another frozen meal and some broccoli. I ate the veg first and got full before I finished the glazed chicken so I didn't eat it all.

I know you aren't supposed to, but I've been weighing every morning. Believe it or not the scale has gone down some every day this week. I'm down about 2.5 pounds this week.