Weight Loss Motivators/Inspiration

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 1, 2009

There are all sorts of things - I am pretty much sticking to the 30 day challenge that they have on there... they have just simple running, in-line skating (uses wii fit balance board), boxing, strength building, and more. They have instructional videos and a calorie counter so you can see approximately how many calories you burn each workout. I'm now at a point where I am trying to do 2 workouts a day - one before my kids are out of bed and one after they go to sleep - because I like doing it so much. Oh, and there's the option to do high, medium, or low intensity. I have been doing medium or high intensity in the morning and low intensity at night. I think I'm even sleeping better (or at least deeper) than I did before I started this. If you have the money, it's a great investment (around $50 I think, and another $90 if you buy a wii fit also).

2. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 1, 2009

Well...I didn't do C25K today. I forgot it was Canada Day so the gym hours are totally screwed up. I would love to run outside but I'm so clumsy that I trip over pebbles and cracks in the sidewalk (tripped and fell into empty garbage cans once and yes they do make a lot of noise when they fall). I went for a 40 minute walk instead.

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 1, 2009

Alisah- thanks for that info. I do have the Wii fit. I might ask for the AE thing for Christmas.

Proud- there is always tomorrow. Yesterday I used some of the smaller machines at the gym. You just push buttons to change resistance rather than move weights. Anyway, I did lots of repetitions at a lesser resistance than normal and I can really feel it today. I did my c25k again today but I need to skip it tomorrow. I think I need a chance for my body to rest, it sort of took a lot out of me today.\

Sorry Ms. I.

You know I hate the fact you have to bust your ass to burn a couple hundred calories but you can eat a couple hundred in one big bite of something.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

Just wanted to say that the C25K program is meant to be done on non-consecutive days, three days a week. When you're new to running, it's important to take a rest day in between since your body needs to adjust to the forces of running.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 1, 2009

Do we run more often the further along we get in the program or is it always 3 times /week?

Found the answer...it is 3 times/week for 9 weeks.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 1, 2009

Okay, well I thought I was doing good by doing more often.

Thanks Emma- I will adjust accordingly :).

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

irx7fani, for me I gain weight (bulk up) when I use heavier weights, fewer reps (6-8 reps). For toning, it's just the opposite...... slightly lower weights with a high rep count (12-16 reps). My weight varies from about 215 to 225...... I'm "toned" at the lower number, "bulked" at the higher one.

How many reps are you currently doing when lifting weights? Like you I believe that guys should stay in excellent shape.

8. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

I stuck with the C25K program, but "cheated" every now and then from week 6 on. I think maybe around week 7, I ran for 45 min. on one run. I physically and mentally progressed quickly when it came to the running. It felt as if I had always meant to be a runner. From week 5 on, I was able to run 3 mi. in 30 min. so even though I stuck with running on non-consecutive days (this is a must for all that are new to runner, your body really does need time to adjust), I extended my runs every now and then because I wanted to challenge myself throughout the last three or four weeks of the program. I now run 3-4 times per week for a minimum up 3 mi. Really abide the non-consecutive day requirement, though.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 1, 2009

Okay I will, follow the non-consecutive day rule, I promise. I used to run all during college and then until after I got married. LOL. I am like you in that I am sure I will push myself on certain days if I can do more. I used to run 6 miles a day but that was during and after college. Certainly not after marriage and kids:)

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

You can go "heavy - low reps" for chest, legs, etc as well as arms... But I know what you mean.... you definitely don't want to just work arms.......

I do leg squats, leg presses, leg curls, etc once a week. It is by far my toughest workout day. Working just arms wont get it...:)

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2009

Thanks lemonhead!

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 2, 2009

Well...I did it! I went to the gym!:D...and.... I LOVED it! Now I remember why I used to be at the gym for hours back in my physically fit "skinny" days. I did day 1 of the C25K challenge and I worked on my upper body with free weights. My friend wants to do a 4 hour hike in the mountains tomorrow (I'm hoping he is counting driving time, :lol:)so I will do my day 2 of C25K on Sunday.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 2, 2009

YEAH PROUD!!!!

:toofunny:

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2009

I went with 2 friends to hike up a mountain. It took us 4 hours and 45 minutes to hike 11.2 KM (approx. 6.9 miles) to reach the top -- and yes, I complained for about the last 1.5 hours up the mountain. I didn't know that we were going to leave the beginner trail and for someone who is out of shape it was deadly, lol. Good thing that I pre-warned my friends that I complain a lot when I exercise :lol:. It was beautiful walking through the mountain though. I saw 3 waterfalls, chipmunks, birds, a glacier, some spring water pools and also 3 elk on the way home. Luckily we didn't meet up with a bear, although I think one of my friend's was disappointed that he didn't have to use his bear spray:D.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2009

OK, I confess:

The whole surgery scheduling thing knocked me right off the wagon!

I'm back on tomorrow.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 3, 2009

Dang! That is amazing!! No mountains by me at all. I would love to do that, sans bear.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 3, 2009

Okay Alice! Hop on in the morning. :)

I was reading up on how important water is while trying to lose weight. I mean I always knew it was good but I didn't know why. (yes I know I should have known that but when you tend to really dislike drinking water...you sort of go in denial on the whole 8 glasses a day thing)

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2009

Wouldn't you have to be really, REALLY close to a bear for that spray to be effective??

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2009

Yup, 5 meters. He also brought a couple of knives to kill it with:lol:. I told him that my other friend will scream and I will use my walking stick to ward it off while he dug to the bottom of his backpack to get the spray and his knife:D. The trail is one of the most popular ones and unfortunately for him, it is rarely frequented by bears.

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

Today I started writing down what I am eating. I caught myself a few times about to grab something mindlessly. This might help me.

Also increased the water I am drinking.

Off to the gym now. I am starting week 3 of c25k. Hopefully I can do it. Seems like a big jump from week 2.

BTW, yesterday I brought a lowfat berry trifle to a party. It was a huge hit and very tasty.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 5, 2009

Well, back to the gym tomorrow!

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 5, 2009

I went to the gym today. I did day 2 of wk. 1 of C25K and I used free weights to work on toning my upper body. I also did about 10 minutes of ab work. I'll probably be doing an outdoor activity tomorrow; either canoeing or hiking again.

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 5, 2009

Yeah Proud! Great job! I wish I had a place to hike. Ms. I you need to get there, girl.

Day 1 of week three wasn't bad at all. I did that then about another half hour on the treadmill, eliptical for 20 min, bike for 5 min(too boring), stairmaster for 15 min and back to the treadmill to cool down. I then did those smaller circuit machines---Life something---. It was hot in the gym today.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 5, 2009

Did the elliptical on level 6 for 30 minutes!! It kicked my butt!

25. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 5, 2009

Although hiking was hard on the way back from the mountain I began thinking how much driving time I would save by applying to a district closer to it:lol:. It is about a 75 minute drive to the hiking trails and if you go hiking for about 4 hours it does make for a long day.

26. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 5, 2009

Congrats TeacherNY, I used to love the elliptical. I'll have to try it out tomorrow if the rain cancels out our hiking trip.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 5, 2009

I LOVE hiking!! There are actually some trails in my neighborhood but I don't want to go alone. Can't find a hiking partner!! I must have lazy friends :lol:

28. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

You can come and hike with me Lemon..... I promise you will have a good time.... Bring an oxygen tank... :lol::lol::lol:

On Tues-Wed-Thur I plan to "bag" at least two "14ers" and maybe a 3rd one in the San Juan Mts....... Anyone out there who doesn't know what a "14er" is??.....:p Normally I can do one a day but I plan to do lots of jeep trails also......

Major.......:)

29. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 6, 2009

I'm about two weeks into my diet and down 14 pounds! YESSS!

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 6, 2009

Wow, that's outstanding Kat53!

31. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2009

Way to go Kat! I was suppose to go canoeing today but the rain put a stop to it, so I haven't done any type of exercise. I'm going to cook dinner early and maybe (hopefully) I will feel like going later tonight after the after work crowd.

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2009

Congrats Kat!!

I haven't had a soda in 7 days.

33. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

:eek: on the 14er...no clue.

All in on the Jeep!!

34. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

What the He**????

You go girlfriend!!!

Edit: what the He** is jealousy only....:eek::D

35. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

STG Yeah on the soda!

I have been trying to drink more water. Did not go to the gym today because I was up so late and I am dragging. I'll hit it hard tomorrow morning but I want to be home in time to see the MJ memorial broadcast.

36. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 6, 2009

:lol:I knew you were joking! :lol:I'm doing this with the help of a doctor so it's just not all me. I wish I could do this on sheer willpower alone but that hasn't gotten me very far!!

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 6, 2009

OK, so I was a good girl and went to the gym today. I try to pick the machines that aren't too close to anyone else. Just out of courtesy I don't want to be right on top of other people unless the gym is full.
    Well, some guy decided to get on a machine RIGHT next to me and he STUNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK OMG I thought I was going to gag or pass out. I finished my workout on the elliptical 5 minutes early because I couldn't stand it any longer :mad:

38. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

ewwwww!

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 6, 2009

LOL, I would have gotten off pretty quickly too & got on something else! :lol:

40. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2009

Gross!!