Weight Loss Motivators/Inspiration

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 24, 2009

ok, I am off to my walk. My insides are at war with each other but I"ll ignore & move on. I weighed myself & have gained a pound. Need to lose not gained! Awww! Well, here I go.

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2009

I already ate a little breakfast this morning, but I'll try my best not to eat anything else today. I want to lose a couple pounds for a party this weekend. :)

Already walked my dog too & I'm still planning on going to the gym later today. I don't think I've ever walked my dog & gone to the gym in one day.

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 24, 2009

I had to go to the gym tonight because I had training all day. I burned 460 calories on the treadmill and then did some arm and stomach stuff.

I really wasn't feeling it when I was there but I toughed it out. I am doing that couch to 5 K thing, too. We'll see.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 24, 2009

I just got back from the gym. 40 minutes on the treadmill. I didn't see too many people with cute gym outfits on tonight. Guess I go to a very casual gym lol

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2009

lemon, stick with it, but don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you feel you need more time or if you've had a crazy week. I can't stress how awesome C25K is. I went from not being able to run more than a quarter to half mile to running 8+ mi. during my long runs...all in about 12 weeks time.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 24, 2009

I can't find the exact recipe with the measurements for the ingredients but this is the gist of it:

Chop up some romaine lettuce, carrots, red cabbage (i also add cucumbers). Top with chicken strips breaded in a mixture of panko breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, salt/pepper, and a little flour. The recipe tells you to fry them in oil but I fry them in a pan with non-stick cooking spray (saves lots of calories). Put the chicken strips on top of the salad with slivered almonds and chow mein noodles (use sparingly). The dressing is what makes it really good. To make it really low fat I blend together low fat or fat free mayo, dijon mustard, white vinegar and honey and a little sesame oil. I don't know the exact measurements but I just keep adding ingredients to the blender until it tastes good. Should be a bit tart with a hint of sesame.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2009

That's great! :thumb: Speaking of cute outfits, I bought 2 gym tops today!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2009

I ran today!!!

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

Excellent...I can get it from there. THanks so much!!

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

Yes! Great job. I just got on the wii to weigh myself. I know I said I wasn't going to worry about what the scale says and I am not going to worry. HOWEVER, a girl can be very annoyed.

I am getting ready to start in a few days so I'll just use that as my excuse now. Today I am going to double my water intake. I have that PD training today so will have lunch somewhere with a very light salad.

Thinking I'll give my body a workout rest today.

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

I'm doing fine with that. I like it. I was on the treadmill for 1.5 hours with 25 minutes of it being c25k

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

Anyone, have some good shoulder/ upper arm exercises for reducing the fat in that area? Mine have been broad all my life, so I am not so sure I can do much with them but tone them up:(

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 25, 2009

What is C25K?

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 25, 2009

Well, it's the gym again today!

How about getting on that rowing machine at the gym where you're sitting & pulling the rope, 1st going in the backward direction? :)

15. smalltowngal

Jun 25, 2009

Teachling~it's a Couch to 5k training program.

I'm having my last soda. After this one, there will be no more sodas in the house.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2009

Exercising a particular muscle or muscle group doesn't reduce the fat in that area; it just tones and builds the muscle there. To reduce fat, you have to do cardio and/or consume fewer calories, and even then you can't target which part of your body the fat comes off of.

Is your broad-shouldered-ness (is that a word) more about your frame than about body fat? If so, that's just going to be how it is.

If it's a fat/muscle-in-the-shoulder-area issue, you'll want to do exercises like the vertical shoulder press, maybe 3 sets of 20. The lateral raise works a different part of the shoulder muscle, so you could do like 3 sets of 20 on that one too.

In general, to tone muscle, do more reps at a lower weight. To build muscle, do fewer reps at a higher weight.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 27, 2009

Yes it is about frame. BUT, I need to tone my triceps too.

I took two days off. But I worked hard today. I was really good on the food too.

How is everyone else doing?

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2009

I am now down 40 lbs! I ate nothing but crap today -- my once a month cheat day:D. I have only lost .5 inches in my chest in the last 3 weeks though:(. I will be starting my exercise program on Wednesday -- once I'm done with school (done at 12:30 on Tuesday:D).

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2009

I think I'm going to do the couch to 5K training program. My school also hired a teacher to take over a maternity leave position and he is also a personal trainer. He is new to the city so I offered to "hang out" with him over the summer:whistle:. We will be going hiking in the mountains and he will be setting up some boot camps for us to do. Thankfully he hates running, so I can work my way up to actually jogging with the couch to 5K program.

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 27, 2009

Congrats on the weight loss Proud!

What sort of exercise program are you going to do?

21. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 27, 2009

oH I see. Wow! I am jealous. I want a personal trainer.

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2009

The best part is that it will be free! I'll most likely cover the cost to drive to Jasper and Banff so that we could go hiking in the mountains, but he said as long as I don't mind him working out also that I shouldn't worry about paying him;). He has been scaring me by mentioning activities with tractor tires and medicine balls though:D. He is seriously one of the nicest guys I have worked with (his Mama raised him well) --- I am trying to get my much younger friend to date him:p.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 28, 2009

I had a personal trainer for about 6 mos from Dec 2006 - June 2007. It was great, not cheap, but I never regretted it for a second! I wish I could have one again now!

24. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 28, 2009

I started my very strict diet today. It's medically supervised so I hope it will combat against my whacked out hormones. I stuffed my face in anticipation for my new diet, so I must admit I have been very hungry today, but no cheating.

25. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2009

Ha, ha! I binged the day before I started my strict diet too! I lasted 11 weeks before my first cheat. I had my 2nd cheat yesterday and have gained 3 lbs :eek:hmy:. I'm hoping that it's all water retention:blush:. Are you doing a program with shots? Good luck on your new way of eating!!

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 28, 2009

Good luck to you Kat!

Proud- That has to be some water weight.

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2009

I'm quite sure some of it is water retention too. I have a stomach ache today...wish I got it yesterday when I was eating all of that crap;).

28. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 28, 2009

Yes, it is with shots. I'm usually a big baby but the injections have been easy. I lost 3.8 lbs. when I weighed myself this morning. I know it's water weight, but I'll take what I can get. For the past 6 months I haven't even been able to lose water weight, so I'm pretty optomistic.

29. smalltowngal

Jun 28, 2009

Kat~can you tell me more about the diet?

30. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

STG-It's called the HCG diet. HCg is a hormone that spikes during pregnancy and menstruation. Combined with a low calorie diet, it burns off abnormal fat cells. There is a scientific explanation, but not sure if I could explain it! The research started in the 1950's by Dr. Simeon and has been found to lose fat more rapidly than just low calorie dieting, and a very high percentage of people keep it off. I have known many people who have been very successful with it. I have also heard that they use it in The Biggest Loser, but not sure if that's true.
    It's extreme, and many people would probably find it controversial, (in the sense that it goes against what many people believe about low calorie diets) but I'm optimistic! :thumb:

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 29, 2009

My BF wants to gain weight too. He's been skinny his whole life. If only I could give him some of my pounds! Yes, just because someone's really skinny, that doesn't mean they're in shape.

Tomorrow, it's back to the gym for me. I want to be able to fit back into some clothes of mine before summer's over.

32. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jun 29, 2009

My motivation is the skinny pic right next to a more recent pic (what I affectionately refer to as my "before" picture).
    As far as actually losing the weight, I have been using Wii Fit and EA Active and love it. I can customize the workouts in EA Active and even after exercising almost daily this summer, the workouts still kick my butt! I've lost about 20 pounds, but I've also made major changes in what and how I eat. I'm actually looking forward to doing some back to school wardrobe shopping this year.

33. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

:( Went to gym and burned 400 calories. Went to Freddy's and ate a full order of onion rings (about 12 of the good kind), handful of fries and half a frozen custard cone.

34. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 30, 2009

:( I'm on vacation & it's been raining, raining, raining & will have more throughout the week. Have not been able to do much but eat, sleep & read. Ah, will hate to weight myself when I get back next week. :(

35. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 30, 2009

At 12:31 pm this afternoon I have officially started my summer holidays. I am planning on doing something active 6 days a week. I will start the C25 running program tomorrow and on Friday I'm driving to the mountains with some friends from work to go hiking. On Monday we are planning on going canoeing and we are also trying to find a place to go horseback riding. I can't wait:D.

36. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

Proud, that c25k is working great for me. I am into the second week. I like it because I get on the treadmill and start it right away with it. Then I am done with that in 25 minutes but I stay on and finish out my hour doing various incline intervals etc. I burn about 400 cals in an hour....or so it says.

It's too hot for me to run outside here. Well maybe early morning it is okay. Once I get to my 3.2 miles I'll probably do that.

37. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

That's great weight loss alisha. What is the AE active? what does it use, PS2?

38. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jun 30, 2009

I don't know what other systems it might run on, but I have it on the Wii. It works with the balance board from the Wii fit - and it's great because with the balance board, it makes sure you are in proper form and everything. I really love it.

39. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 1, 2009

YEah!!!! Proud!!! I am having trouble downloading the music. I can only do it on one of my computers and it has a virus. Everything takes FOREVER! I will attempt again today.

Alisha- I have a wii. What types of things do you do with the AE active? I wish the dance thing on the Wii fit had more to it that those simple routines.

I haven't hit the gym yet today. Didn't have it in me this morning. I was at a friends house until 11:00 and I guess that did me in! LOL!~! I'll go this afternoon.

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2009

Went to the gym yesterday, but I blew it by eating too much! And I'll hv to skip the gym today (tkg the GRE!) but I can eat a lot better!

Oh well, ea day's a new day! :)