Weight Loss Motivators/Inspiration

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 15, 2009.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

lemon, the PodRunner mixes are made for the C25K program, which is a common training plan. So, yes, the mixes go with the training plan from Cool Running. They're free and you just load them onto your mp3 player however you usually do. There's also another set of mixes through the iTunes store by Ulrey, which are also free. Follow the plan and you'll be running for 30 minutes by 9 weeks.

2. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

Emma, we only have i pod shuffles.. so do I have to get them to itunes first....sorry no clue.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

How do you normally load music onto your shuffle?

4. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 18, 2009

I use iTunes, don't think it works with anything else?

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

emma~I can't weight in b/c I know what you look like. :p

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

He he, yeah, you do. You're probably the only one that has ever seen a photo of me. :haha: I don't think I've ever shared one with the forum before.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 19, 2009

STG- you have to check out that music link.

Okay, I blew off my PD today didn't have it in me plus we are leaving for our mini vacation and I am not packed. That means I hit the gym and do that first phase of the couch to 5k thing.

So excited!!! I'll do the music thing next week. No time to figure that out this week.

Oh and emma, I am pretty sure I have to use itunes to load anything on it.

8. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2009

Loading the PodRunner mixes will be no different for you then. I have iTunes as well and that's the way I loaded the mixes onto my iPod Nano.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 19, 2009

I wonder how much weight I would lose if I fasted for a day or two?

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2009

There is a major debate over fasting in regards to weight loss...you should research it seriously before attempting it.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 19, 2009

True. I was was just thinking about a day or two, but I probably can't even do that. I LOVE food too much! At my church, they do 40 day fasts all the time, but at 4pm, you can eat.

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2009

If you fast, you'll lose water weight and if there's any true weight loss, it'll more than likely be muscle mass and not fat. Do you want to be skinny fat? Fasting will also slow down your metabolism and deprive your body of essential nutrients. You may lose water weight and feel less bloated, but in the end you'll do major damage since slowing down your metabolism works against any real weight loss - true fat loss.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 20, 2009

Thanks for the info emmakate218. It would be nice to at least lose water weight.

Yay! I went to the gym 3 times this week.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2009

I've never fasted. But, like most people, I've had the occasional stomach bug that left me unable to eat for a day or two, thus losing a few pounds.

As soon as I got back to my normal habits, the weight came back.

I'm pretty sure that research has shown that the best way to lose weight-- and keep it off-- is through a Weight Watchers type diet. As much as we all hate to hear it, the only way to lose weight is to burn off more calories than we take in. And as far as I know, the program with the best track record is Weight Watchers.

A quick 5 pounds for a wedding?? Then you can probably fast it off. But anything with more staying power requires a healthy diet high in fruit, veggies and protein and low in carbs.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 20, 2009

I am on Weight Watchers right now and I have lost almost 9 lbs in a month. I think losing weight slower and more steady over time will help you keep it off in the long run.

16. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 20, 2009

I agree TeacherNY. I've get most of the weight of following what you did. I stopped during the school year & now I am focusing on losing about 10 lbs that crept up on me. In the mean time, I would like to lose 5lbs in a week. I've been monitoring what I eat & walk at least 3 miles. I wonder what else will help to just speed it up. Right now, I would be happy to lose 5lbs by next week.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 20, 2009

At this point, I need a quick weight loss for a special occasion. I have 1 week to lose as much as possible...I had 1 month, but don't know where the days went! :(:mad:

I've done WW before & did OK.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 21, 2009

I am doing WW, and doing fine. After the first week, it gets harder. Looking back at what I used to eat, it is no wonder I am overweigt. I have eliminated red meat and regular cheese. I might have red meat once a week, after a weigh in.

We had to travel this week end, and eat out. (I know, plan ahead and take your food.) We stopped at Denny's for lunch and they had a great meal on their Senior Menu. It was grilled chicken and choose two sides. I choose rice and tomatoes, and it included salad (or soup). I love to eat out and it really is nice to be able to stay on program when doing do. With meals like that I will eat at Denny's again.

Have you found other places that offer low calorie meals?

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

That is amazing! Great job:)

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

I am pretty sure Applebees has meals on their menu that are portion controlled and better choices.

21. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

Just checked and they do...they are weight watcher choices!

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2009

Well, really most places offer lower calorie options...they just might not compare to their menu neighbors! :)

Sizing is a big factor...I sometimes order from the child menu when allowed.

I don't like Applebees, but my sister likes the WW menu choices there.

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

You can do it Teachling!! I am worried less right now about the pounds because the scale just isn't moving. I am eating well and have been exercising. Well, this weekend not so much but we were at Sea World for 9 hours and I think we walked in circles for 4 of them! Back to the gym today.

I did that first day of the c25k training last friday. I'll start fresh with it this week though. I have to run 1 minute and then walk for 90 seconds and repeat for 20 minutes. I need to figure out how to download that music because I can't keep track of the time on my own.:dizzy:

24. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

I rarely eat there but they have this oriental chicken salad that is phenomenal. (not on the 'good' menu)

25. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 23, 2009

Well, I have been walking & doing some videos but my eating habits got off track. Sunday nite we went out to eat for Father's day. I so over did it to the point I had difficulty sleeping. Ah what a horrible feeling! I need to remember that feeling, the next time I give in to such indulgence! Any way, I am now off to walking again. For now, a new beginning (again). :blush:

26. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jun 23, 2009

I need to stop drinking so much pop/soda. I notice a difference in my energy when I don't drink it b/c I'm so used to the caffiene..or so I think. lol

I know if I eliminated that and was working out more I should be able to loose the 10-15 I'd like to loose. I'm not over weight, but out of shape.

If only I still had marching band to keep me in shape!

27. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

Teachling....falling off the healthy eating wagon is depressing.

Something I read one time in a dieting book was sort of silly but it helps me sometimes. It said when you feel yourself getting out of control or doing senseless munching (that's me), ask yourself "Will I love myself more if I eat this?" If you answer truthfully, the answer is probably no. Like I said, it sounds silly but it does sometimes work for me.

Another thing I do is when I go out to eat for dinner, is skip bread, pasta and potato. I stay with meat, salad, and non starchy veggies. You don't get that Thanksgiving-stuffed-have-to-lie-on-the-couch-with-pants-unbuttoned feeling.

28. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 23, 2009

Well, I did my 1 hr walk, 3.8 mile but that was not where I think I burned the most calories. It was with what happened next. As I reached for the door knob to my house, I quickly came to the realization that I had locked myself out. With temperatures already in the 90s & feeling the heat from the walk, I started to freak. After making an assessment of the situation, I came up with a hair brain idea. I spotted these cement blocks by the side of the house (dh & his projects). I carried them one by one to form some sort of step up by one of the fences that leads to the backyard. Those things weight a ton! So after piling them up, I stepped up & boosted myself to climb to the other side. My heart was beating so fast that I could hear ringing in my ears.

Finally, I get to the other side but as luck would have it the doors were locked too! Awwwww! My dogs come out & for an instant I so wish I could get them to take the piece of wood that's preventing the door from fully opening. So what to do! Well, the only thing left to do - go in through the doggie door & pray I don't get stuck. I managed to wiggle my way in with surprising ease. Mission accomplished! I guess I am not as bad in shape as I thought or was it the adrenaline!? :D

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2009

:lol: Teachling~you definitely got your workout done!

I'm finishing the sodas we have in the fridge, but refuse to buy anymore after its done. Only water and green tea for me!

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 23, 2009

Didn't go to the gym yesterday like I wanted to...must go TODAY!

31. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

(I already replied to your locked out thread but it is not here)

Poor teachling. That happened to me once too. I was pregnant.

32. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

I was going to go at 11, then 1pm and now it looks like it will be 3pm. I am watching a few kids.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 23, 2009

I know, today's another day & it's creeping up on noon! I can't miss another day!

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 23, 2009

I don't eat there either but I got the recipe for that salad from a restaurant cookbook and I make a very low fat version that taste almost as good.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 23, 2009

Yesterday, I didn't have time to go to the gym all day but by 8pm I just dropped everything (left the dinner dishes in the sink even) and got my butt to the gym. I'm glad I did. I felt great and saw a beautiful rainbow on my way there :) That was a great inspiration!

36. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

Just got back from a trip to the gym and then Kroger. My family called while I was at Kroger and wanted KFC. Dangit. I got it for them and I had three grilled wings and some cole slaw. Not too bad I guess. Then I had 4 of the good animal cookies (the ones that come in the cute little box)

I got on the scale at the gym and was up 2 pounds since the last time I weighed there which I think was Thursday. :(

37. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

TeacherNY: I'd love to see that recipe

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 23, 2009

Good for you! :thumb:

I ended up going today too, but I didn't stay as long as I usually do. Will go back tomorrow.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2009

I actually did it! I didn't eat anything at all today. That may be easy for some people to do, but not me! :)

40. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2009

That doesn't sound healthy at all. I hope you're not planning to fast for very long.