Weight Loss Motivators/Inspiration

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 17, 2009

Good for you!

2. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

I know we all have our own taste, but I just feel so curious I'll ask a potentially rude question (not meant rudely, I promise!). Ms I are you by any chance originally from another part of the country?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

:2up:

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

I just sprained my ankle so I can't do much now, but when I'm in the habit-I would run 5-10 miles a day and go to classes at the gym. There was no way I would dress up or put on any makeup for that. I always take off my makeup before going to the gym because any makeup I put/had on would just sweat off! I usually wear bermuda shorts or capris and a t-shirt. But I know some people don't feel comfortable going out without makeup. I used to be really self-conscious about working out, but I soon realized that I would never lose weight if I was worrying about what other people at the gym or track thought.

5. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

giraffe, I like the Leslie Sansone tapes-even the old ones!! I also do her Firm Up Fast strength DVD for strength(it's about 35 minutes) For walking,once you get comfortable with the steps, I set a timer for 15 minutes while watching TV and count it as a mile. I have been using them for almost 10 years, especially when I can't walk outside. Good luck!

6. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

I run, on a long road by my house with my dog. I always wear my 'running' shorts that I 'accidently' grabbed from highschool and found another wonderful pair at the goodwill. They work perfectly and I absolutly love them. I too hate to wear makeup because when I run I work up a sweat and I hate that gunk running around my face, plus sinking into open pores!

I wear whatever has worked out best for me in a run, whether it's a hot day out a snug tank top so I don't have to push and pull at anything. I wear for comfort and comfort only because during an intense workout I don't want to worry about how some clothing is riding on my body.

I recently got my BEST motivation ... I'm going on a camping trip( and canoing trip...think bathing suit, yuck)..... in a week and I'm going to be with all old high school friends.

If that isn't enough to scare you to be in bikini form I don't know what will be. Needless to say I'm starting my crunches again, pounding the water, and going for a run when I get home from school today.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2009

Does mowing the lawn (or jungle in my case) negate the need to work out?
    I will do it later today, I guess. I hate to not do it after being good so far. But, my back is killing me and I am STILL hot (90 minutes and a shower later). It was already 83 at 10am when I mowed it.

8. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 18, 2009

ah, yes being healthy is priority as well as state of mind. I think they go hand in hand. If I feel fat or unattractive, I feel depressed. To me, it affects me body & mind.

Last year, I was working out in the morning at home & would do Zumba at a nite class. I was doing all kinds of things to keep active & watch my eating habits. I also was doing WW. It may such a big difference to the point that evidently I looked about 15 yrs younger according to some. I also felt like I had so much energy & felt up beat. Ever since I went into teaching, all that has changed. I am again in the need to loose 10 - 15 lbs.

I've started walking for an hr about 3.8 miles this week when I don't have training. I want to continue & built from this. Wish I had a support buddy but it's ok I am use to going solo.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

I decided yesterday that I've GOT to lose those 10 pounds!

I'm finishing up the reconstruction surgery on July8th. At that point, my bra size is going to be something less than it was before all this got started. It's only going to make my stomach look that much worse.

I don't have too much to lose, but I really do need to get going. So I was good all day yesterday, and so far today. We are going out to dinner to celebrate Brian's birthday, but that's OK-- we're going to Outback Steak House. A steak and baked potato won't kill me.

For me, it's all about bread. If I can just cut back on the bread, the weight will come off.

If and when it EVER stops raining, I'm also going to start a daily walk.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

I can do without bread. However...and thats a big however, if I do cave and start eating bread, rice, noodles, potatoes...whatever, I crave more carbs that day. I can see it happen but I am not sure if it is pschological. I am so much better with protein foods--or so I think.

Alice, I am trying to lose 10 too. We can motivate each other.

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

Yes it really does as long as you have a decent sized yard,

Teachling-- Hi--- and that is a really good pace! good for you!!

12. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 18, 2009

Thanks, Lemon. Let's motivate each other!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

I only need to lose about 10 lbs as well. Bread isn't really a vice for me. It's just so much easier to make sandwiches for lunch and so bread it is. Sodas are my vice. I've been able to cut back to 2 a day, and I don't even finish them.

14. ILoveGrammar

ILoveGrammar Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

Teachling, Lemon, Alice...I am with you. I have about 10-15 pounds to lose (all depends on how the muscle looks if I need to keep going after 10). I had finally met my goal weight when I moved and started teaching. Now all the cute teaching clothes I bought don't fit and I am stuck back in my stay at home mom yoga pants and Tshirts. I want to work really hard this summer to get back into shape and eat better.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

Sounds like a plan.

I'm not making any grand promises: I KNOW I won't run. I KNOW I'm not going to do situps.

But if I can cut back on the bread and the between meal snacking, and make more of an effort to just WALK, I'll be fine.

I'll consider the walking training for Disney :)

16. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

I don't have any weight to lose anymore, but I run on a regular basis. I start marathon training at the end of August. Yay! I haven't always been as active and actually just started running this past January. I lost about 19 lbs. as a result. Before I started running, I would only take my dog for long walks or do a fitness DVD everynow and then. I didn't start running to lose the weight, I started because I needed an emotional outlet and a challenge. I was thin before I lost the 19 lbs., but now I'm super lean. I'm only 5' tall so that's really the best way for my body to look.

Since I run, I definitely wear technical clothes. It's all about performance. When I'm running, My hair is frizzy and sticking to the sweat on my face, I have boob sweat, my face can be super flushed, etc. I can't afford to wear makeup or wear clothes for the sake of looking cute. That would ridiculous. The way I see it, I don't care about turning heads while I'm running, because I know while I'm dressed up, I'll be turning heads because I'm in shape. When I'm out running, it's purely about me and my performance.

17. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

Emma Kate, from reading your post I wholeheartedly agree. I'm the same way as you, I've always been a runner (soccer player) and I've always dressed for functionality and for myself. I'm not a large person, I'm 5'2 around...115 120 now ( I refuse to step on a scale haven't in 2 years or so) but this is not my usual body type. I am usually more toned and more fit.

It bothers me when I let myself get lazy and untoned and I really just think that's my best motivation. I was at my best friend's house the other day looking at pictures of myself in college, which was only two years ago but I was in much better shape and it was inspiration to get back to the nice trim toned figure that I was.

18. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 18, 2009

:clap::clap:

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2009

No, I was born, raised, & still live in sunny southern California. I'd love to know why you ask? :D

Why, where are you from?

20. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

Well, I was asking because my curious mind keeps painting pictures of what all of my AtoZ friends look like and... well... it's embarrassing but I'll bet all of us do that! Anyway, I have this picture of you that doesn't mesh with my stereotype of the Southern California girl. This has everything to do with ME and not YOU so don't be worried about what my stereotype looks like or what my mental image of you looks like. Just wasn't forming a coherent picture. That is all. Hope that made sense.

21. smalltowngal

Jun 18, 2009

Shelly~don't worry about being rude about wondering what others on here look like because I do the same thing!!...and I'm not rude. :) lol And I've had the pleasure of seeing what some of the AtoZers look like and have been pleasantly surprised that some look nothing like how I pictured them!

emma~that's great! That's why I've started running. Its a great emotional outlet for me and I come back feeling more refreshed and lighter emotionally. I also use those emotions to push me through the tough spots. I'm training for a 5k..that's been my motivation too.

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

STG, it's good to know it's not just me. What I worried was rude was having a stereotype or image of someone based on their location, clothing choices, little pieces of info (like weight, height), and reading into their dialect. Oops, now that I said all that, am I rude?

23. smalltowngal

Jun 18, 2009

no..I take that into account as well.

24. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

He he. I wonder how I'm envisioned, if at all. I say y'all all the time and only God knows what other things I say that lead people to envision me a certain way. Hmm...

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2009

I see! Well, back when one of our posters (forgot her username) started a thread in which many of us posted our pictures, then deleted them for privacy purposes, I posted mine for a short time too. I guess you missed it! :)

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2009

I remember you! That was fun too.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2009

You're right, it was fun, that's what made me want to start a photo thread where we don't necessarily have to show our faces, but post our home life & surroundings! :D

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2009

Another day at the gym down. I was there for an hour! :thumb:

29. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

I saw it Ms. I. I posted mine too, with my boys I think.

30. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

Well, emmakate, I envision you very young with blondish curly hair and very skinny. :) I am five feet tall and if I was thin and lost 19 pounds like you did, I would be way under 100 pounds...by my definition of thin. I guess it depends on body make up. I am short but not super tiny I guess. I was at one time:(

31. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

that would be fun.

Great job at the gym.

32. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 18, 2009

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2009

Thanks & I don't remember if I saw your photo w/ your boys. I probably did. :)

34. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

I like that Proud, I just printed it. I used to run like crazy at the time I met my husband. Often times 6 or 7 miles a day. I'd love to be able to get to 2 or 3 miles. I am going to try this tomorrow at the gym.

Thank you again.

35. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

Alice, have you tried some low fat, low carb bread? I have some, and on WW it is 1 point for two slices--not bad!!! If you can go whole grain on your breads, it helps.

36. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

The C25K program is what got me started. Thank goodness for it! There's also mixes you can download for your mp3 player that are set to the intervals week by week. Click here. The mixes are free!

37. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

Oh boy, do I ever look very young. I am easily mistaken for a 14 year old. It's sad. It's my size and my baby face, though. My personality and the way I dress is not young. No blonde or curly hair. :) I would say I have light brown hair that's medium to long in length and it's slightly wavy if I don't blow dry it. I usually wear it straight.

38. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 18, 2009

Wow, thanks:).

39. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

Oh I did pretty well then emma!

40. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

This is amazing!! This is all free?? I have to figure out how to do this. DO i use i tunes. OMG I can't even type I'm so excited. It goes with Prouds link right???