Weight Loss Motivators/Inspiration

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2010

Yay! I lost about 4.5 pounds within the last wk alone! :D My next weigh-in is in 2 wks.

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 18, 2010

Hope everyone's keeping up the good work!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 18, 2010

I need to start! I'm officially forced into my fat clothes after two weeks of stress and overeating (obviously I was on the brink before).

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jun 18, 2010

Hadn't been in here since this time last year. I am maintaining my 70+ weightloss, but still striving to drop another 10 or so. NOt to much because I went from an 18/20 to a size 4/6 and well... 2's are hard to find! LOL What a problem to have huh?!

Plan on kicking things into high gear this next week. I have had enough "play time" and it's time to get back t business!

I am axious to hear how ya'll have been doing so I am gonna catch up some! ~ Feels good to be back.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 19, 2010

I'll gladly tk on that problem for ya! ;)

6. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

Wanted to see what the progress has been for all. I am so needed to lose weight but it's been challenging when you have family visiting & you are eating out alot. I have been exercising doing the Biggest Loser DVD & walking.

I would love to at least lose 10 lbs before going back to school. I refuse to buy bigger size clothing! :mad:

What has worked for you? Anything that has made you lose a few pounds quickly? Any DVD you enjoyed using for working out?

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 24, 2010

I have been using the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. I bought a few of them on Ebay that had 3-5 workouts on each DVD plus came with weights. I like them because they are all a little bit different and they are not hard to do like some of the other ones I have (the 30 day Shred almost kills me every time I do it LOL). I also get some of them from the library and it's fun to try new ones all the time.

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

grr I hate the last 10 lbs! Weighed today and I'm 2 lbs over the top of my weight range. I've been exercising and eating well however I have to admit...I have not been writing down my food so it's possible that I'm not eating enough. I need to start getting on the ball with this....

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2010

I'm down to my last 5 lbs. I'm in the gym 5 days a week for an hour. I'm now starting to focus more on what I'm putting in my body.

10. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

I just did the 30 day Shred - still in level 1. I am a little depress that I've put on some of what I lost a few years ago. One thing I am concern is whether there is more to it than not eating right/ exercising. I have a dr. appt this coming week & I'll ask him. I will be hating life if it turns out that there something that you can't control because of your body chemistry. I hope that is not the case.

11. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

Been off plan food wise for too long ~ returning tomorrow. That will give me three weeks to at least get that part of me together again! :)

I make an effort to workout (move somehow) every single day. Now I think mixnig the right food combination, and the movement will at least get me feeling good again! Come on tomorrow!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 25, 2010

I've really "fallen off the wagon" w/ working out & eating less. That triple digit weather I had 1 or 2 wks ago just md me not want to go to the gym & I never really feel like going to the gym during the evening.

I seem to have a pattern where for a brief time, I really feel like going to the gym 4-5 days/wk, which I do, but then after that, I don't feel like going much at all. :(

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 25, 2010

That's what I need to be doing & not looking at it like designating a time to exercise. I will do some sort of movement today for at least 20 minutes. :)

14. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 25, 2010

Yay!!! :woot:

15. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 27, 2010

Mine for the summer was being able to wear a bikini, and feel comfortable in it! I wore it out for the first time yesterday... can't say that I feel 100% comfortable in it yet, but I feel much better than I would have 46 pounds ago! I bought this bikini on clearance at the beginning of the summer, and hoped to wear it on vacation next month... I couldn't wait that long :) Here is a pic!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage.asp?id=UVAGRL928

16. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 31, 2010

UVAgrl, you look great! I can sympathize with you concerning balancing work with taking care of yourself. That has been my struggle since I became a teacher. I use to have so much time before & after work to workout but now with teaching I have very little.

Right now, I am struggling with losing 15 lbs. While it's not that much, I feel that if I don't make an effort I'll end up gaining more. It's happen in the past & I don't want that.

Today I did the Last Chance Workout from the Biggest Loser for the first time. I did the first day of the first week & boy, was it intense!! This DVD is very thorough. The workouts are arranged by week and then by day so that you are doing different workouts everyday for 6 days. I think this may become my favorite workout to do. I need to be challenged. I just wish that I could burn a copy to my i-Tunes so that I can have it with me where ever I go. This way I can workout in school before heading home.

17. smalltowngal

Jul 31, 2010

UVA~you look fantastic!!! I finally feel comfortable in a bikini now too. I have about 10 more lbs that I would like to lose, but would be comfortable with 4 more lbs lost.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

OMG UVAgrl! I wanna be you:). You totally have my goal and we have the same start weight. I lost a ton 1.5 years ago and starting gaining it back last October due to school stress. When the stress went away, I couldn't get back on the program:(. I'm going to restart in another week.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2010

I'm trying to find a polite way to say this.

We were at Six Flags yesterday. Never, in my whole life, have I seen so many people in the same place struggle with weight issues. From the woman who had to get off the roller coaster because she couldn't close the latch to the many people who huffed and puffed as they walked up hills, it really was a sad commentary on the health habits of Americans.

I have 10 pounds to lose (I hope; we'll see what damage vacation did.) I think I'll start the Six Flags lifestyle change tomorrow. No big diet, just keeping the mental picture of the people I noticed yesterday.

20. smalltowngal

Jul 31, 2010

That's really sad, Alice. It's amazing how fat our country has gotten.

21. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 31, 2010

I just got back from Kohls, and picked up some cute little dresses for our honeymoon. Love clearance rack finds and coupons. I was also happy to pick up mediums! Yay!

I'm finally back to my marathon training frame, for the most part! I haven't been running a lot this summer, but I've become more a clean eater. I no longer drink diet sodas, less processed foods, lots of fruits and veggies. I've also been following the principals of intuitive eating. It's really helped me focus on a healthy, real relationship with food. I love eating "REAL" food again. ;)

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

buck, did you read a book or are you doing this all on yourself. I have a friend who started eating clean this summer and I'm thinking of joining her.

23. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 31, 2010

I read the book and have read up on the principles of clean eating on the following blogs. I follow more of the 80/20--eighty clean, twenty percent not so for sanity's sake. I really enjoy thinking that for me healthy, no longer means prepackaged applesauces, 100 calorie snacks, etc.

http://stephanieinspired.blogspot.com/
    http://iowagirleats.com/
    http://www.saywhatyouneedtosayblog.com/
    http://yesiwantcake.com/
    http://www.healthforthewholeself.com/

Two of the bloggers are teachers, which gives me hope that I CAN continue this lifestyle when school starts again. FI and I discovered the most amazing produce market today, and we can't wait to go again after the wedding!

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

Thanks for the links buck! Did you read the Eat Clean by Tosca Reno or was it another one?

25. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 31, 2010

I read the Intuitive Eating book.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2010

Alice, I went to Six Flags (in CA) this past Wed. It was fun! I like the rides Scream, Goliath, Batman, & Tatsu.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2010

My goal is that by January I will be at a happy place with my lifestyle...not weight by then, but lifestyle.

I have major issues with food that no one really knows about. When I confess something to a close friend, I believe she thinks I'm teasing. Because that's how insane some of my choices are. Out. Of. Control. That combined with not truly, consistently exercising since my knee, hurt in an accident a decade a go, started giving me problems again while running five or six years ago...not a good combination.

But, since March I've worked to revert to some of my former lifestyle behaviors which have mostly been diet and general health in nature to this point. I'm once again a strict lacto-ovo-vegetarian and for now buy only local or free-range organic eggs but intend to have my own chickens I can care for for their lifetime in the spring. I'm working on the dairy part. As a dairy farmer's daughter, I struggle with this. I hate, hate, hate factory dairy farms but I also know that my family's small dairy farm doesn't mistreat their animals...but they are sold when they stop producing a certain amount of milk and I'm not okay with that. So, again, I'm working through this. But no leather, gelatin, carmine...things of that nature.

Only natural, organic bath and body products.

No more frozen meals...which I ate far too many of. I ate a "diet" frozen pizza every single day.

No more Chocolatey Marshmallow Mateys (because of the gelatin)...this was an intense obsession on mine.

I already drank only water for many years, but I'm drinking more water.

My newest adventure: fruits and vegetables. I eat only, and do mean only, potatoes. The texture of everything else kills me. But I'm trying smoothie recipes. We'll see. This is a very important part of my lifestyle change.

Next up: the exercise! As I said, I want to find not necessarily a stopping point in January, because you really can and should continue to learn, but a happy place. I just want to live a simple life. :)

28. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 1, 2010

Buck, I'll definitely look into the 'clean eating' concept. I've heard about that in the years past but one approach was to eat raw foods & I just know I couldn't do that for the majority of the time. I"m curious to see what yours look like & will check out those links. Thanks!

On another related note, someone posted somewhere about some device they use to monitor their calorie intake. I would be interested to know what it is & where you can find one. Thks!

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2010

OK, I need to get down to business here, starting TODAY w/ my diet & exercise because I haven't been doing well w/ it lately! :mad: I have most of Aug to lose as much weight as I can before I start a new job.

This morning, I walked me dog for 40 min. I should workout at the gym today too, but I'll see.

30. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

I see clean eating as eating as few things as possible without ingredients that I can't pronounce! :)

31. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

I went to the book store today and bought a book on intuitive eating. I'm not too sure if it is the same one you read but I think it is something that I have to read before I buy a clean eating book. I can't wait to get started!

32. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

IE eating is about establishing a healthy relationship with food. It's all about listening to your body and its hunger scales. Thin From Within is good too!

33. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 2, 2010

Tonight I took my daughter out for her BD. Since I ordered a huge meal, I tried a WW stategy. I asked for a to go box and put half the meal in it. It worked. I am very full, and have a wonderful lunch for tomorrow.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 29, 2011

OK, who's planning to look fierce in their bathing suits before this summer's over?! :D

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2011

OK, I'm totally disgusted.

I just went to Kohl's and tried on 6 dresses-- some sundressy, and one as a possibility for a wedding at the end of July.

I came home empty handed and disgusted with myself.

I've always been THIN, and was not happy with the woman in the mirror.

Two of the sundresses had built in bras. So, yeah, nothing showed that shouldn't-- except a difference of about an inch and a half between the left and right heights.

As to the rest, let's just say I felt like I looked pregnant. Poor Julia was trying to convince me it wasn't that bad, but trust me, it was.

So maybe this is the motivation I need to finally get rid of those 15 pounds. Honest-- that's all it is. It shouldn't be insurmountable, right??

I still have to go food shopping; I think I'll load up the cart with veggies and try to stay off carbs for a while.

I know I can't or won't do this alone. I need a diet buddy-- anyone game????

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 29, 2011

I may be going to a wedding the end of July too! I kind fo want to wear a strapless dress because I know it will be hot!

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 29, 2011

I'm in...I have a lot more that 15 to lose, but that's a start!

38. smalltowngal

May 29, 2011

I'm with you Alice! Went to the beach yesterday and even though I felt better about myself than I have in awhile, there's still work to be done.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2011

I just got home from food shopping. I got tons of fruits and veggies.

I'm going to try very hard to limit my carbs and drink a LOT more water (that will be easier in 2 weeks when school is over-- you know what happens to what goes IN...). And I'm going to enlist my neighbor in a daily walk. (It's easier to wimp out on Peter, harder with a friend. So, at least for the time being, I want Vivian to be my walking buddy.)

What's your plan of attack???

40. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 29, 2011

I always eat a lot better during the summer, but I'm also working on adding more veggies. I will keep them in the house to snack on.

I have a friend that I've been working out with periodically this spring. I'm going to talk to her on Tuesday and make a plan for the summer. And, I'm going to get back to using my exercise bike every morning.