Weight Loss Motivators/Inspiration

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2009

Weight Loss Motivation/Inspiration

What things make you want to lose weight?

- Thinking about how good I'll look & even putting up a photo of when I thought I looked my best.

- Knowing that I can buy some new, cute clothes when I've reached my goal!

- Knowing I'll be healthier & just in better shape

- Knowing I'll feel even better

- I also think it's very important to dress in cute/sexy workout attire at the gym or while exercising because when you're in cute clothes, you feel good & it makes you want to work out. It's a psychological thing. I LOVE color & I constantly seek out colorful, unique workout clothing, which I know where to go for that, but most workout wear is so drab & uninspiring.

- Of course I'm doing this mainly for myself, but knowing my BF will like how I look, NOT that he doesn't like how I look now!

- I'm not an egotistical, attention-seeker, but partly knowing that I'll cause some heads to turn! ;)

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 15, 2009

What made me want to lose weight is my son's upcoming wedding in Sept. 2010. I knew I needed a positive way to do it so I joined Weight Watchers. My minister joined one year ago and has lost 65 pounds so far. She is my inspiration. I'm happy to say that as of today I have lost 10 pounds. I feel great and I have a very positive outlook that I can do it. Plus, my son is coming home with my future daughter-in-law in August and I hope he notices a "new mom".

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2009

Very nice!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2009

First, I just have to say, I don't like gyms for that reason: people dressing sexy while working out. Sexy? Really? I find it inappropriate. But, I know the majority of people would disagree with me, and that's okay. :)

What motivates me to lose weight is first my health. But also, it's not so much buying new clothes because I hate shopping, but I have so much clothing from when I was a healthier weight that I've kept. I actually counted just this week since I'm on a weight loss kick and I have I kid you not 18 pair of paints with the tags still on that I can't fit into. And, again, I don't like to shop. And, as a reminder, I moved less than two years ago and gave bags of new clothing to the Goodwill at that point. That's just how much I've fluctuated and how fast I gained this current extra weight. I bought a pair of pants and by the time they arrived (I shop mostly online), I could no longer wear them. Pathetic, I know! *For the record, I have so many new, unused pants as a person who doesn't like to shop because when I find something I like I buy multiples of that item. I swear that I have four of the same pair of pants with the tags still on--two in size twelve and two in size fourteen...can't fit my big toe in either!

I'm seeing progress, though! I've lost thirteen of the many that I need to lose. I'm showing incredible will power by not eating my usual goods even while being home all day.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

Oh congratulations on the weight loss ya'll!!

My reasons are this is just not me and for my health. I don't have a lot to lose so I am fortunate there. But for years I have been trying to take off 10-15 pounds. I guess it's like the last 10 or twenty pounds for people who are bigger than me. Two years ago, I lost and was 10 pounds lighter for a couple months then it snuck back up on me. People tell me all the time I don't have much to lose but I can't lose it.

I started working out and I've worked out 6 times in the last 8 days so I think I am doing okay. Today I burned 501 calories at the gym:) I have gained weight though since I started working out but I will just ignore it for now.

So Ms I, I will say I am just fed up. I always have those mini goals, like before going home to parents house, a wedding, a party, the summer etc. I fail miserably. But right now I am in the "dammit I am done with this" mode. Pardon my French!

:hugs: hugs to all and let's motivate each other!!!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2009

My most immediate reason is my best friend's wedding at the end of the summer (in which I am a bridesmaid). The dress is just a teeeeeeeeny bit too tight. :lol:

In general, I just want to be able to buy cute clothes. I'm basically relegated to the women's section or stores like Lane Bryant. I don't understand why, but evidently every store that has clothes for plus-size women thinks that we loooooooove bright colors, huge floral prints, frumpy and shapeless styles, and elastic. I don't like any of those things.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2009

JustMe, well you're just a load of fun aren't you!

But in all seriousness, well I guess the younger folks will care a wee bit more about dressing cute & they should. Aftrer all, you're only young once! When one's older, they may not care as much, so that's up to them.

lemonhead, I agree. :) I may go to the gym really dilligently, then, a new schedule comes up for me & I sag out a little.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2009

???

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2009

Oh, some more things:

I have a "gym boyfriend" that I use as a motivator. :lol: He's SO cute and he's always there when I am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. (I'm happily married and my hoosband knows that I have a pseudo-crush on this guy, so it's all just for fun.)

I don't care about looking sexy at the gym, and honestly it bugs me when I see people (usually women) who look like they're trying so hard to get noticed. Sparkly belly chains that can get caught on the equipment? Cleavage that's so intense that it looks like your boobs are going to flop out when you bend over? No thanks. T-shirt and capri sweats for me. I think that's plenty sexy. (And I'm in my 20s.)

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

Women wear just about anything on the bottom at my gym but on the top they either wear a t-shirt or one of those tighter fitting tanks with a jogging bra under it.

I don't see anything skimpy, cute, yes...but not too skimpy.

I like my gym b/c it is not all young hot people. It's not really intimidating either....excepts I don't want to walk up to certain machines and just stare at them trying to figure them out. Too self conscious for that.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2009

I'm glad my gym isn't intimidating.

Cassie, I never go that far, but you can tell those types from a mile away. There's those at every gym. The ones who think they're the sexiest things on two feet. I just like the fun, colorful, unique gymwear out there, such as these outfits for example:

I LOVE this brand of fun pants: :)

http://sandiegofit.com/margarita-activewear-pant.htm

Or this for example:

http://sandiegofit.com/images/5017-5016 2009.jpg

13. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 15, 2009

See now, I am in my 20s and I think that the outfit that was just posted would be inappropriate for the gym. I don't like to see anyone's stomach at the gym. I think people should wear shirts or tank tops.

I work out to be healthy and to fit into my clothes. I am like JustMe in that I also have pants that don't fit! I buy them thinking that they will fit and they don't but I don't return them because I want to fit into them. I am not overweight at all but I have a disproportional tummy that I would like to lose.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

Yikes! My bottoms were $8.00!!! Walmart Danskins

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

Actually, if anyone is in need of workout stuff, Walmart has some excellent choices right now. I got a bunch of mix and match things for under 80.00

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 15, 2009

Same for me. I have the dress hanging up in my closet that I have to look at EVERY day so I am constantly reminded to get to the gym or to eat more veggies and less dessert.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2009

Yes, the only downside is that those clothes are high! I bought 1 pair of those once, these:

http://sandiegofit.com/images/501 marg new.jpg

But the fabric is unlike anything you've felt at Walmart or even the Nike store. They are nice!

Well, that's why we have different kinds of stores, so people can buy what they want! :D

I just might reward myself w/ these kinds of pants at the end of the summer.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

I am in WW and having a tough time. It seems I have to lose every pound twice. I am not giving up. No matter what, I am continuing, as I feel so much better. But the weight is still here. I plan to start water aerobics tomorrow. Maybe that will help.

19. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 15, 2009

My doctor did blood tests last summer and said my blood glucose was a little high. I decided to give up my coke and lemon snapple a day. Just doing that and not eating out much has helped me lose some weight. It's nice when your clothes fit looser and people comment on how you look. Now I need to add the exercise since I have the time!!

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2009

My AP is using the Leslie Sansone (sp?) walking videos and has lost 50-60 pounds since January!
    I bought one and it kicks my butt- just the 1 mile one! I can ride a recumbant bike for 6-8 miles and not feel a thing. I do this 14 minute workout and I feel like I am dying! Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to get into a routine yet (16 days straight at the second job, state testing, sinus infection, etc...). Today was day 2 in a row. I do it first thing in the morning before I can find an excuse :lol:
    I went to the Dr last week and almost cried. I have never weighed this much!! I have gained 40 pounds in 2 years (since moving away from home). I was overweight to begin with! I am currently not buttoning a lot of my pants because I WILL NOT buy a larger size!

21. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

Good for you! Two days in a row first thing in the morning is awesome. Keep up the great work. Moving can definitely put a damper on the weight loss.

I agree: do not buy bigger clothes. I'm refusing to do that too.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2009

I also refused to buy bigger clothes. A coworker told me to just go ahead and move up, but I knew that would mean I would be comfortable for several more months. Until what, I get too large for those and move up again? No thank you!

I'm glad I refused to buy larger jeans as the ones that were too tight a month ago will soon be taken to Goodwill! :)

23. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 15, 2009

Good job everyone!! The first step is at least knowing that you need to change something in your eating/exercising habits to really make a change!

24. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

Bravo!!! Since I am at my high right now, I don't have anything too big. I do have some pretty small stuff from ages ago I just need to part with. No clue why I hang on to it. Even if I get in it again I wouldn't wear it.

I'm hitting the gym again this morning. This just has to pay off. I want to get in a good routine so even after school starts up again, I'll still go a few times a week for the health of it since the weight WILL be off!!!

25. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

I agree with you!! I thought I was just really out of shape! I have her walking tapes too. I need to get my vcr out and do those again! That is a lot of weight your AP lost!!

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

What do you do, walk in place or on a treadmill?

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

I use her DVDs too--you walk in place, basically. A few steps forward and backward, a few to each side. You're totally able to do the DVD in a small room. I just move the coffee table out of the way and do it right there in the middle of the living room.

I LOVE Leslie Sansone's DVDs. My favorite is a 3-mile one with small weights. I like her because she's pleasant and fun to watch. She's not that irritating "You can do it!! Come on!! AAAAAAAH!!" like so many fitness people are. She's easy-going.

Just be careful to make sure that you get a newer DVD. Some of the old ones aren't very fun to watch--just a floor and a black curtain in the background. The set on her newer DVDs looks like a yoga studio....Much better.

28. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

MsI~I think it doesn't matter how old you are...we all like to look well put together and in nice clothes.

giraffe~congrats to your AP. I have a friend that lost 50 lbs in 5 months from using those DVDs.

lemon~I refuse to buy larger sizes because I have so much clothing that is just a bit too tight so I just need to lose a few lbs. My motivation is to be more healthy, lose the weight so I am more confident and so I can look good for my dh (even though he says he loves me just the way I am)!...and it would be nice to be able to go into a store and try on anything and have it look good.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 16, 2009

stg, yes you'd think that, but you always see those people at the gym, at work, all over that look like they just took 2 min to get ready. :)

(For example, people may "think" they look alright w/o a stitch of makeup or they don't think they need it, they don't want to take the time to put it on, or whatever their reasoning is, but even the hottest supermodel on earth looks better w/ a little bit of makeup. I'm not talking about a lot, but a minimal or moderate amt).

OK, I don't need to hear any criticisms about anything I said. Everyone has their own opinions about things. :)

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

These sorts of statements bother me. Yes, it is obvious that looking good and getting noticed are important to you. To others, however, the purpose of getting ready in the morning is more practical. I don't feel like I need to get noticed when I'm out and about....I'm happily married and my husband notices me no matter what I wear.

I'm sure you don't mean it this way, but when you make statements like this it comes across as very judgmental and superficial, as though a person is only as good as he or she looks, and if a person doesn't look good (to your standards) then they clearly don't care about themselves/are a slob/fill in the blank.

I don't wear make-up. Ever. I think it's unnatural and I don't like putting chemicals on my face for no reason. (I am also vehemently against animal testing, though I know there are cruelty-free products.) I have plenty of natural coloring in my face and most people think I'm wearing make-up anyway. But for you to suggest that because I don't wear make-up I must be unkempt and hideous...well, I don't like that.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2009

I am truly not trying to attack you, Ms. I., but I must let you know that I agree with Cassie. I have ignored many of your questionable posts concerning appearances, but if you are able to continually criticize people for they way they choose to look, then I feel I can kindly let you know that your opinions on the issue can be taken as being rather rude. For example, I suppose your comment "JustMe, well you're just a load of fun aren't you!" was in response to the fact that I find dressing provocatively at the gym to be inappropriate and perhaps because I dislike shopping.

You are clearly quite passionate about "looking cute", but I hope you understand that many people do not value appearances as much as you do and do not feel they have a responsibility to society to "look cute" which you've indicated you carry. There is nothing wrong with you placing so much emphasis on fashion and appearances in your life, but I hope you can understand that some people choose not to for various reasons.

I mean this wholeheartedly--I think the most beautiful things on Earth are natural. A pristine waterfall unpolluted by man, a field of wild grasses and flowers never before sprayed, a cave (mostly) protected from all the crazy things we do above ground...so to know there are people offended that I choose to get groceries bare-faced, well...that makes me sad.

ETA: And now I'll let this thread get back to your original topic. :) I suppose we could start a new one if you'd like to discuss this more?

32. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

okay, today I have not worked out yet but I will this afternoon after I highlight my hair. No I am not highlighting it for the people at the gym. I just put an all over brown in it and it needs highlights fast!

Yesterday I burned 501 calories there. Today I hope to do 400. I like watching that Rachel Ray show in the morning when I am there. I never really watched her to much but she had Olivia Newton John on there on Monday and LL Cool J on Tuesday an it was good.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  33. smalltowngal

Jun 17, 2009

lemon~I'm going for a run this evening when it cools down. I don't know how many calories I burn, but I have a goal in mind. I know you said you weren't losing like you wanted...are you burning more calories than your ingesting? Dh says this is the quickest way to lose.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 17, 2009

I told myself that I'd walk my dog more this summer & I plan to! :) But, I'm not a morning person. If I happen to wake up rather early & feel like walking him, only then, I may do it. I should wait more often till it's the cool evening time! :D

(BTW, no hard feelings Cassie & JustMe!)

35. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 17, 2009

For me, its health reasons. Diabetes, heart disease and other things run in my family. I would just like to control it as best I could.

I lost about 35lbs so far; with another 20 to go.

I figured I'm better off losing 50-55 and trying my darnest to keep most, or all off instead of having to lose 100.

I give props to all the ppl. who lose 10lbs or even 100 because its a lot to do!

36. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

You go Girl!!!! Guess what I was down 2.2 pounds today. Mind you I gained more than that since I started working out, but hey, any negative movement is fine by me.

I did the treadmill and the excalator stairmaster thing today. I tried the regular stairmaster thing and I have the same problem on that as I do on the eliptical. I also got the guts (haha) to walk up to another machine that works your arms. :) I just ate a Hershey Kiss and a piece of cheese...sheesh. Oh well.

37. smalltowngal

Jun 17, 2009

You go lemon!!

38. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

COngrats on the 35 pounds!!! I agree it is hard work, especially if you are a little older. No longer can I lose 5 pounds in a few days much less a few years!!! Seriously, it is hard and it sort of isn't fair because they say 3500 calories equals 1 pound. Yet you can eat 3500 calories in 30 minutes.....and it takes about 15 hours of walking to burn 3500. Not fair I say!!!

39. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

Maybe you can set your alarm real early and just go for it. You'd feel alot better. You may not even wake up until you are half way done:)

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 17, 2009

True! I just wanted to take a break from alarms since I've been using it all yr! Oh well! ;)

41. smalltowngal

Jun 17, 2009

I ran today for .5 miles...hey, its a start! I'm going to try to keep it up which should be easy now that i have someone to run with to keep me motivated.