Weight loss during the summer.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Jul 4, 2013.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Jul 4, 2013

I am just wondering if this happens to anyone else, or just me. Every summer I lose between 10 and 15 lbs, just to gain it back during the school year. I have worked out every single day since summer break has started. I limit myself to one soda a day too. Does anyone have any helpful hints on how to continue this during the school year? I feel like I just give up come September.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2013

I tend to gain during the summer but I am trying to end that trend. I don't do much of anything during the summer (sleep, eat, read, watch tv, sleep, eat, sleep, and eat), so having a schedule during the school year helps me tremendously.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2013

I'm the same way! I have lost about 13 pounds since I've been out of school, but unfortunately I gained about 25 pounds during the school year! Every summer I successfully lose weight and then gain it back as school starts again. I have no problem going to the gym 6 days a week in the summer. During the school year I am just exhausted all of the time. I can barely keep myself awake after getting home from school much less go work out.

I am also a big emotional eater and obviously I'm way more stressed during the school year. One thing I'm doing this summer is really practicing not eating for emotional reasons at ALL. I've done really well so far even with preparing for a new job and moving, but it's nowhere close to my stress level during the year! I don't have treats to "celebrate" anything and I don't eat any sort of junk/treat because I "deserve" it for some reason either. I've also really been working on choosing healthy foods when I go out with friends which I've always done poorly with in the past. I am reminding myself that I am there for the company and not the food. Tonight I went with some friends to see our city's firework show and my first thought was, "I can't go to fireworks without a snack!" because that's what I've always done in the past. But I reminded myself I was there to see my friends and the fireworks, not eat. I do a "cheat meal" on Thursdays so I can have things I'm really craving then. I'm hoping this helps because I'm not "cheating" for an emotional reason- it's just always on Thursdays. I am just hoping I can keep it up when school starts. Hopefully all of the habits I'm building now will make it easier for next year.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2013

Do you eat out a lot during the school year? (Either lunch or dinner) My first year I was just too overwhelmed to pack lunch and every time my co-teacher and I had a somewhat stressful morning we'd decide we deserved pizza for lunch from the pizzeria across the street. This year I limited to myself to pizza on Friday and packed a salad or sandwich every other day. That really helped.

I try to continue going to the gym during the school year, but it's hard, if I make it 3 or 4 times in one week during the winter then I'm doing good. By the end of the school year forget about it- I'm done.

Do you snack in the classroom? If you do make sure they're healthy snacks.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 4, 2013

I eat better in the summer because-I actually have time to make real meals instead of just getting a frozen one to take for lunch. I love having time to actually look for recipes, plan something, shop for it and cook it. When I get home at 6:00 during the school year-I'm so tired, I don't feel like doing any of that! ;)

7. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 4, 2013

I gain weight during the summer! Trying to change that by working out every day.

I am excited for next school year because the secretary where I'll be teaching does a jazzercise class in the gym after school on Tuesday. No excuses!

8. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jul 4, 2013

The best way I've found to lose weight is not to eat anything solid after 6:30 PM. I eat at 6, and don't eat as much as a crumb until breakfast, and it helps me tremendously. If I get hungry at night, I drink water, milk, wine, or make a cocktail.

9. microbe

microbe Comrade

Jul 4, 2013

I recommend cutting out soda completely and switching to water. I've had friends drop a lot of weight just from that alone!

Other advice:
    • Control what types of foods you have in your home. At my parent's house my mom always buys junk food for my siblings, and I'll find myself eating Oreos without realizing I grabbed some.
    • Avoid eating while stressed and find a new way to calm yourself. I personally play video games. I've read that petting a dog really helps people with their stress. Do you have a doggie that you can pet? :love:
    • Portion control. I've lost a lot of weight and still eat all the stuff I want using this method. (Probably won't last for long, though. :()

Hope this helps. :)

10. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jul 4, 2013

I tend to fluctuate a bit myself, but am more or less stable. I definitely feel that I have more trouble staying fit & eating healthy during the school year - my classroom is right next to the teacher's lounge, so I'm always the first to know when someone has brought in donuts or a treat and/or there are scones leftover!

A few things that I do that seem to help are take walks outside when I don't have lunch duty and it is nice out, stay away from soda - aka "poison" LOL, drink water and I always have my own snacks on hand in case I'm starved - usually raw bars or almonds.

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 4, 2013

Agreed. Your teeth will thank you too.

I ride my bike to school.
    The main problem with exercising during the school year is that you are too tired to do anything after work. Well in the case of riding to work, the choice to (not) work out is taken out of your hands. For me, it isn't that strenuous of a workout (relatively flat, ~5 miles), but I find that it certainly helps staying in shape.

12. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 4, 2013

My goal during the school year is to make it to the gym 3 times a week. I make putting my gym bag together part of my nightly routine along with picking out clothes and preparing my teacher bag. Load up your lunch bag with your own food! Pack breakfast, lunch, and something to snack on. Those smaller snack sized baggies can be helpful for portion control.

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 4, 2013

I tend to overeat. I've lost some weight just by eating until I'm full and that's IT. I don't need to eat like 5 pizza slices if 2 will do.

14. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 5, 2013

Me too!

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 5, 2013

My scales said I weigh 97.1 pounds. Guess it's time to replace the battery.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 5, 2013

Does your scale have a setting for stones? You might weigh 97 stones in England lol.

ETA: No, I tried it on my scale and I'm only 9 stones so that can't be right. Maybe Kilograms? Either way, getting a new battery for your scale can't hurt!

I have had 2 weeks off from school before summer school starts and I have had a slight gain in weight. When I start summer school I will be losing again. I just need the routine of being up early and out of the house and doing things all day. In the summer it's too easy to start your day late and eat out. I probably gained 2 lbs just from the 4th JULY bbq I ate!

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2013

I always lose weight over the summer and gain over the school year. Part of it is just time - over the summer, I can go into the fridge and grab a yogurt or some veggies for a snack to tide me over. Snacking at school is really hard, so I overeat at lunch.

It also helps that it's so hot right now all I want to eat is salad.

18. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 5, 2013

That happened to me for a few years and it was frustrating. I would lose 15 pounds over the summer just to have it all gained back by March.

Then, some people helped me create a personal plan that has helped me keep the weight off. It has worked for me, and I am sure it is one of lots of plans that would work. It has 5 parts to it.

1. I make 4 appointments a week with the gym. I treat them as if they were required meetings with my P. I don't miss these unless I am really sick.

2. I work on creating a menu over the summer of things that will help me to lose weight, foods I like at least somewhat, and easy to prepare. I make sure these meals are planned for some of the days, so I don't give in to less healthy desires.

3. I drink a lot of water during the day. Sure it will mean stopping at the bathroom during lunch time and preps, but it allows me to be less thirsty at the end of the day. That way I can stick to my one soda a day requirement more easily.

4. I make it a rule not to eat any doughnuts or sweets in the lounge. I keep a stash of more healthy food in my classroom for when the temptation arises.

5. I allow myself some comfort food, but only in small amounts. When I have pizza (my personal craving on a tough day), I get one slice, and make sure I get healthy things with it so I still can feel full enough that I don't feel hungry.

This has helped me to keep the weight off. I will admit that during the school year, it is much tougher than the summer due to the added stress. Good luck to you.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 6, 2013

All I know is that the older I get, the harder it is to maintain my weight!

I go the gym regularly during the summer, but it's soooooooo incredibly difficult to make myself go during the school year.

20. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 28, 2013

Just seeing this thread. I accepted a mid-year position this past year after 4 years as a SAHM and gained 20 lbs! I was in great shape before. I had time to hit the gym every day, which also kept me motivated to eat well. When I went back to work, there was junk food constantly floating around the teacher's lounge. I was too tired to cook dinner many nights, and I couldn't stand to give up more time in the evenings with my two young children to go work out. I'm working to take off the weight now. I really need to be more disciplined when I go back to school in a couple of weeks. :(

21. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 29, 2013

Keep doing exactly what you're doing right now during the school year. During the summer, I like to work out in the mid-morning, but once the school year begins I just do it right after work instead (ideally - if I lay down for even a moment there's no amount of motivation getting me back up :lol:)

I'm hoping to stick to the salad bar at my school (we have buffet style lunches - neat but horrible if you're trying to lose weight) this school year, which can be "hard" because it tends to be the same stuff every day (or not healthy stuff- like pasta salad with tuna and mayo).

Maybe even join an evening work out class to change things up- I'm thinking of doing yoga after school on Mondays (our nurse is a trained teacher and offers free classes to teachers).

22. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Jul 29, 2013

I find the opposite is true for me...at school I can't run to the pantry or store anytime I have a craving. I pack daily so I can control my portions and choices. I am starting a new school this year in a new state, but I am thinking of asking if there is any interest in a work out group at the end of the day before we leave for home. We could do a boot camp style station program for 30 mins. Great stress reliever before heading home and facing my own kiddos!

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 30, 2013

I'm not losing weight or gaining weight this summer. I do know that during the school year my eating habits are much better. 3 meals a day. During the summer, maybe 1 or 2 meals a day. I need to exercise more!

24. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 31, 2013

The only way I can keep weight off during the school year is to workout consistently during the school year, which I did this last year. I cut out regular soda drinking 2 years ago, I'll have it when out to dinner or at a social gathering. But, I no longer buy it.

25. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 31, 2013

Make sure to keep your room stocked with healthy, minimally processed foods as snacks. If you have fridge in your room consider keeping veggies as snacks. If you don't, try snacking on nuts. I eat almonds all the time--I usually get a handful when I'm working on grading because they are crunchy and I like to crunch on stuff when I'm working (weird, I know). They are also a great natural source of protein, so if I'm starving but I don't want to leave until my stack of papers is graded I will munch on almonds (or any other nuts) and will able to power through until I get home.

26. andreww22

andreww22 Rookie

Aug 2, 2013

well my suggestion change would drastically change your habits.
    Drop the unhealthy fast foods.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 2, 2013

I need to lose a few more pounds. I'm working in summer school now so I'm thankful I'm not home all day eating LOL They do have a vending machine at school with really bad junk food and sodas. Sometimes it is tempting to get something from there but I keep NO money on me during working hours so I can't run to get junk out of the machine. I also have to increase exercise. My food choices are pretty good I just have to watch portions.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2013

ecteach, you're unusual because I think most people gain weight during the summer because they tend to be less active, travelling & eating the good food, having time to cook more and/or dine out, etc.

I wish I could lose 10-15 lbs during the summer!

29. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 2, 2013

uh, I'm so frustrated. I can't seem to lose weight, and this is the heaviest I've ever been, even when I was pregnant, I was at this weight in my 9th month. I need to lose 20 lbs, but even 10 would be nice right now.
    I'm even more frustrated because I just came back from Europe, and with all the walking and stair climbing I did for 3 weeks, I should have lost weight, at 5-7 lbs. My parents live on the 7th floor and I always walked, never took the elevator. We don't drive there, walk and take the bus, every day.
    Of course it didn't help that I got to eat all my mom's home cooked meals, and Hungarian cuisine is full of the best sausages, other meat products and ice cream - I couldn't say no :( (I managed to say no to a lot of things, but not everything)

But I tried to help the situation with eating a lot of vegetables, less carbs and even less fat, some days I ate mostly tomatoes. I didn't use creamer for my coffee (they don't have the flavored ones) and even stopped using sugar, it was just coffee and milk, all bitter. And the result? In 3 weeks I lost 3 lbs. That's it :(

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

Linguist, I did the same thing when I visited my dad. So many delicious, fattening things I can't get at home.

31. Iheartmath

Iheartmath Rookie

Aug 4, 2013

I'm the opposite! I tend to gain weight over the summer. It's because I actually have time to eat, especially lunch. During the school year, our lunch period is only 30 minutes, which turns into more like 20 min after students leave & I get organized again!

During the summer I also read a lot. And I have a bad habit of feeling the need to eat something when I read! BAD!!!! But hey, it's summer vacation :)