weekly vs. Daily HW

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by lareed, Jul 14, 2009.

1. lareed

lareed Companion

Jul 14, 2009

What are you opinions on sending home homework weekly vs. nightly? It would be so much easier to send and grade a weekly packet, but I am just worried about kids doing it all in one night. What do you think?

3. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

I am also interested to know how it works for teachers who use packets. I was thinking about this for next year.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 14, 2009

As a parent, I loved it this past year when my son for the first time this year (3rd grade) had a hw packet sent home on Fridays that was due the following Friday for his "core" work (language arts, spelling, science and social studies - it was usually 5 pages of a mix of stuff from those subject areas, plus an expectation to read 20 minutes per day). It was great to have the weekend to do a couple of pages if it was a relaxing weekend at home. Having that option for an early start was awesome.

For math it was sent home daily so the kids wouldn't try to work on problems they hadn't been taught yet.

I suspect that of the 4 3rd grade teachers, each one took a turn making the packet for all the 3rd grade students for the week. The cover page was a little different each week, but would pop up again a few weeks later. So that's my guess. Kind of nice to only have to put together a packet once every 4 weeks assuming all classes are covering the same stuff each week.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

I might do something like a packet for spelling activity sheets and grammar sheets because we don't have time to do worksheets in class but the kids do need the practice. I'll teach the skill during mini-lesson in writing workshop then send home some pages.
    I just don't want to have to grade all that stuff! Ugh!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

When I taught gen ed, I did it both ways. Weekly was much less of a hassle. Since I've taught SPED I send ungraded learning centers home. Some students keep them one evening so they get another one the next day. Others keep them longer, so they take another when the first one is returned. (like Netflix!) Lowers my stress level enormously!

7. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

As children are almost 8 hs at school... I only give HW the second half of the school year. see I´m teaching second graders...
    I usually give it on Fridays and they must hand it in next Friday!!!
    The type of activities are similar to the ones done in class.

8. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

We have to assign math and reading hw nightly (school policy). I may send a spelling packet on Monday and have it due Friday morning.

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 14, 2009

I use weekly packets for 2nd grade. (45minutes of homework per night is mandatory in my district for 2nd graders.) Now, 20 minutes of that 45 is reading.

Personally, parents have reacted very favorably to weekly homework packets. That way, if their child has scouts on Wednesday, or ballet on Tuesday, they can pace the work to meet their schedule.

I always warn students and parents not to leave everything until Thursday night, because it is too much to do in one night. I don't really see that happen much. Usually, if it happens once, they realize it is awful for both the child and student, and it doesn't happen again.

The trick with weekly homework packets is to make sure the work is review -- don't put on Wednesday's part something you just learned on Tuesday, because if you have a fire drill on Tuesday or a special program that nobody told you about, you might not get to the material. Instead, put last week's skills as review. This is a great way for students to practice and also to work on skills that you know they are weak in.

I love weekly homework packets for 2nd and would never go back to daily.

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I only assign spelling as a weekly assignment. It is assigned on Monday and due on Friday. My problem would be to try and get everything marked over the weekend and I have too many other things I'd like to do. I mark every sheet of homework. If there are 20 problems on a sheet I look at each problem. 20 kids, 20 problems, 3 times a week that's alot of work, especially if it is math. I give a lot of writing assignments also and mark and comment on each one. That is my way of doing things. So for me packets would be too much. I am happier marking each evening. I have always felt that if the child takes the time to complete my assignment then I should and will take the time to mark and comment his or her work.

11. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I give one sheet each night Monday through Thursday. The skill is either an ELA sheet or a Math sheet that reinforces a recently learned skill. There is no homework on Fridays. Towards the end of the school year, I ease up on the sheets. Students are also expected to read, do math flashcards or study spelling depending on the night.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 14, 2009

I understand what you are saying janlee. We give spelling for each night, reading for each night, but then we give 1 science question, 1 social studies question, and only 5 math problems -- so it doesn't take long to check. I think with spelling and all it only takes me about 25 minutes to check all 20 homework packets.

Everyone has a system that works best for them. There are definete advantages to both systems.

13. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

I have mixed thoughts on this. We have to give 20 minutes of reading and then we usually just do Math which is maybe another 10 minutes worth. I would like to add some Science and Social Studies and If I do I would do a packet so they have more time to do it. If we stick with just ath and Reading I am okay with daily. I do not always check it daily but look to see that they did it. I think we have always done daily so that they can transition to intermediate which usually is daily homework. We'll see what the team wants to do.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 19, 2009

I have never given out daily homework assignments. For me, it'd be too cumbersome to give out nightly homework--knowing how forgetful I can be, I'd probably occasionally forget to pass out the assignment(s). Giving out a weekly homework packet has always worked out well for me! :)