Weekly Reader for Spec Ed students

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ITeachSDCkids, Oct 10, 2008.

1. ITeachSDCkids

ITeachSDCkids Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

Does anyone know what happened to "Know Your World-Extra" magazine by Weekly Reader? I thought it was great for middle school SDC students. I think it has been discontinued. Does anyone know of a similiar high/low news magaizinre like this?

Thank You!

3. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 10, 2008

Ok we are getting something like that at school now from Weekly reader, we have not gotten it yet, but for the life of me I cannot think of the name of it, I took today off so I cannot go look for it,but I will look on monday at the exact name and let you know.

4. ITeachSDCkids

ITeachSDCkids Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

Thank You!

Thank You! That would be great!

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2008

How about News-2-You? I love it! It comes with life skills activities (money, cooking, social skills) as well as math, language arts, etc. It's a great, great current events newspaper for lower functioning kids.

6. Dthig65

Dthig65 Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

There is an adapted version of Weekly Readers for children with special needs. My SLP just ordered the series...I think from the Abilitations catalog. I'll check on that and let you know:)

7. ITeachSDCkids

ITeachSDCkids Rookie

Oct 11, 2008

Thanks I will look at both!

8. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Oct 11, 2008

News-2-You is great. We use it in our program. It comes in a variety of instructional levels so you can meet just about every students needs while teaching them the same thing.

And I as the teacher have fun too! This week was popcorn week. Guess what we had for snack??

9. riggit

riggit Rookie

Oct 12, 2008

I also get the National Geographic Pioneers and Pathways. It is a beautiful monthly magazine with quality color pictures. There are 2 levels. One is a 2-3 grade level and the other is a 3-4 grade level. The interesting things is that the layout is exactly the same so the kids really don't know that they are getting a lower level if you use the grade 2-3. It has also been great in teaching how to use text features. I am saving them each year.