Weekly Poems/Poetry Binder

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by jcgunn24, Aug 11, 2013.

1. jcgunn24

jcgunn24 New Member

Aug 11, 2013

My children's elementary school uses weekly poems to help with fluency. Do you do this? If so, how is it implemented? I think it's a great idea to help with fluency in a fun way.

Thanks, Jackie

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2013

It seems very young for grade three...use leveled text passages instead...maybe an occasional poem but not only poems.:2cents:

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 11, 2013

I have to disagree with czacza based on my personal experience (but only on personal experience, not my teaching experience!) Third and fourth grades were when I learned to love writing, especially poetry! It was all thanks to the emphasis my teachers put on writing and poetry in those grades. I took it so seriously and kept a notebook for years where I wrote poems. My writing skills grew throughout my life and have served me well, and it was all because of the nurturing writing instruction in early elementary. :)

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 11, 2013

We use poems in kindergarten. You have to choose poems your kids can read and use them in shared reading so they have plenty of experience with them before they become part of fluency practice. Over the week we work on creating meaning, visualization, high frequency words, word patterns/families, beginning/ending sounds, etc...

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2013

Third graders love writing poetry...it's a freeing experience different than other kinds of writing.

The OP is referring to oral reading fluency, however.. Poems can be great for that, but I'd hesitate to utilize ONLY poems when the bulk of what students are asked to read in school ( with fluency and comprehension) tends to be narrative texts.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2013

or "informational text," as the CCSS state....

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2013

Often referred to as 'expository' text in CCSS...I agree with you. There's now more of a balance between these two types of text..hence why reading them would be good choices for fluency practice.:thumb: